TCL televisions at Costco - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-18, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

TCL televisions at Costco

I was in my local Costco today (London south) and noticed they are selling one model of TCL 4K Roku televisions.

It was the 50 inch model and surprisingly, the price was less than Amazon online.

Delhi SFA 1483, Antennacraft Suburban VHF, CM7778
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-18, 10:36 PM
Veteran

^^^^
It wouldn't be the first time a local price was lower than Amazon. A few months ago, I bought a circulating pump cartridge. I found a cheaper local source that was a 15 minute drive from home, instead of waiting 6-8 days for delivery. The pump was part of my heating system and this was in the middle of some very cold weather, so those 6-8 days would have been 6-8 days with little heat.
Gentleman likes this.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-07-18, 10:45 PM
Veteran

Costco often has some good deals on TVs and other electronics. Amazon is hit and miss on prices. Items that are imported by Amazon itself are usually a good deal. Some big online stores sell through Amazon and can be a good deal. Other items are often sold by third parties and can sometimes be ridiculously expensive. I always compare prices on Amazon.ca to Amazon.com and other sources.
Dr.Dave, Gentleman and Inglewood like this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-12-09, 01:17 PM

How are these TCL TVs? I see lots of TCL 4 series in BestBuy but I heard 6 series are lot better. Any advice please..

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-12-09, 03:05 PM

The 6 series are rated the best TV's for the money. The problem is Costco doesn't carry these newer models.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-12-09, 07:35 PM

I chose a Samsung over the TCL 55R625 for one reason only, the TCL tv's have some issues with Dirty Screen Effect. You see this most often with banding on hockey and football, (also games I've read). Otherwise it had outstanding brightness and color.

Best Buy have both the 55 and 65 inch 6 series at very good prices.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tc...ries-r625-2019

232 transmitters
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-12-13, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Bought a TCL 50S423CA from Costco about 3 months ago.

Pros:
Picture quality is good
Sound quality is good
Inexpensive

Cons:
The remote is horrible. It's too small and not ergonomic.
The channel list cannot be edited.
One cannot just punch in a specific OTA channel.
No S video inputs.
No external controls on the television. All television control must be through the remote.

Would I purchase again? Highly doubtful.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-12-13, 09:34 PM
Veteran

Quote:
No S video inputs.
Almost nothing has S-video these days. I haven't seen a new device that had it for over a decade. It was designed for S-VHS video players which are obsolete and never really caught on. It was also useful for digital SDTV cable and satellite boxes. Depending on the TV and source device, S-video sometimes looks worse than composite which is still on many TVs and video devices.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-12-14, 10:01 AM

The series 4 line of TCL's are meant to compete with RCA/Hisense/Sharp budget models along with Vizio's M/V series, the 6 series are in a completely different level with brightness peaking over 1000cd/m², most of those others peak out at 300-400 which doesn't give a very dynamic visual, especially in 4k HDR10.

One other BIG thing to consider is does the tv have a processor to Upscale an SD/1080p image to 4K, the pricier sets do and it DOES make a big difference, some upscaling engines are better than others, rtings.com offer some great comparisons.

Sharp licensed their TV line to Hisense and have since regretted it and are trying to get it back, poor quality, and poor specs were the reasons.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1SE1HC

As I said before I did a LOT of due diligence when looking for a new tv and my only concern with the TCL brand was hundreds of negative reviews for Dirty Screen Effect, if you watch sports or play games this is the one thing that can really ruin the experience.

@Gentleman , you can buy an SVHS to HDMI converter for less than $30 on amazon. Also, if you're unhappy with the tv remote you can download a free app off Google play that offers a more traditional remote, just use your tablet, laptop or phone and you're good to go.
Gentleman likes this.

232 transmitters
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-12-14, 10:43 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
For remotes, another option would be a Harmony or similar programmable remote that can control all your equipment, as well as switch between devices and turn the appropriate ones on/off with one "activity" button press... The Harmony 650 or similar is usually on sale for around $50 during boxing week.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-12-14, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Almost nothing has S-video these days.
Lucky you if you have the wealth to own newer devices.

I have several legacy external devices that have S video outputs. For example, my home video security camera system has a DVR with S video output only. On my previous Samsung TV that the TCL replaced, I was able to connect my DVR to one of (2) S video inputs to be able to view our outside security cameras which gave my wife peace of mind when I wasn't home. BTW, that Samsung had 2 HDMI, 2 S video and 1 VGA input.

My TCL only has 3 HDMI inputs. No composite, no S video in.

I realize technology changes, however most changes force consumers into expensive and unnecessary upgrades.

Last edited by Gentleman; 2019-12-14 at 11:55 AM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-12-14, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Zank Frappa

Thank you.

I've decided when I get some money ahead, I will donate this television to someone less fortunate and repurchase a Samsung 4K. I was in Costco yesterday and checked out televisions. The Samsung's look quite impressive.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-12-14, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

The other ongoing issue that seems to plague TCL ROKU televisions is persistent audio lag with the video. I've gone all through the suggested fixes, which have helped, but the problem persists and I believe ROKU is well aware of this.

If you search ROKU lip sync, there are plenty of posts on this issue.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-12-14, 12:21 PM

Sidenote: The Harmony 650 is discontinued. The current model is the 665. The only real difference is it can control 10 devices instead of eight. Same price point: I got one on Black Friday for $49 from BB.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2019-12-14, 12:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
My TCL only has 3 HDMI inputs. No composite, no S video in.
Don't know about the TCL TV but a lot of TVs still have component in. One of the component inputs usually doubles as composite. There is very little difference in quality between S-video and composite. S-video to composite cables and adapters were once available and may still be.

Quote:
Sidenote: The Harmony 650 is discontinued. The current model is the 665.
Correct. 650s are still available as old stock but can cost more then the 665, which is almost identical. The 665 is black instead of silver and the buttons seem to have better action, though that may be due to wear on my 650. The 665 was $50 on Amazon and BB for Black Friday and may be on again for Boxing Day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in