Surge protection/power bar suggestions? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2003-12-16, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Surge protection/power bar suggestions?

Anyone recommend a surge protection/power bar for an "upgraded home theatre"--Upper mid-range Denon receiver, top Boston Acoustics speakers, etc.

I have NOT had any problems using $5 power bars, but I'd like to clear out the rat's nest of cables and set things up properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2003-12-16, 03:52 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's something I posted a year ago. The UPS in question is usually around $100 somewhere (although not at Grand & Toy often).

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...pic.php?t=3708

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2003-12-16, 10:00 PM

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2003-12-17, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

From the new issue of Sound & Vision's Buyer's Guide 2004:

"It's best to steer away from battery-based computer-type power supplies with an A/V system as many of these do not put out a nice sine wave at all."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2003-12-18, 09:26 PM

You will find good stuff from...

Panamax
Furman
Richard Greys Power Company
Monster Power

.... just to name a few.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2003-12-22, 02:59 PM

I'm getting one of those Monster bars for Xmas. The one that apparently 'cleans' the electricity.

Just Level 1 cleaning. I hope it ends up being worth it. I'll let ya know if I notice a diff or not.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2003-12-22, 11:36 PM

I've had a Monster Powercenter 2600 for about a year now. It has pretty lights on it.

Made a bit of a difference in my sound, nothing on my little video system though that I noticed.

::
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2003-12-23, 03:25 AM

The APC and Tripp Lite surge suppressors and line conditioners are probably as good as any without the high prices and the hype. If you really want to "clean" the power you need to get into something like a power conditioning transformer. They are quite big, heavy and expensive, not the type of thing you will find in a power bar.

Most power bars use MOV's (Metal Oxide Varistors). They simply short small power spikes to ground. They also fail over time and after large spikes. If you are lucky they will short large power spike to ground and save your equipment. As often as not, they will just go up in flames and burn up your equipment. MOVs are worth about $2 each. Surge suppressors typically contain about 3 MOVs. Do not ask me why some companies charge up to $200 for power bars. Maybe it is for the "insurance". :roll: You might get to collect that or there might be a loophole you forgot about. (Better read the fine print again.) APC and Tripp Lite offer a "lifetime warranty". AR says the power bar (and warranty/insurance) is only good until the first spike. Then you must replace the power bar, at $100-$150 a pop. You can build your own MOV surge suppressor (including flame resistant metal box) for about $10 in parts. There are much better surge suppression devices available. You will not find them in many power bars despite the high prices. If you are lucky they might have a little coil and capacitor inside to filter out some RF. That is another $5 worth of parts. :-?

Monster seems to have gone to great lengths with some of their line conditioners. But wow, US$1300 for a line conditioner?

Tripp Lite is a reputable manufacturer of surge suppression and line conditioning products. They have been in the business for a long time and offer a full line of no-hype products at reasonable prices. Like this TLP810SAT designed for home entertainment systems. The Tripp Lite unit sells for US$30. A similar AR unit sells for about US$100. Cheatyou Shop sells the AR unit for CDN$150. It figures.

Power conditioning for a reasonable price that works: Model #: IS1000, Model #: IS1800HG. Don't drop one of these on your foot. :
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2003-12-23, 07:50 AM
Premium Supporter

Thumbs up to the Monster AV-800 (http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...er.asp?pin=594). It offers good surge protection (1295 Joule rating) and peace of mind for a reasonable price ($80 at F.S.).
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2003-12-23, 01:15 PM

A 1295 Joule rating is not really sufficient protect your equipment. This unit from Tripp Lite costs half as much, has almost 3 times the surge protection, far more features and comes with six times as much insurance. Did I mention that Monster stuff is overpriced? The only reason Cheatyou Shop and Worst Buy sell Monster and AR is because of the high markups. They do not care about anything else. Wake up people. :roll:
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2003-12-23, 01:23 PM
Digital Sage

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2003-12-23, 01:55 PM
Premium Supporter

Quote:
A 1295 Joule rating is not really sufficient protect your equipment.
Tripp Lite doesn't agree with you. The quote below is from their site (http://www.tripplite.com/support/faq/surges.cfm):

Quote:
How can I compare and choose the level of protection I need?

There are many rating systems that measure surge protection:

Joule Ratings - Joule ratings measure a surge suppressor's ability to absorb surges. Joules are a way of measuring energy. In general, 200 joules will give you basic protection, 400 joules provide good protection and anything with over 600 joules can be considered exceptional.
That doesn't make much of an argument for their selling 3,500-joule surge protectors. I think I'll stick with the one I've got.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2003-12-23, 02:59 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
1. Most people in cities have access to pretty good clean power already, so "conditioning" is not usually required.

2. These are "surge supressors" and therefor will handle minor fluctuations in power, perhaps as part of a grid comes up or goes down.

3. These will not stop lightning, which having jumped hundreds of metres or perhaps several kilometers, is not going to be "stopped" by any electronic device. The only way to protect electronics from lightning is to unplug them completely.

4. The "insurance" may be worth it to get one of these things...

5. My main purpose of having it is for use as a UPS. The other items are strictly "bonus".

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2003-12-23, 06:31 PM

Quote:
5. My main purpose of having it is for use as a UPS.
Do not confuse these products with a UPS. That is a completely different product. Surge suppressors and the power conditioners described here will not protect your equipment from power failure, undervoltage or overvoltage conditions.

Some power conditioning transformers will provide limited voltage correction. Higher grade UPSs will also provide power conditioning and voltage correction as well as power loss protection but they can be expensive. Inexpensive UPSs are not suitable for A/V equipment. The power they provide is not suitable and they are typically underrated.

In any event, it is unlikely that damaging power surges will originate from the power supply unless you live in a rural area. It is possible that power fluctuations may set up failure conditions in electronic equipment but that is often due to poor design. It is more likely that a surge will originate from another source, such as lightning, and will be carried to the electrical ground by electronic equipment. That is why it is important to ground all external sources such as television antenna, satellite dish, telephone and CATV wiring. This should be grounded, not just to a power bar, to a cold water pipe or grounding rods.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2003-12-23, 10:42 PM

I actually found the lesser known units to have higher margin for the retailers than the Monster brand.

::

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in