Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Using Unblock-US or Overplay Smart DNS with TELUS Router

19K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Chescatatum 
#1 · (Edited)
I use TELUS for Optix TV, phone and internet. The modem telus supplies - the Actiontec V1000H - does not allow ordinary users to change the DNS settings, and therefore it doesn't look as though I can use Overplay's Smart DNS service (or Unblock US) to stream from Netflix US, etc. collections.

I already have Overplay Smart DNS configured on my MacBook Air and it works fine, giving me access to Netflix libraries in 48 countries from behind the Actiontec modem/router. But since there's no way to configure ROKU for DNS settings, I need a configurable DNS between my ROKU and the Actiontec.

I've read that I can simply put another device in my system downstream from the Actiontec on the network circuit to which I connect my ROKU. I can set the DNS on it to allow SmartDNS to do its magic. I know I can configure a router, but what about a network switch/hub? Can I set DNS on something like that or do I have to buy an actual "router"?

Has anyone done this? If so, what tips do you have for doing it?

Thanks,

#5 ·
One suggestion - you might want to change your network config and, if possible, use your own router and set the Actiontec to "bridge" mode. This allows you to do all of your own configuration for network stuff which you may not be able to do in a device that is controlled by your ISP.

Here in Ontario Rogers cable rents out devices that are joint cable modems/routers and I have set mine to bridge mode so that this device only acts as a dumb cable modem. That way I have more control over my network settings for stuff like DNS, Port Forwarding, QoS, etc.

#6 ·
Managed to talk to an excellent TELUS technician - a guy who sets these things up every day. His advice was to get a second router and run it "downstream" from the TELUS router. Yes, it's possible using a special password to log in as a technician and change more settings, but local DNA is not among them.

Thanks for the replies. Beavcc, perhaps the Apple TV will allow you to set a local DNS address, but the ROKU doesn't, and my flat panel isn't network capable, so I'm stuck with getting another router if I want to use a smart DNS service.

#8 ·
Done. I had an Apple Time Capsule with an unused "base station" router built into it. Connected the Apple to a LAN port on the TELUS modem, set it as operating in the TELUS DMZ, and have both set to NAT. The Base Station warns continuously of a NAT conflict but network operation is not affected. I've used the smart DNS service to access Netflix in Canada, US and UK so far, no problems. I simply have to log into the DNS service from any computer on my network and set the country. Restart the browser, and the entire network reports a DNS from the selected country. Netflix recognizes my Canadian registered account as coming from whichever country the DNS service is set to. My ROKU is also registered in Canada, and no problems registering for HULU plus or other services so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.