90% of my discs are done with DVD Shrink. The other 10% I rip with DVD Decrypter and then use DVD2one to shrink it. I've found that DVD2one does a better job with movies that need to be highly compressed.
The other thing to consider is how much of the "fluff" you need on your backup. Myself, I rarely watch the behind the scenes, etc. If I do watch it; it's usually not more than once. If you can get rid of the fluff, often you can get a 7.5 GB movie down to just under 5 GB; then there's almost no compression.
I guess part of it for me is that when I'm doing backups, most of the time it's so I can take movies on a trip, and if the discs get scratched or lost I'm not left crying. This is why I try to avoid heavy compression; my laptop is only 500 Mhz so if I can give it less work to do; that's better for it.
Last edited by ken0042; 2005-04-18 at 03:03 PM.