Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

8K Vs 4K Vs HD

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  As Is 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I can't remember where i read it but an exec with one of the panel builders at this years CES said he thinks 8k tv's are a no go for the mass consumer market being that peoples visual acuity can't notice any difference until screen sizes are 70" plus.

Foxconn's con in Wisconsin bilked taxpayers for $4.5 billion ($219,000 per promised job)to produce these sets and has since rethought the idea.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/11/...-8k-samsung-lg-oled-rollable-micro-led-trends

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...in-s-disastrous-4-5-billion-deal-with-foxconn

8k tv's will be adopted for commercial applications as displays etc but I don't see any mass adoption by consumers in the near future until a plethora of content is available, which as of now there is NONE.

#4 ·
... peoples visual acuity can't notice any difference until screen sizes are 70" plus.
That depends on the viewer's vision and distance from the screen. 70" and larger screens are becoming more affordable so they will create a market for 8K. Even though 8K material may not be available, picture processing can noticeably reduce artifacts with lower resolution content and larger screens. 8K TVs have more powerful video processors than 4K which can produce a better picture. With any size TV, higher resolution screens will typically produce a better picture due to overall advances in panel technology. I'm not saying to go out and pay big bucks for 8K but if prices are reasonably close, the higher resolution could be a better buy. The same goes for 4K vs HD where prices are often very close.

#5 ·
it would be nice if instead of a link to a video, there was a actual article i could read. I can not watch videos while i am at work, and prefer to read actual articles instead so i can take my time and they do not disrupt my productivity.

#7 ·
I'm ready for 16K myself. Too bad film only has a resolution of about 6-7K, so even converting that over won't produce things for 8K, let alone 16K.

Raw 4K footage files average about 6000 GB for 90 minutes, 24000 GB for 8K, and 96000 GB for 16K! 96TB!

And what about 22.2 surround sound, who's ready for that?

#9 ·
An 8k tv without wide color gamut and lacking high dynamic range will have a subpar appearance to a 4K tv with these features. I did a LOT of shopping around this spring before I bought and was first enticed by those cheap 4k tv sets but after viewing HDR10+ content on a wide colour gamut TV saw how much better it was to spend more. There is tons of HDR content on Netflix and Amazon.

It's not just about pixels, although many people get oversold on that. The industry doesn't help matters by advertising TV's as "Ultra HD" when they have none of the ability to produce over a billion colours and achieve brightness figures approaching 1000 nits with smoother motion handling, these are the things that really give the viewer the benefits of higher definition.

This website gives unbiased ratings on current tv's, you'll notice that all OLED outperform LED's but come with one large caveat, they can suffer burn in, a big issue if you use your tv as a pc monitor as I do.

https://www.rtings.com/tv

My Panasonic Plasma TV (1080p) looks terrible in comparison to my new Samsung 4K.

#10 ·
I purchased my 4K TV shortly after HDR was announced. I don't remember any HDR sets being readily available and prices would have been several times what I paid. HDR10+ was announced a year later. It just shows how fast the TV and video markets are moving these days. Modern sets are designed to last 5 to 10 years but are considered obsolete in three. I guess that's OK if you don't mind spending a few thousand dollars on a new set every 2 or 3 years.

I sold a couple of florescent backlit LCD sets not long ago. They were over 10 years old and still worked as well as the day I purchased them. They were small screen TVs by today's standards, built like tanks and weighed about 50 pounds. Compared side by side to newer sets they wouldn't look that good. They did have very good audio compared to most new sets.

#11 ·
An unrelated but similar story. When 3D Televisions came to the market, a close friend of mine dropped the ball and spent a lot of money to be an early adopter. He wanted to be the first to get a 3D TV in our circle of friends, He spent literally thousands of dollars for a 3D TV set, which I think there was like 2 different incompatible standards when it first came out, then he spent money on the 3D Blue Ray player, then he had to drop some more $$ to buy new 3D versions of the movies he already had, then he had to buy extra set of the 3D glasses incase his friends came over, etc. He had to buy a new Stereo Sound system cus his existing one would not work with the 3D equipment, All in All, he spent approx close to 10 grand, He was still living with his parents at the time so I guess it was okay? or maybe not? He had to get rid of all his equipment when 3D bombed and was a failure and replace it all with 4K TV, 4K blue ray player, 4K discs, etc. Somebody please dont tell him that 8K or 16K is coming out, he will have a heart attack or maybe declare bankruptcy

#12 ·
I've seen 3D movies and 3D TV hyped and bomb at least 3 times. Wouldn't touch one of those with a 10 foot remote. Hollywood usually makes a few blockbuster movies to help the hype and then abandons it for some real advances in movie making. There was one 3D revival where 3D glasses were sold at convenience stores and TV stations aired some campy 3D movies. Fortunately, people were only out a couple of dollars with that one.

#13 ·
I always thought 3d was a gimmick and wasn't convinced it would be adopted in any large way given Hollywood only toyed with it and never produced much content since the 60's. The reason I bought a new tv was hdr10+ and WCG under $1000 for a bigger display, I'm around 6' from a 55" display and the difference from this and my plasma is like going from CRT to Plasma, 7-8 years from now I'll probably buy an 8K for about the same money and end up kicking myself because holographic tv's were just around the bend.

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-r...technology---researchandmarketscom-2018-09-04

#14 ·
Chances are that plasma display is dimmer than it was new. 3D may take hold when a true 3D TV is developed. That is, a TV that does not require any accessories like glasses. It can be done but the technology is not yet available. It may be marketed as holographic to avoid the stigma (or is that stink) of previous 3D efforts. In any event, I'll wait to see it become mainstream before adopting.

#15 ·
I sit about 9 feet away from my TV so 4k is an unnecessary gimmick for me. I'd love to watch some HDR content but nobody is producing high end 1080p TV's with support for HDR in Canada.

Sony produces 1080p TV's where they claim to support HDR. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was just accepting HDR content and outputting it without HDR. Although this model below which is not sold in Canada apparently supports HDR10.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/we750-we752-we753-we754-we755-series

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
8K TVs

Good morning friends

I have noticed that new 8K televisions have started showing up in stores now. I read few years ago that 4K TV was just interim and the ultimate TV resolution would be 8K. I know 8K was available for long time in Japan. I think it will be a good idea to wait for another year or so to buy 8K TV so the prices go down and some 8k content also becomes available.

#18 ·
There are a number of 8k videos on Youtube. The picture is spectacular in my opinion. I think you need to use the youtube app on the tv, as the Telus box is only 4k and the picture doesn't seem to look as good when I use it to look at 8K on Youtube. The videos running in most of the stores are from Youtube. I did find that the tv didn't look as good until it had been run in for a while ie the colours looked better after about 100 hours.

#19 ·
Speaking of youtube 3d 4 and 8k I have some comments.

I like 3d therefore I will keep my plasma 3d as long as I can - but would likely buy an oled if it was 3d but it isn't.

I've discovered that people have been uploading 3d videos to youtube as VR. Search youtube for side by side 3d and dozens will show up.

I can download them for my library or watch them on the youtube app on my t.v. or the app on my fire tv cube.

I also bought a VR headset from visions for $5 (reg $50) but they send me an Elite one instead.
I can play youtube 3d on it as well as from my network using VLC.

Sale ends tomorrow if you want a cheap VR headset to try.

https://www.visions.ca/product-deta...uetooth_controller?categoryId=0&sku=PKG002439

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.