Panasonic TH-XXPZ77 Models? - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 87 (permalink) Old 2008-02-07, 07:00 PM

pz77

Meatburd said:
"I have a PZ77 and sd looks pretty good.I am on Shaw cable."

I have had one since november and yes it looks great in SD as long as you don't stretch it, zoom it. Just leave it in 4x3 mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 87 (permalink) Old 2008-02-07, 07:04 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Just leave it in 4x3 mode.
As long as you don't have 4:3 images up for more than about 20% of the time, otherwise you may end up with burn in.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21270

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #78 of 87 (permalink) Old 2008-02-07, 08:40 PM

try to watch HD most of the time. This is mentions gray bar, I don't use gray bar. And to watch Sd zommed is not that good, stretch looks just that stretched.

Either using my Zoom function from the BEV 9200 or the function of the TV it looks like it is zoomed and under a magnifing glass.

post #79 of 87 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 12:09 PM
Rookie

Advice on Purchasing a new HDTV

Hello All,

I am a newbie and seeking all your expert advise on my new venture. I want to get an HDTV. I have read through all the threads in newbie and burn in and LCD vs. Plasma discussions. Now I am inclined to buy a Plasma and have my eyes on Panasonic TH42PZ77.

I am open to any suggestions - please feel free to ask question. This is a big investment for me and sure could use your advise to guide me through the right path - plasma or LCD or even DLP.

I would like you all to consider the following while posting any suggestions:
• I will be watching this TV in my apartment which has a window but not necessarily always well lit.
• I will be watching mostly SD programs on Rogers cable since I do not have digital cable and cannot have it in my building because of wiring issue ( I am planning to move within 6 months though).
• No game playing at all on this TV.
• I will be watching movies on a regular DVD player - I may buy a BLUray player as soon as the prices go down.
• I do not watch sports. I do watch cable pulse 24 quite often and not sure if long enough to have screen burn in.
• I may watch SD channels on 4:3 screen and concerned about burn in on the side bars.
• In average between myself and my wife it will be 6 hours/ day watching.
Sitting distance would be about 9ft.

Are there any new Plasma models coming out which are not as much prone to burn-ins as today's models? Will it be worth the wait?

Thank you in advance.
post #80 of 87 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 12:21 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
• I do watch cable pulse 24 quite often and not sure if long enough to have screen burn in.
• I may watch SD channels on 4:3 screen and concerned about burn in on the side bars.
• In average between myself and my wife it will be 6 hours/ day watching.
Based on these comments, you may wish to reconsider your choice of plasma, or reconsider your viewing habits. As indicated in the Burn in FAQ, the "proneness" to burn in is unlikely to change and has not really changed at all. What has changed from years ago is that the maximum contrast levels have been lowered and pixel shift has taken care of some of the "gaming" or "small print" burn in concerns. This will not have any effect on viewing like CP24 (hours a day) or black bars on the sides (hours a day).

I'm not saying you can't get a plasma, but if your viewing habits are going to be as reflected in your post, then you may have a burn in issue in a year or so.

Based on your research here, you may have already seen:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741 Newbie info

post #81 of 87 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 01:50 PM

Some advice I can offer
HTML Code:
will be watching movies on a regular DVD player - I may buy a BLUray player as soon as the prices go down.
Maybe you already know this, but the only blu ray player you should consider at the moment is a PS3. Even if you do not play games, you should consider a ps3 because:
1. Most important: it is the only blu ray player that will be blu ray 2.0 compatible down the road.
2. It does an excellent job upconverting dvd's

In regards to 4:3 viewing, I know my lcd has an optin for S-Strech, which zooms in a little, and stretches it a little so that 4:3 viewing actually looks really good (without making short fat people, football heads, etc). IF you want a plasma, get a plasma with an option such as that (i can't comment on any, but look at them yourself when you're in teh store, perhaps the model you are looking at already has that type of option, albeit a different name instead of S-Stretch).

Sharp 46" Aquos 1080p (LC46D62U). Shaw Motorola 6416 III PVR. Pioneer HTP-2800 Surround Sound. PS3 & Wii.
post #82 of 87 (permalink) Old 2008-03-03, 01:52 PM

The Panasonics have a good non-linear stretch (JUST), as mentioned by wuvhandles above. Samsungs do not - they only have a linear stretch. Not sure about LG.

There is no need to stretch on an LCD since there are no burn in concerns - therefore you get no distortion and the image quality doesn't deteriorate if left at 4:3 for SD.

post #83 of 87 (permalink) Old 2008-03-18, 04:24 AM

Screen Flicker

Just got the 42pz77u. Looks good except for one thing. I notice a flicker on the screen about once every half an hour. I happens very quick like a freeze frame or a missing frame. Has anyone else experienced this. I moved this tv where a Sony Lcd was and never had a problem with the Sony.
post #84 of 87 (permalink) Old 2008-04-10, 08:53 PM

I just received a phone call this afternoon from the television repair place that usually takes care of Panasonic repairs in the area. The woman on the other end told me that she had been instructed by Panasonic to set up appointments for their technicians to update the software for the 42PZ77U. In her words, it would literally take two minutes. I later confirmed from Panasonic themselves (via email) that this was indeed the case, and that they were doing this for everyone with the TV.

I'm not sure if this is connected to your problem which I have as well (though I thought at the time that it was due to everything being fed through my Sony receiver and then into the TV), but since this is the only problem I have (and not a big problem at that) I am sure that it is somehow related. Either way, I'll let everyone know how it went after they arrive April 21...
post #85 of 87 (permalink) Old 2008-04-11, 11:33 AM
Leo

I contact Panasonic today, they confirmed the upgrade and are arranging a service call to have it performed.

Leo
post #86 of 87 (permalink) Old 2008-04-11, 03:18 PM

Firmware update

See this thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=81226

Bill
post #87 of 87 (permalink) Old 2008-04-23, 08:09 PM

Had the service tech come to the house to do the firmware update and it literally took two minutes to do. The good news is that the screen flicker that was mentioned earlier in this thread (which I also had) is completely gone. The tech told me the upgrade turned back the voltage just a bit, so that must have been the cause of the flicker...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in