Apple to open first store in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-05-18, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Apple to open first store in Canada

Finally.

Apple will open its first Canadian retail store in Toronto on Saturday, May 21 at 9:30 a.m.

http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/yorkdale/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-05-18, 04:06 PM

Going to be a zoo!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-05-18, 08:51 PM
Veteran

Htpc??????

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-05-18, 09:33 PM

I move this thread from HTPC to Home Compute .... What's New catagory
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-05-19, 11:26 AM

What took you so long Steve?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-05-23, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodaddy
What took you so long Steve?
Ya Steve, and how about you take a look out West? Ahem.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-05-23, 02:45 PM

For anyone who cares, it was a complete zoo. Had to be at Yorkdale anyway that morning, so I decided to check it out. People had been camping out from the previous night (and some for a few days) so the line was at least 4 hours. All this so the first 1500 people could get a free.....

t-shirt. That's right no other deals/discounts/promos, just a free t-shirt. Anyway, went back Sunday (bless this crappy weather) to check it out and just walked right in. Looks like I might be the next convert
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-05-24, 11:47 PM

I'm of two minds over this.
On the one hand, it's nice to have a top of the line approach to retail

But Apple factory stores in our small(er) demographic will spell the extinction of the few independent Apple dealers who have managed to survive the online store, constrained inventory and 3% margins.

Thanks
Trevor
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-05-26, 10:01 PM

I checked it out, I got there 20 minutes before the mall opened and a few minutes checking out the Mini, it got pretty packed.

I tried getting a deal on a Mini Package (Mini @ 1.25GHz, AirPort Express Card & 512MB RAM Upgrade) but had no luck. mad:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-05-28, 03:24 PM

I tried calling the Apple Store last Sunday for information about RAM for my G4 iMac. They did have it in stock, but they wouldn't give out pricing information over the phone. They did say they would charge for installation too. It will be interesting to see how their prices compare to other stores.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-05-28, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach2billy
I tried calling the Apple Store last Sunday for information about RAM for my G4 iMac. They did have it in stock, but they wouldn't give out pricing information over the phone. They did say they would charge for installation too. It will be interesting to see how their prices compare to other stores.
Apple typically charges much more for RAM than third party vendors. Installation at an authorized Apple dealer around here is $30 if you buy the module, or $45 if you bring your own RAM for installation.

When looking at RAM, make sure it is tested and guaranteed compatible with the Mini (get this in writing), a goodly proportion of PC Generic RAM is not compatible, even though it is "PC2700" or "PC3200".

You can install the RAM in the Mini yourself, you need two flexible-blade putty knives (it helps if you grind the edge to a point too). There are videos and instructions on the 'net you can google for.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Last edited by CanadaRAM; 2005-05-28 at 05:09 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-06-10, 11:40 AM

I went to Yorkdale to check out the Apple Store yesterday, and it was nicely set up with a good range of software and accessories, as well as all of the new Macs and iPods. I spend some time flipping through photos on a system with a gorgeous 30" monitor. MMM MMM!!

I was also pleasantly surprised when I asked about the RAM for my G4 iMac - it was $195 for 512 MB (PC 2100 DDR SO DIMM), where other Mac stores had it listed for $219 - $249. I had to get it at that price.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-06-12, 12:06 PM

Why do manufacturers feel the need to open their own retail stores? Apple dealers can't be too excited about this. Apple will probably do better in retail then Gateway, but their market share is so small, who knows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in