Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Quick and dirty setup to play AVI and MKV files from PC to TV

9K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Jethro 
#1 ·
Current setup:
My main personal download and gaming PC has all the TV shows and movies in AVI or some MKV formats. Some are starting to be in H.264 lately. I copy the files to a memory stick and plug them into the Samsung TV. The TV is basically the media player and works quite well. Shows full file name, plays back cleanly and best of all bookmarks each file where I stopped watching and lets me go back instantly. This is a big plus.

Proposed setup:
Eliminate the "SneakerNet" of USB keys between PC and TV with a media player that works as good as or better than the media player built into the TV. Basically something that will pull files from shared folders off of my Win7 PC and play them on the TV through HDMI. While remembering where I stopped watching in each file.

I had thought of Boxee but just read that stopped support of their desktop app?
Thought of getting an old Xbox to server media but was told it can't do MKV and HD movies have to be converted to WMV format. Blah!
Is a homemade HTPC the only way to get what I want?

Thx
J

See less See more
#3 ·
Nextpvr is free and will do what want plus so much more.
Add a TV tuner and you'll all the features of a DVR.
I could list it features but that's what their website is for.

"While remembering where I stopped watching in each file."
YES

Watch recorded TV shows without commercials
YES

(mpeg|mpg|m2v|avi|mp4|mov|m2ts|wmv|iso|rm|dvr-ms|ts|mkv|vob|divx|flv|m4v|wtv|mp3|ogg|m3u|wma|aac|wav|m4a|fla|flac)

If you are familiar with EPG setup can be less than 30 mins.(In the case of multiple tuners the results of the first scan[10min] can be applied to the others)

#4 ·
Sorry not quite what I was looking for. I have the files already. I don't need\want to stream online shows or record them.
I already have Bell PVR but for some shows I can't get I download and watch them on the TV. Looking for a cleaning way then memory sticks.

#5 · (Edited)
Then use only the video, music library and DVD features of Nextpvr

BTW: Are you paying a monthly fee for your PVR and how many hours can it hold?

@$14/mth that's over $170/yr before taxes that is more than the cost of a dual tuner with remote AFTER taxes and the only limit to hours of stored recordings is your hard drive(s) size.
You'd still require the standard Set Top Box though

#6 ·
I'd go with Patriot Box Office or Pivos aios. WDTV is a good box if you do use their internet applications. As a media player, the first 2 I mentioned are better IMHO.

#8 ·
Thanks for a heads up on alternatives. I have been searching and hadn't come up with anything besides the WD TV Live. That being said the Patriot and Pivos are very hard to find retailers for in Canada when using Shopbot.ca. Very limited availability.

#7 ·
Then use only the video, music library and DVD features of Nextpvr

BTW: Are you paying a monthly fee for your PVR and how many hours can it hold?

@$14/mth that's over $170/yr before taxes that is more than the cost of a dual tuner with remote AFTER taxes and the only limit to hours of stored recordings is your hard drive(s) size.
You'd still require the standard Set Top Box though
Can you get a dual tuner for BELL EXPRESSVU to work in your PC?

#9 ·
I guess the other alternative is to get the Apple TV 2, and then jailbreak it. Once you get XBMC installed, it will do everything you need it to do. The ATV3 will probably be coming out in the next few weeks, but I don't think you would be able to jailbreak it right away.

#10 ·
Does your Samsung TV support DLNA or do you have an Blu-ray player that supports DLNA? If so, you could use a DLNA server like Serviio to stream content without any extra cost.

I've tried a few videos with my Samsung TV and it seems to work OK, but I haven't used it enough to say it does everything you need.

#11 · (Edited)
Continue your search for a way to spend money on another piece of hardware to add clutter, heat and power consumption but in the meantime download NextPVR[FREE] and install it(10 mins). On your PC watch a vid, stop it,open another, stop it it and go back to the first one and pick up where you left off. If you're satisfied look at the back of the PC and consider your options to port video and sound to your TV. I don't think the HDMI cable will port sound to the TV. I use a 7pin S-video and a 5.1 speaker setup (my tv is only 720p).

If you do like NPVR it can support lovely metadata to make browsing for a video or music more blingy

@jshel101 NPVR can be used without a tuner and it's pvr functions to access media anywhere on the LAN and remembers the point that you stopped the vid before it finished which meets the criteria of the OP.

#12 ·
OTAJuncui - I think the OP has mentioned before that he wasn't interested in NextPVR. OP wants a media player to pull media from a shared network drive, I don't think he mentioned anything about PVR functionality.

spend money on another piece of hardware to add clutter, heat and power consumption
The media streamers I use (ATV2 and WD Live) don't cause any heat or clutter, and doesn't use very much power. They are so small you can hide them anywhere. And they are quite cheap. Not sure what you are referring too.

Sorry, I went off-topic a little

#13 ·
True dat. I am just looking for something to pull movies from PC and play on Samsung LCD TV. Currently using USB sticks because I really do like the media playing capabilities of the TV. Best media player I currently have versus my 2 DVD players with USB support and the Wii.
I am trying to decide between WD TV Live, Patriot Box Office or Asus O!Play.

All these units talk about streaming video form Internet, movies on demand, Netflix, blah blah blah. I just want to pull video from my PC reliably WITH the ability to resume from where I left off if I stop a movie\show.
That's the best feature on my TV is that if I stop a show that's on the memory stick. I can shut the TV off, remove the stick, add\remove files and plug it back in and it will still remember where I left off on any show I had started to play and with on button resume where I left off.
Priceless in my eyes and I'm worried that another box won't have those features.

