Recommendations for Replacing 32" Samsung? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-08-09, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Recommendations for Replacing 32" Samsung?

Our 32" Samsung LCD has quit after 5 years, and we want a replacement.

Where can I do research on what brands or models are reliable?

I'll be heading over to Consumer Reports shortly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-08-10, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

After doing research, here's my bottom line.

LCD TV's are a mass-market, low-margin commodity, with little to choose from when it comes to reliability. CR surveyed owners of around 180,000 HDTV sets, and tabulated the frequency of repair records. Their table of results contains a disclaimer to the effect that plus-or-minus 3 "units" of difference in repair rate between brands is immaterial, and not significant.

Given that, essentially all brands fall within that plus-or-minus 3 range.

Further research has shown me that many "brands" are in fact just a label that was sold long-ago by the former owner to an obscure manufacturer. Cynically, my take is that lots of "brands" are assembled in the same few factories, probably from components supplied by even fewer manufacturers.

The choice, then, comes down to availability, features and price. And don't expect much of a warranty, or much service life.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-08-10, 11:27 AM
Veteran

Most important things I've found are panel type and back lighting. Some sets don't have back lighting but tend to be very high priced. Research currently available panel types and find the best for your needs. Then find models that have the desired panel. Back lighting is typically LED but placement and number plays a role. Avoid edge lit LCDs. After that it's all about features but they are by far the least important and most overblown aspect of TV marketing. Newer features often add little but marketing confusion and extra cost. My TV choice usually consists of a basic set with minimal required features, best best panel type and best back lighting type/placement for the price.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-08-10, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Agreed.

We chose an IPS panel with full-array LED backlighting. I don't think it has local dimming, but this does not affect picture quality.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-08-12, 12:06 AM
pvj

I've had both Samsung and LG 32" and haven't yet had one fail.But they are unfortunately a throwaway item in today's society.
For a decent price you can pick up a set at Costco if you have a membership with a standard 2 year warranty and get a 5 year warranty for an extra $30.Pretty cheap protection for 5 years .
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-08-13, 10:21 AM

Not sure that a poor television set really exists anymore as they are all essentially made by so few companies using various brand names. The other factor is personal choice.....no two people see the same picture when having a look at the set. We recently purchased a 32 inch Changhong set with all the bells and whistles for less than $200 from Newegg on-line. So far it has worked perfectly. By the way Changhong is the second largest manufacturer of television sets in China. Despite economic problems we just have no concept of the size and extent of the Chinese domestic market
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2015-08-14, 06:51 PM

I agree with pvj about Costco. I bought a cheap Haier unit there last year and bought an extended warranty for the first time in my life. I usually stay away because most extended warranties are scams. Bestbuy has a 3 year extended warranty for $100 on a $350 TV. They must think people are crazy or stupid. But $30 for 5 years on an item that has a MTBF of 5-10 years was worth it for me.

Aside from the panel and backlight, pay very close attention to the inputs/outputs. Lots of smallish LCDs have very limited inputs and outputs. Many have only 2 HDMI ports. Some don't have a dedicated audio in to go with the VGA port. Some have no audio out at all. Component and composite almost always share inputs. So make a list of all your devices and make sure that the set you choose has everything you need, plus an extra HDMI (or 2) for future proofing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in