LED TV's and "Soap Opera Effect" - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-04-13, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

LED TV's and "Soap Opera Effect"

I did search the forums here for more details on my question, but there wasn't enough information to fully answer my questions.

I purchased a Samsung 55D6500 LED TV last week. I have taken it off of torch mode, but haven't done any calibration on it yet.I find the PQ of TV channels to be excellent. What my wife and I can't seem to get past is the "Soap Opera Effect" when watching movies. I know why this is occurring, the 24FPS for movies vs 60FPS for TV. I can't seem to find a way to minimize this issue.

I did some research and did find some suggestions to this.
1. Turn Game Mode on - I did this, but it only improved the PQ somewhat.
2. Turn off Auto Motion settings - this did not improve it at all.

I did my first test with Ironman 2 from Netflix. The S.O.E was extremely bad in this movie. The scene of him jumping out of the plane, near the start of the movie, was terrible.

I hooked up my PS3 and tried one of the Harry Potter blurays. Turning on the Game Mode settings, did improve the S.O.E. quite a bit, but it was still noticeable.

Has anyone here with LCD/LED TV's been able to get rid of this annoying problem? If I can't get this fixed by Saturday, I will probably exchange it for a plasma. However; I would prefer not to have to deal with the hassle of taking down my TV from the wall mount and packaging it back up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-04-13, 09:42 AM

The "Auto Motion Plus" setting controls frame interpolation (soap opera effect). You say you've turned it off already, but it's input dependent - it has to be switched off individually on each input.

If you haven't already done so, switch it, and all the other picture "enhancements" off and change the picture to mode to "Movie". You should see a significant improvement and a much more natural looking picture.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-04-13, 09:49 AM
Member #1

If Auto Motion (which I presume is the frame rate multiplying circuitry) is turned off and you still have the effect then I would return it because PQ won't be getting any better.

Game Mode improves response rate but diminishes quality so I really wouldn't recommend turning it on during movies.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-04-13, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
The "Auto Motion Plus" setting controls frame interpolation (soap opera effect). You say you've turned it off already, but it's input dependent - it has to be switched off individually on each input.
This is probably why the PQ of Netflix didn't improve when switching off Auto Motion. No way to turn this off for Netflix as it is an app from within the TV. Maybe I will try hooking my ATV2 and see if turning of Auto Motion for that input helps for Netflix.

Quote:
Game Mode improves response rate but diminishes quality so I really wouldn't recommend turning it on during movies.
I noticed the PQ was diminished quite a bit using this mode.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will play around a little more tonight. Still curious if any LCD/LED owners have been able to git rid of this issue?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-04-13, 10:00 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Here's the FAQ on TV optimization:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

Even if Netflix is an "app" you should be able to modify the picture mode that the TV is on?

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-04-13, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I'll check the Netflix app tonight. I was able to go into the Tools menu of the TV, which allowed me to change it to 3 or 4 different settings, like Standard, Natural, Movie, etc.. It wouldn't allow me to go into the advance settings though.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-04-13, 01:07 PM
Veteran

According to the manual, there appears to be settings for both LED Motion Plus as well as Auto Motion Plus. Is that correct, or just a typo? Turn both off, as well as Film Mode. If that still doesn't help, I can't think of anything else that would help. Any 120Hz TV that I've come across that has the S.O.E. has been cured of its ailment through adjusting those settings.

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-04-13, 03:45 PM
Veteran

I don't know about this particular TV, but I played with a Samsung Blu-ray player last year, and most of the picture settings were not accessible if you played Netflix or another "app". For example, I couldn't set the aspect ratio of 4:3 movie that was always stretched. Pretty much any "smart TV" app behaved like this - wasn't complying with the settings for any input - so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did the same corner cutting with newer and more expensive TV sets.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-04-13, 11:56 PM

Location: Alberta, Yamaha RX-V1700, LG 60" Plasma, BD-F7500, Post Audio & Energy spkrs, Paradigm PDR-12 Sub
Sell it and by a Plasma! Your problems will be solved.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-04-14, 01:37 AM

Even plasma has these issues. Some of the Panny's I've seen have terrible flicker with it's 48hz frame interpolation or the soap opera effect with it's 96hz interpolation if you use these. Best thing to do is turn all that crap off and put it in movie or cinema mode for a simple solution, or get someone to calibrate your set for you.

tech junkie, but recently it's been junkie tech
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-04-15, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

So I ended up exchanging my LED TV for a Samsung 59" Plasma 6500 series. I absolutely love this TV. PQ is excellent and we can no longer notice the Soap Opera Effect. I should have gone with my initial gut feeling and went straight to a plasma instead of the LED. This TV is in our main living room and I have yet to notice any reflection on the TV. Thank you to everyone that helped with my issue.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-04-16, 11:25 AM

Nice set, but make sure to get it off vivid or standard and onto movie or cinema as even still, plasma will have image retention in these high contrast modes. And vary your viewing if you watch lots of letter box movies, play video games with static images or watch stuff with tickers or scores as these can cause image retention as well.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-04-16, 11:50 AM

My Panasonic plasma is seven years old and I haven't seen any image retention yet. My viewing is 90% sports (score bars and tickers) and movies (blackbars). The tv is always in cinema mode.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-04-16, 11:59 AM

Cinema mode being the exact reason why you haven't, and being a Panasonic who make great plasmas. I wish my friends would take this advice as I always hear them complain about IR on the plasma they just bought, then after I ask them if they have done any kind of picture set up, the answer is always no, "I like the way the picture is..." Barf!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2012-04-16, 04:12 PM

Most people purchasing a new tv complain that cinema or movie mode is too dim and the colours aren't strong enough, but if you watch exclusively in cinema mode for two weeks, the majority would prefer the cinema picture and not go back to vivid or standard. The torch mode you see at most retailers is very offensive to my eyes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in