#14 ·
The WD TV Live Streaming Media Player is a turn key solution. Just look at the list of supported containers and codecs supported. H.264 is quite common now and the WD TV players handle them without any problems. It also resumes from a network share or attached storage.

You did not mention your TV model but I set up a friends Samsung edge lit LED LCD to stream from her laptop. I can't recall the name of the app but if your TV has an Ethernet jack you are all set. No extra purchase necessary except an Ethernet cable. If your computer is not near your TV you can get a wifi stick that works with Samsung TVs. Less expensive than all the other choices listed in this thread so far.

#15 ·
Thanks Jake. Still sorting though thousands of posts on this. :)
I have a slightly older Samsung which has no Ethernet port because back then I had the DVD players with USB ports which was good enough.
"I ain't going to be watching no Internets on my TV!!!!".
Then the USB in the TV worked very well.

Well some years go by and now the USB SneakerNet is no longer good enough.
Ah yes... progress.

#16 ·
There are a number of options. Some Blu-ray players are capable of playing networked video files. A simple media player can play files from a network. (There are lots and some have been mentioned.) The Pivos Aios is one of the better media players but the software is quite basic. It is a good choice for video file playback. Media players with more sophisticated software are also an option. They include the Boxee and Apple TV players. As with everything, research every option to make sure it meets your requirements.

#17 ·
I used to by a heavy duty HTPCer...I still am fairly updated but I don't really use them much anymore honestly after using media players.

Out of the few media players, the Patriot Box Office with 3rd part firmware called mede8er is absolutely the best for everyday use. Older WDTV Live with the mickey mouse remote is actually a joke when compared. I haven't played with the latest versions with a real remote so basic playback functions may indeed be much better. WDTV Live is still a very good choice for one who does online content a bit. The interface is basic but nice and polished.

What the OP wants is exactly what I am talking about. Pause, rewind/replay, skip, time-dial, resume, navigate you shared folders, etc, etc.

The problem with the Box Office is it is end of life with slightly outdated hardware for the latest heavy duty stuff.

The Aios is the one to get with fairly contemporary hardware save no 3D. The interface is not as good as mede8er but the basic functions are there. It can also swallow in a 3.5" HDD if you need to use it on the go but the unit is actually fairly big. Very hard to beat for under $80.

#19 · (Edited)
Ok... Time to **** or get off the pot.
All 3 of these devices are at my closest retailer and all on sale.

PIVOS AIOS HD Media Center - Full HD 1080p, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, Card Reader, 3.5" SATA HotPlug Drive Bay, Blu-ray ISO, UPnP, DLNA, SMB, Dolby TrueHD 7.1
Part no: PTGMCART35-US
*after $20.00 mail-in-rebate
$79.99

WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, Wi-Fi, Full-HD 1080p, DLNA (WDBHG70000NBK-VESN)
Part no: WDBHG70000NBK-VESN
after $10.00 instant rebate
$99.99

ASUS O!Play LIVE, Compact HD Media Player - Full 1080p HD, TrueHD 7.1 Surround Sound, RightTxT Subtitle Detection, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, 4-in-1 Card Reader, USB 2.0, HDMI, 10W
Part no: OPLAY_LIVE/1A/AS
*after $30.00 mail-in-rebate
$89.99

Patriot Box Office Media Player - Full HD 1080p, MKV, RMVB, Dolby Digital and DTS, 2.5" SATA Enclosure, Supports USB Storage Devices, Network Streaming, UPnP, File Transfer, P2P Download Management (PCMPBO25)
Part no: PCMPBO25
$84.99

What's it going to be boys and girls?
Which on plays the most formats from a wired Gigabit networked Windows 7 PC to a LCD TV through HDMI?

Operators are standing by!

#25 ·
Out of this list, it's either aios or WDTV Live Streaming.

The online apps on the WDTV is actually quite good save no HD youtube using the stock firmware anyways. I personally find the online navigation on the aios less polished and will not consider it for heavy online usage...even though it does youtube HD.

Other considerations, if you RMVB, then must get aios; likewise if you DVR-MS, then must get WDTV Live. It depends on what you have. Either product licks mkvs pretty well these days. I am not sure if WDTV does DTS-HD now or not.

#20 ·
I just took a gander at the Pivos. It certainly has some nice connectivity options.

Pros
No proprietary cables.
An HTML 5 web browser.
coax and optical digital audio
USB3

If that browser can playback YouTube HD music videos I would be all over it.

The real question is not what formats can it play (the 3 devices you listed are pretty complete in that regard) but how stable is it?

#26 ·
WD TV Live in da house!

Well I finally went and got a WD TV Live unit. It was actually the slightly more expensive option as it was only $10 off versus others with $20-$30 mail in rebates.
Initially had some issues with sound which turned out to be TV and operator related. :)
Been working well and does what I want which was play AVI's MKV's and MP4's from my Win7 PC to the TV.
Seems even able to play 720p MKV's through the wireless with out issues. Though I think I will still run a wire eventually.
Firmware updated as soon as I turned it on as well. Downloaded, installed and rebooted all without issue.
Connecting to Network shares is a bit clunky if you want to change the "server". As I was playing movies from my sons PC then mine you have to reselect all the way from the beginning each time as to what Network, Windows Shares, PC, login, folder, file.
And the best feature I wanted was the ability to resume or restart videos previously being viewed.
But of course now wondering whether I should have gotten on with a proper browser just in case I change. Nah... I'll just upgrade then. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.