Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - Internet Speed Issues with MTS
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 2013-01-15, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
MrGrinch

Internet Speed Issues with MTS

Hey guys... for those of you in the Winnipeg area with MTS Lightning 10 or 20 plans I'm wondering if you would be willing to share your speedtest results here using http://www.speedtest.net/ Curious to know what you are getting with your respective plans.

I have the 10 plan and have never been able to achieve the posted speeds of 10Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. I'm getting about 6.5Mbps down and only 700kbps up. I know if you read the fine print they state that "Actual speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Many factors affect speeds such as location, customer equipment, topographic and weather conditions and network management." Not sure why they post these speeds then...

Anyhow, I'm not as fussed with the down speed as 6.5 is more than enough for my needs. But I do run a slingbox in my home and am having difficulty at times with the poor up rates. Switching to the 20 plan won't help as that doesn't increase up bandwidth.

Anyone have any advice on how to approach MTS on this? I'm pretty sure I am being throttled versus this being a "location or weather" issue. Oh yeah, perhaps I should mention that I am not an MTS TV customer so I can't take advantage of any other internet packages other than these.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome