What shows are improving / jumping the shark? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2004-11-22, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

What shows are improving / jumping the shark?

I for one loved ER the first year yet I haven't watched it since. Same was true for Will & Grace, Married with Children and countless other shows.

Season one or two are great groundbreaking shows and then they become parodies of themselves.

The phrase "jump the shark" is often applied to these shows.

Another thread got me thinking. Have shows like Law & Order or CSI jumped the shark? CSI continues to lead but it seems to be resorting to more gross out gimmicks and tricks rather than interesting plotlines.

What do think?

What shows have jumped the shark and what are the up and comers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2004-11-22, 05:57 PM
Veteran

Following Fonzie over the Shark:
The Sopranos
The West Wing
I think Survivor may only have one or two more iterations before it's done
Scrubs is teetering on the brink

Some good up-and-comers:
The Wire - simply the best drama on TV right now (and the best in HBO's stable as well)
Arrested Development - a sitcom that's actually funny (and they don't have to resort to a laugh track)
Lost - Very original, has some depth to it, good characterization. Having said that, though, I give it two season, tops, before it runs out of ideas and starts almost parodying Gilligan's Island
Desparate Housewives - watched it for the first time last night and was surprised to be somewhat interested; had much more of an edge that I expected.

Last edited by Nuje; 2004-11-23 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to give a shout out to "The Wire"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2004-11-22, 06:03 PM
Digital Sage

Sopranos went Shark jumping a few seasons ago. Not the greatest season for Survivor but this is what happens when teams get aligned via gender (whole or part).

The Wire gets no credit but it's HBO's best drama.

2.5 Men also deserves better ratings.

Joey jumped the sharked during the summer.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2004-11-22, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje
Desparate Housewives - watched it for the first time last night and was surprised to be somewhat interested; had much more of an edge that I expected.
That is one of my favourite shows this season, interesting storyline, lots of tension between the characters, and some nice eye candy. I showed the first episode to one of my friends, and he was surprised that he actually enjoyed it lol.

CSI:Miami had a few good episodes at the start of the season, the flash mob one I found particularly amusing (though flash mob's 15 mins of fame passed a year or so ago). But the last few episodes have been a little to graphic for my tastes as well.

2 1/2 Men continues to entertain me, I wasn't particularly fond of it last season, but this season I haven't missed an episode.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2004-11-23, 12:36 AM

I agree on The Wire ... can't believe HBO doesn't shoot it in HD.

2.5 Men is surprisingly good.

Lost's been outstanding.

Six Feet Under definitely jumped the shark season before last. Nate being the death that opened the first episode of that season is the ulimate jumping the shark moment.

The one show that remains every bit as good as it was when it first aired, without any bad episodes that I can think of, that hasn't jumped the shark, that continues to air original and classic episodes even after 6 seasons: That 70's Show!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2004-11-23, 08:12 AM

...which is by the way, their last season.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2004-11-23, 11:42 AM

I like Scrubs...

Improving... hmmm... Not many...
Third Watch - Great show
2.5 Men - Some good, some not.
Scrubs - Not a funnier show on TV
Joey - Getting better every episode.

Jumping the Shark
Desperate Housewives - come on... this show is a simple soap.
CSI - Great show, but what's next? CSI:Boston?
ER - LONG ago...
Will & Grace - Less Karen & Jack = cancelled.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2004-11-23, 11:56 AM
Veteran

So far, I'm really enjoying this new season of "Enterprise". I think they're having their best season so far.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2004-11-23, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcP
So far, I'm really enjoying this new season of "Enterprise". I think they're having their best season so far.
I have to agree. They seem to have really pulled up their socks this season. "To Be Continued" has saved them.

The Amazing Race 6: Is it just me or the coffee getting me excited over this years cast after only one episode?

Lost: Never sure where this show is going. I hope it sticks around long enough for us to find out.

Stargate Atlantis: Sort of like Enterprise. Starting to get good. Rodney is a little bit over the top at times.

Stargate SG1: Still hanging in there after all those years and getting better IMHO.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2004-11-23, 12:24 PM
os

I like:
The Amazing Race
PBS Nova documentaries
Enterprise
Stargate Atlantis
Desperate Housewives
Lost
2.5 Men
DailyShow with Jon Stewart
Sopranos

No list:
CSI - too much blood
NFL, NBA - too many commercials
ReGenesis, Medical Investigation - too dark, grainy picture
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2004-11-23, 02:20 PM
Veteran

I have dumped several shows within the past year...

I still like...

Desperate Housewives
Boston Legal...very underrated cast...Denny Craine
Lost...although very much weaker than the first two shows
Third Watch...will probably hang on as long as Bosko does
Vegas...what can I say...I'm a sucker for the HD glitz and glitter
NYPD Blue...final year
Alias
Sopranos

Almost forgot three of my fav's...
DEADWOOD...Rocks big time...
Amazing Race...almost surpassing Survivor as the best reality show...
Survivor...the next one had better have a twist or...see above...

Last edited by dm_4u; 2004-11-25 at 06:03 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2004-11-23, 04:18 PM
Veteran

I've heard, not read, that 'Dead Like Me' is stopping at two seasons -- no season 3 -- is that correct? Watched season 1 via dvd and really enjoyed it. Didn't watch season 2 via tv, decided to wait for the dvd release. Probably a smart move to quit after two seasons, I think it would be hard to keep up this particular theme for a longer run. A great first season -- hope the second was as good?

I wonder about 'Nip/Tuck'. Did the same purchase season one - not watch season two thing, with this show. Hope there's a season 2 dvd release, but have doubts the show could hold up after much more than a second season. Or was there a season 3?

IMO, Sopranos jumped the shark after season 3. Six Feet Under after season 2.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2004-11-24, 08:38 AM

I hope your rumor of no third season of Dead like Me is just that, a rumor.
Without spoiling the whole 2nd season for you, you will see Georgie is not the same anymore. She will be getting more special....especially at the end of season 2. That is why I hope season 3 will come back.

I can't wait to see the 2nd season of Deadwood. Didn't know what to expect after watching the first episode but got hooked on it big time.
I still am not hooked on Regenesis. When they were showing the teasers last summer, I thought it would be about people making clones or superhumans or what not. I actually find it boring afterall. I'll give it one more look this Sunday and after that, if I still am not mesmerised, I will have to watch something else.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2004-11-24, 10:16 AM
Veteran

Two shows that have changed names and cast are Boston Legal and Missing. Maybe this is "Fooling the Shark".
I watched Boston Legal on Sunday and enjoyed William Shatner and
James Spader. May have to switch to this from Crossing Jordan, whose cast I enjoy, but it's getting a little too graphic.
Guess I can always tape one and then ff through the gore.
Missing used to be called 1-800-missing and has changed cast as well as title.
The new premise is better as the psychic (sp) girl doesn't have to go to sleep to get her "readings" but just touch a person or object or something.
A favourite is Cold Case. I like the characters, the music from the times of the murders, usually the 50's or 60's, and the way they see the victims for a moment at the end of the show.
And how cute is the lead actress?? Could be the main reason to watch.
I know this is almost a copy of the Canadian show, but it is different and I like both of them.

It doesn't matter if your glass is half empty or half full.
Drink up and get a refill!

Last edited by harmer; 2004-11-24 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in