Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - Help using a third-party router
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 2012-09-22, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
GraphicsPro

Help using a third-party router

Since I got Ultimate TV I have been using the built-in router of the gateway (wired and wireless connections). For the most part it works great but I find I get timeouts transferring large number of files to my NAS.

So today I picked up a WD My Net N900 and hooked it up. I put the N900 in the DMZ for the gateway and for the most part it worked. However, I found that my wireless would cut out after a while and I could not access the internet, though I could continue to download torrents. To resolve this I would have to reboot the router.

I also had some issues with my STB in the bedroom. The STB is connected to the WD Livewire, which also has a WD TV Live connected to the same Livewire. When the matching Livewire was plugged into the N900 I could access my NAS and get Netflix on the WD TV, as well as watch live TV on the STB. However, I could not access recorded programs on the STB. When I plugged the Livewire into the gateway I could then access recorded programs but had issues with Netflix and accessing the NAS from the WD TV Live. I eventually plugged the Livewire into the gateway and the N900, but then Netflix seemed to fail, though accessing the NAS and recorded shows seemed okay.

I returned the N900 today as I'm pretty sure the dropping of the wireless was a problem with the router as I still had access to the network and could access the gateway by IP, just not the internet.

I know people use routers different than the gateway so I'm curious how other people configure the gateway to work with their router and if it just works worry-free. I realize my use of the Livewire is probably a bit unique from everyone else, but if anyone had any suggestions on just getting a router to work that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone is able to offer.

Kelly

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome