Reliable Computer Builder - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 2004-11-13, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Reliable Computer Builder

Can anyone suggest a reliable computer builder in the North Central Toronto Area? I've always had mine locally built before but the company I dealt with no longer exists. I would like to be able to choose my components but I am also considering something like Dell as I want to explore all options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 2004-11-13, 04:16 PM
Veteran

My computer is Dell. I absolutely love it and have never had a serious problem with it. I would definately recomend them and I would definately buy there again.

I ordered my computer online and liked the option of being able to pick exactly what I whated it to contain. For example, I wanted an internal zip drive which is harder to find these days. They sent the whole by fed ex and it arrived within two weeks. Awesome.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 2004-11-13, 04:44 PM
Veteran

Oakville is off the beaten path for you, but there is someone here who has done 3 for me.

Send me a PM if you would like his name (and company).

simplicity is genius...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 2004-11-13, 04:46 PM
Veteran

Would that be Ken at Edge? He is very good. I use Infonec because it is closer to me.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 2004-11-13, 04:46 PM
Member #1

http://www.infonec.com/

Sleemo recommended it to me so I tried it. The price was good and the components were good.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 2004-11-13, 04:49 PM

Take the plunge and build it yourself! If you can put together and set up a HT system you can build a PC. I did my first build this year and it wasn't that hard. Get some good help at your local PC parts store and maybe a book, take your time, research all your parts and how it all fits together and go for it!

HT/HD Enthusiast
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 2004-11-13, 04:59 PM
Veteran

I built my first PC this year also. Its still working so I guess I did it right. I used the Tom's Hardware guide which was useful.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20020904/index.html
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 2004-11-13, 06:15 PM

Can't beat Tigerdirect.ca prices... Go there, build your computer then either buy it online or go to their store on Woodbine (between 407 and Hyw 7). Bought many things there
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 2004-11-13, 07:17 PM
Veteran

I have never been to their store (warehouse more like), but my parents went there and said it is absolutely amazing. I ordered some cables to go from Tigerdirect.ca and have no complaints.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 2004-11-14, 03:36 AM

Building your computer is an option and it is not difficult to accomplish however there is a disadvantage to doing it. I built the one I am using now but would not do it again because of the warranty problem. I get one year on the parts I used to construct the computer and have to fix it myself if anything fails. If I go to the local computer store and asked for the same system to be built using the same components the cost is much the same and I get a 3 year parts and labour warranty. It makes no sense for me to do it myself.
I do have the advantage of knowing the people at the store and have the knowledge to know what I am buying.
I would check out what warranties you get in your area, in Victoria some companies are offering 3 years parts and life time labour.

Panasonic Plasma|PS3 | Pioneer AV| 5.1 Energy | Express Vu |Shaw My DVD Collection

Last edited by olderguy; 2004-11-14 at 03:53 AM.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 2004-11-14, 05:22 PM

I think that you will find in the fine print that the warranty does not extend the manufactor's warranty. For example, if your hard drive has a warranty of 1 year, you PC builder has 3 years, then your hard drive will not be warrantied for longer that 1 year. PC builder's would have to charge a hefty surchange to bring all the warranties to 3 years.

I believe that PC builder's warranties only cover the "labour" for building the PC and if their assembly actual causes the hardware to fail. And this would be very hard to prove.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 2004-11-14, 10:29 PM

BHoward
I have asked for clarification of the warranty details of the last computer that I had built by the computer company in Victoria DTI. I will keep you posted regarding the information I receive back from them.

Panasonic Plasma|PS3 | Pioneer AV| 5.1 Energy | Express Vu |Shaw My DVD Collection

Last edited by olderguy; 2004-11-14 at 10:33 PM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 2004-11-15, 12:29 AM

I'm sorry, but that's the worst reason NOT to build your own computer. When you buy a pre-made one, you pay for labour and software you don't want/need. Also, you don't know what product you get... there's LOTS of version of 515 megs of ram... if you build it yourself, you know exacly what's in it. BUT there's nothing wrong with buying a pre-made computer if you don't know how to build a computer. I look at it this way, I wouldn't pay someone to connect my home theater system.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 2004-11-15, 03:22 AM

Splash.

Just to clarify my last post: I have had a lot of different computers in the last 15 years. Some from manufacturers like Dell one from Radio Shack and some I have assembled myself. The computer I am using at the moment I assembled the parts myself and I am very pleased with its performance. However I recently was asked to put one together for a friend and this is where I found out when checking out the components that it was not worth while. The warranty was the main reason, unless the fine print is going to come back and haunt me. I agree with you that dealers can use different ram, mother boards and processors. But if you specify the components used in that computer you get what you want and donít have to worry about repairs. These days there is not much labour involved in assembly of a computer, I will bet no more than 3 hours if all the bits and pieces are at hand? The company makes its profit from the mark up on parts, as a rule you pay that mark up anyway if you do the building.
The bottom line is, if you like to do it and feel confident that you are capable then great, but just cost everything out before you make that decision and check that warranty.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 2004-11-15, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

I'm thinking about starting with the Dell Dimension XPS Gen 3 at the link below and "customizing" it to some degree and hoping to keep it below the $4K mark if possible. Anyone have this model?

Dell Dimension XPS Gen 3

Last edited by Khorn; 2004-11-15 at 06:56 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in