Review: Direct Buy - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 4 10.53%
Somewhat Satisfied 4 10.53%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 3 7.89%
Extremely Dissatisfied 27 71.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-04-16, 11:03 PM
Veteran

Have heard all the horror stories about the high pressure sales tactics. However, I was able to use a friends membership to save $700 on a nursery set. This was savings over and above buying from the manufacturer direct.

I think there is money to be saved if you are willing to spend money, i.e. moving into a new house or refurnishing. If you are looking for deals on electronics than it probably isn't for you as there are usually little margins in gadgets and computers.

In my mind, if you could somehow split the membership cost with a family member it would certainly be worth it.

Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-04-29, 06:55 PM

I'm a member , have been since 2003 and I concur for certain item no you will not save money for others the savings are great, I replace window in my house last year the rebate through direct buy was 65% off of retail which was a saving of $7500, re did my kitchen the year before, the retail on the Kitchen Craft cupboard was $9900, I spent $4600 including shipping and GST, looking at those 2 purchases $5000 to save nearly $13000 sounds not too bad, I should say that when I joined the price was $2500 again this is not on everything, I also puchase a Bosch diswasher from Sears on sale and paid $50 less than the Direct buy price. If you are doing a major reno go for it you will save.

Elite pro141FD,emo umc-1,emo MPS-2,Elite BDP23 bd,Motorola3400,ML script I,ML matine,4ML vignettes, 2optimum8,mx900
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-08-14, 06:11 PM
Rookie

Just joined Direct Buy and have saved money so far

Hello,

You save money if you are already spending on a renovation. If you are just a regular consumer that is not spending on big items you don't save as much - at least not immediately. If you go to the open house, have some real prices in your mind before you go so you can compare.

I joined last week and so far my savings are: $7283.28 (CDN dollars throughout)

I am doing a renovation and joined Direct Buy after pricing kitchen cabinets at big box store ( wood doors, fibreboard boxes, no counter top, cupboard enhancements like slide out shelves, slow close drawers (which had caved in on the store model) - $15,000 + tax) and at a cabinet company (thermofoil doors (not wood), fibreboard boxes, slow close drawers, cupboard enhancements like slide out shelves, no counter top $11,000 + tax plus they quoted $2249 for granite countertop.).

My Direct Buy kitchen is brandname plywood boxes, slow close drawers, cupboard enhancements like slide out shelves, wood doors, $8130. This Direct Buy price includes shipping to my home, installation, 8% handling fee, kitchen design fess well as installation is included. Also, for any problems or warranty issues I will deal with my local Direct Buy - not the manufacturer. So, for a better cabinets I have already saved $7000 if you compare bog box store'ss "some wood" to Direct Buy's "All wood" - not including the $11000 quote in savings because it's not even part wood.

When I went to the open house they weren't that hard sell but I know they can be . I went back the next day and confirmed the kitchen savings then signed up for $4790 plus tax.

I got two quotes on granite counter tops and the local direct buy supplier price came in at $413.28 savings with a better product (2 cm caesarstone with 4 cm beveled edge) and backsplash included whereas the other prices were for granite - 2 cm straight edge - no bevel (not as strong and more maintenance needed) with no backplash...

So far my savings are: $7413.28 - fee has been covered!

SAVINGS SO FAR
Kitchen cabinets - $7283.28 (more than enough to cover the membership fee)
Granite counter top - $413.28

Still to come:
Refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, beds, furniture. sinks, vanities, toilets

I'll keep posting my experience, good or bad, as I go along.

MG

Last edited by mgamiet; 2010-08-14 at 06:58 PM. Reason: crunched the numbers again.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-08-14, 06:53 PM
Veteran

Good luck if you receive the wrong cabinets or they got damaged in shipping. DB will not help you.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-08-14, 09:31 PM

Hmm, interesting. I ordered kitchen cupboards a couple of weeks ago. Good sized kitchen with a G layout plus a 5 foot pantry area. Thermofoil with slow close drawers, no countertops, was $5,600 from a big box store, and I took $1,500 off of that by going to a certain swedish store. The big box store has 15% off pretty well every month, and I was in for that.

$11,000 for what was posted shows that perhaps some better shopping was in order.

I'm happy if DB works out for you. The comparision looks off. Something like kitchen cabinets though, there are tons of suppliers and variables though. I would like to see some saving on items I can find cleanly on a maker's website or in a store. ie. Cleancut apples to apples, oranges to oranges.

Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Harmony 670, Rogers HD 8300, 3250HD, Denon AVR-591, Chartwell SL3-5A, Venturer SHD-7000, Samsung 1600 BR.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 2010-09-08, 08:50 PM
Rookie

Get a phone call from Directbuy and they try to arrange me to attend the free open house. They offer 50,000 prize for $ 50k home makeover if I win. I almost get in until I ask a simple question. "Do I need to pay for the membership? If I do, how much?". They said right away that they will let me know in the open house. But when I ask why don't they spent half a minute to tell me how much so that it will not waste their time and my time (90 minutes). They are quite angry when I said that and they said if I don't come, they will never let me join again. So I said "goodbye". I am so happy to visit this site before attend the open house.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-06-01, 09:50 PM

Member since about 2000 (when it was about $2500 to join I believe). Easily saved much more than the membership fee by buying a good quality bedroom and dining room set, and a few other furniture pieces over the years. The solid-wood dining set we bought was about $8000 retail but we saw it somewhere on clearance for less. We still saved over $2000 through DirectBuy over the clearance price, and that was including all the fees (shipping, etc)!

My advice: DirectBuy is only good for you if you are planning to buy lots of high-quality furniture (i.e. Solid wood, not most big-box stuff) or if you buy lots of building materials (cabinets, flooring, etc).

You will never save any significant money on electronics at DirectBuy because the markup on electronics is generally tiny so their price is not much better than retail.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 2011-12-25, 05:37 PM
Veteran

5 grand to be a member?

We always laugh when their TV ad comes on... the guy says he saved $35,000 on his Kitchen cabinets... what a JOKE!
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 2012-06-23, 09:23 AM
Rookie

I'm a Direct Buy Member

I must say afterreading all the posts... Direct buy has pluses and minuses just like any other place out there.
I can definitely say that if you are looking for a quality product at a great price, direct buy is the way to go. That being said, I deal with direct buy in waterloo and the service is horrible, terrible the worst experience of my life. Now you ask why am I still a member after 7 years, is because the pricing is still better then most stores out there. now don't get me wrong, not everything is the best, but the items that I'm interested in.

Tags
direct buy , retailer , review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in