Replacing my Sharp TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-24, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Replacing my Sharp TV

Hi, my Sharp LC52D92U finally packed it in after 12-13 years of great service. At the time I paid $4K -$5K for it. My budget for a replacement is way lower now. I'm looking a TV 55"-60" with a great picture and fast response rate. Reliability and longevity are also important. I don't care about the audio quality or "smart" capabilities. 4K seems to be the norm. Also should I go with a 2019 model...are they that much better?
thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-24, 09:03 AM
Veteran

I've seen the LG OLED55C8 for $1800 -$2200 and it's an outstanding TV.

Last edited by dm_4u; 2019-04-24 at 09:26 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-24, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks dm_4u, I was thinking less than $1K....

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-24, 12:11 PM
Veteran

At below $1000 compromises may have to be made regarding picture quality and response rate. OLED will provide the best picture quality but are still relatively expensive. Reliability and longevity are not easily determined ahead of time but sometimes depend on price. (Any manufacturer can make a lemon at any price point.) I would be looking at Vizio's P-series and TCL's 5-series since they typically offer best value and best picture for the money. I see some Sony, Samsung and LG LCD TVs below $1000 but my experience is that they may cut corners with features or quality in their low end models. At that price point, they may not even make the sets themselves but simply rebrand sets from other makers.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-24, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I would be looking at Vizio's P-series and TCL's 5-series since they typically offer best value and best picture for the money.
I think you might have meant the TCL 6 series (55r617), and I would avoid it like the plague due to vertical banding issues aka Dirty Screen Effect. Best buy have this as low as $729. The 5 series is a MAJOR step down in TCL's line and reflected in their cheap price~$600.

I bought my new LED tv about a month and a half ago, it's a Samsung 55nu8000, was $848.00 plus tax, $999 at Costco who wouldn't match Visions price. I chose it over the Vizio P series at Costco primarily because Vizio has had some spotty quality issues.

The picture on my Samsung is fantastic and it upscales extremely well. The Vizio doesn't score near as well on Gray Uniformity, which is important if you watch a lot of hockey or other sports, nor does it upscale as well as the Samsung. Visions Electronics offer a 2 year warranty on the big brands.

There isn't an LG tv with near as good a picture until you are spending around $1300 and a comparable Sony (but a bit better) (XBR55X900F) is about $1400. Sharp are now made by Hisense and I wasn't impressed in comparison.

Here is a website where you can compare tv's, they do NOT accept free tv's from manufacturers and are 100% objective, their results mirrored mine when seeing these tv's in store.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare

P.S. I agree with ExDilbert that OLED have a much brighter and darker picture but if you plan on using this as a PC monitor or for gaming they are prone to burn-in, which LED aren't.

200 transmitters

Last edited by Zank Frappa; 2019-04-24 at 03:13 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-25, 11:49 AM
Veteran

I agree that the Samsung 55nu8000 is a better TV for gaming and sports since it has a faster panel. The price is much better than I thought it would be. I have a Vizio TV and it has some banding. However, I rarely notice it in normal use and really enjoy watching it. The price was much lower than a lot of comparable TVs. It's much better than the similarly priced Samsung we have in features and picture quality. It's also miles ahead of a similarly priced Samsung that I purchased and returned because it was so bad. That put me off Samsung though I'm willing to admit that some models are better, especially at a higher price point.

I meant the TCL's 5-series but it's probably a bit too low end for this situation.

Brand name loyalty is a bad idea, especially for TVs, and each product and model must be evaluated separately. Even models may change in quality between markets or within a model year if a major part such as the panel are sourced from different suppliers. The decline of Sharp in the TV market is a perfect example.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-25, 12:58 PM

The TCL 6 series model I referenced is the best they make but if you read up the banding issues are huge and that makes hockey and other sports and games unwatchable.

Samsung make all their own panels as do LG, Sony buys Samsung panels and they have good tv's but price wise they are out of line model for model in comparison to Samsung. From what I've read Sharp/Foxconn wants to get out of their deal with Hisense as the brand has taken a huge hit. I looked at Hisense's top model 55h9e+ and it looked terrible, colours didn't pop, very dim. It was priced at $999 but you could get a refurb for $549 at factory direct, even at that price it wasn't attractive.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/12/...isense-us-tvs/

Foxconn managed to con Wisconsin Republicans into giving it $4 billion for a facility there that promised 13,000 jobs of which there are less than 200 working there now, they were going to build 70"+ 8K AI 5G tv's but the market isn't biting so it looks like the deal is a bust with taxpayers out $300 million so far.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/10/1...gy-hub-no-news

The picture quality of my tv is light years improved from an 8 year old Panasonic plasma, HRD10+ is a massive improvement in brilliance and the wide colour gamut really makes things pop.

200 transmitters
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-25, 01:36 PM
Veteran

The Samsung 55nu8000 sounds like a good recommendation for under $1000.

HRD10+ is an improvement and makes shopping for a good TV a lot easier. It's not a perfect spec though. I read that it specifies contrast, not brightness, so it doesn't guarantee a bright display. I wouldn't be surprised if some TV makers made false claims for HRD10+ compliance.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-25, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Sold, the Samsung 55nu8000 it is. I couldn't find it for much under $1K but I get free delivery, 90 day return no questions asked and an extra year warranty at Costco. The real 120HZ refresh rate and brand name reputation plus all the good reviews were the big factors.
Thanks for all the advice.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-04-25, 05:23 PM

You wont be disappointed!

200 transmitters
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-05-05, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

After I placed the order for the Samsung TV I was in the Costco store and saw they had a 58" NU7100 on sale for $680 so I bought that instead. I'm happy with the TV and the price is more in line with my budget. I bought a different base as the TV's remote sensor is in the middle of the bottom and is blocked by the centre channel speaker....more height. I set it up using rtings.com..a great site...

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...u7100/settings
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2019-05-05, 01:47 PM
Veteran

My Sharp Aquos LC-42D65U died the other day after a bit over 10 years. I replaced it with a Sharp Roku LC-43LB601C. The old set cost me about $900 10 years ago and the new one $349. I bought Sharp again, because I was quite happy with the old one. However, I have noticed one problem with the new set. It apparently won't accept 63 character WiFi passwords. I'll have to give Sharp a call tomorrow about that.

The new set, with a slightly larger screen, is smaller and lighter than the old one.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in