DVD Copying Software - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2005-04-18, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

DVD Copying Software

OK Before anyone says anything I have purchased over 400 DVD's at retail but there have been occassional times when I did not want to buy a movie or I wanted to make a copy for my nephew to watch. I believe people should be paid for their product.

But for those occassional times:

I purchased DVDX Copy before they stripped it of copying ability but I find it extremely slow to the point that I can't stand it. It also stops in the middle of copying sometimes and freezes my pc.

I decided to look elsewhere. I downloaded IcopyDVD's 2. I have problems with it too. Even with the add in to decode I get error messages.

Does anyone have a good experience with any of this type of software?
Any better one's out there?

Samsung 55D6300 | Samsung Blu-Ray Player | Bell Fibe TV | X Box One and 360 | Too many DVD's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2005-04-18, 10:56 AM

Software

DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink are good alternatives to DVD XCOPY.

Gordon
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2005-04-18, 11:08 AM

I use X copy no problems here takes about 20 minutes to dub complete movie

Your Mobile Mortgage Broker

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2005-04-18, 11:26 AM
Premium Supporter

I've used DVD Shrink over the past few months to make copies for myself - and not for anyone else - and I find that it works quite well. It takes, on average, about 40 minutes for the entire process.

Last edited by eljay; 2005-04-18 at 01:08 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2005-04-18, 01:01 PM

Be careful here. Your discussion implies illegally coping DVD's

Quote:
but there have been occassional times when I did not want to buy a movie or I wanted to make a copy for my nephew to watch.
and

Quote:
I've used DVD Shrink over the past few months (to share my DVDs with my friends and vice-versa)
Any coping of copy-righted material should be for personal as a backup only after the rights have be obtained (ie buying the DVD/CD). Making copies for nephew and friends is certainly considered illegal on these forums as they have not obtained the rights to these copies.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2005-04-18, 01:04 PM
Premium Supporter

Sorry, I meant to say that I only make copies for myself. I've edited my post accordingly...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2005-04-18, 01:18 PM
Digital Sage

I also can recommend DVD Shrink for personal backups.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2005-04-18, 01:55 PM

To backup my movies to my harddrives, I use DVDDecryptor to copy the entrie disk then use DVDShrink to extract the "Movies only" portion. This really cuts down on the space required and gets rid of the annoying parts at the beginning.

I find that DVDShrink will not rip all movies where as DVDDecryptor seems to.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2005-04-18, 02:00 PM
Premium Supporter

90% of my discs are done with DVD Shrink. The other 10% I rip with DVD Decrypter and then use DVD2one to shrink it. I've found that DVD2one does a better job with movies that need to be highly compressed.

The other thing to consider is how much of the "fluff" you need on your backup. Myself, I rarely watch the behind the scenes, etc. If I do watch it; it's usually not more than once. If you can get rid of the fluff, often you can get a 7.5 GB movie down to just under 5 GB; then there's almost no compression.

I guess part of it for me is that when I'm doing backups, most of the time it's so I can take movies on a trip, and if the discs get scratched or lost I'm not left crying. This is why I try to avoid heavy compression; my laptop is only 500 Mhz so if I can give it less work to do; that's better for it.

Last edited by ken0042; 2005-04-18 at 02:03 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2005-04-18, 02:10 PM
Digital Sage

I have a portable DVD player, so taking a backup is sometimes a better idea than the original. I also exclude various sound tracks i don't need (i.e. French).
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2005-04-18, 02:14 PM
Premium Supporter

I back-up only the movie (no menus, special features, etc.) and either the DD5.1 or DTS soundtrack. To date, DVD Shrink has failed to extract only one movie and, in that instance, I used DVD Decrypter.

Last edited by eljay; 2005-04-18 at 07:00 PM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2005-04-18, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'll try DVD Shrink. I meant I copy my DVD's to lend to my nephew. Don't trust him with the originals.

Samsung 55D6300 | Samsung Blu-Ray Player | Bell Fibe TV | X Box One and 360 | Too many DVD's
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2005-04-18, 04:35 PM

Until the cost of DVD+R9s comes down so you can make a full 1:1 back-up you can always use DVDFab to split the contents of a DVD9 to two single-layer DVD+-Rs.

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg...-fullsplit.htm

No re-encoding or transcoding. Works well. Same as original quality.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2005-04-19, 09:27 AM

CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD is the best combo in my opinion. It's extremely easy, very fast you're looking at 26 minutes from the time you start to the time the DVD is ejected. I've used DVDShrink and I find CloneDVD2 is superior.

Mitsubishi HC1500 projector, 3 FibreOp 2.0 HDTV receivers, Draper 120 inch screen, HD Media PC i7 920, ATI 4800 Radeon.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2005-04-19, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

I managed to use Shrink DVD last night. It worked fine except I had to download Nero for the second step to burn to the DVD. I couldn't figure out how to use B's Recorder to do it. I also found out that for some reason Shrink DVD will not work on pc#1 but will on pc#2. Must be some conflict going on. It worked though. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in