Review: Leon's - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 16 44.44%
Somewhat Satisfied 9 25.00%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 3 8.33%
Extremely Dissatisfied 8 22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-10-09, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Review: Leon's

The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience buying consumers electronics at Leon's Furniture.

This thread is strictly for reviews and is not for discussion. If you have any questions about what belongs in this thread, then please this thread prior to posting.

When you post, please try to include the following information:

• What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-10-09, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Guidelines for Posting Negative Reviews

The truth is no retailer or service provider is perfect and occasionally even the best companies can disappoint. Our experience is that good companies have problems but they typically make every reasonable effort to resolve problems.

If you had a problem and are posting a negative review, then please note what efforts you made to resolve the problem and the feedback you received. If you think the efforts to resolve the problem were NOT reasonable then please explain why. Saying you phoned up and talked to some idiot, suggests the problem may lie with the consumer and NOT the company!

No posting URLS or Directs to Competitors will be deleted

Posts containing URL's to competitors or posts saying gee you should have shopped at this retailer will be considered spam and deleted.

We want opinions, NOT sales pitches or spam!

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-10-09, 03:54 PM

Here's a story that is still being discussed at the Fredericton Leon's annual meeting during the Christmas season.

Back in 1990, I bought a HiFi VCR made by Quasar. That machine did just about everything. You programmed it by scanning a bar code with the dates, day, times etc according to what you wanted to record.

I bought it from Leons on December 23rd at around 8:00 pm at night. Those days, their electronics warehouse closed at 6:00 pm so I was asked to come back the next day when the warehouse was opened in order to get the VCR. They told me to come before 3:00 pm on the 24th because that was the time they would close for the holiday.

On the 24th, at around 2:45 pm, with my car full of "stereo" movies ready to watch them during Christmas, I show up at the store. They are Closed!!!! It must've been slow so they decided to close earlier.

Well that was it. I was cursing up and down left and right but it didn't give me my VCR. So much for listening to "stereo" movies. I went to my friends house and told him my story and how po'd I was. He had a good laugh at my expense.

Later that night, I was watching regular TV when the phone rang. I picked up and this person was telling me that he had my VCR and he'd be ready to give it to me at the place of my choice. Of course I thought it was my friend playing a trick on me so I called him an a$$hole and telling him this wasn't funny.

Nope, the person insisted this was a real deal. To make sure it wasn't my friend, I asked this person who had sold me the VCR, detail that I hadn't told my friend. I could hear him turn pages and then he tells me "This guy sold you the VCR" He was right!!!

I offer my apologies and ask him where he would want to meet. We agree to meet at the very same video store where I got my movies from, at a certain time.

So in my car I go to the "drop off" zone. I see this man come out of a car, carrying my Quasar VCR in a big box. Walks over to me and tells me he took the liberty of bringing the VCR at his house and try to get a hold of me, cause he thought the VCR might have been a christmas present for someone. Yes it was. From myself to me!

I sign the papers that he brought, (mainly my invoices), thank him BIG time for saving my Christmas and we both leave happy. Me for having my HiFi VCR and him, for delivering it before Christmas.

The man, at the time was just a regular salesman. Now, he's the head manager for the Fredericton Leon's. The guy that sold me the VCR tells me that each year, they have a season meeting and that my story gets told each year.

This is just one of my stories with them. I have had VERY good service from them and I still go there to get my electronics. If they don't have it in store, they will do their best to help me out. Like last year, when my LG TV that I had bought there, that had the warranty expire 2 weeks prior the breakdown, how they helped me, I tell you, they are very good. I highly recommend them.

Are they good at every Leon's? Probably not, just like any store you go to. However, when you are well treated, like I was, I tend to go back even though their price might be on the high side sometimes, knowing that if something goes wrong, they will stand by me and help me. Just my 2 cents.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-10-09, 04:25 PM

I ordered a sofa and a love seat from Leons. I had to wait a long time for delivery, but all and all it was a good experience.

However, my sister was not so lucky. She oredered 2 dressers from Leons, and they told her they would be delivered on a wednesday. So my brother-in-law took the day off, and waited. They showed up but WHOOPS they only had 1 dresser. Ok, not THAT big of a deal, they agreed to come back saturday I believe. So they arrived again then WHOOPS they dropped it and broke it (luckly they didnt damage her house). So of course she called them, and they said they'd come by sometime next week. Well you can imagine, that she was not going to accept having to lose another working day, so she yelled at them until they agreed to deliver it on a weekend (might have been the very next weekend, cant remember)

So, overall ill give them an average vote.

Sony KDS-60A2000, Sony Playstation 1/2/3 (60gig) and PSP, Sony STR-DG910, Pioneer/Sony 7.1, 39 PS3 Games, 120 BR movies
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-10-09, 07:29 PM

Thumbs up

Here is my story... We wanted to get a HDTV, and shopped around, and found Leon's price was the same as BB/FS, and the salesman seemed more honest than the others (long story about the other guys "misleading/lying" about interest on the financing...).

So we decide to go with a 44" DLP, as the panels were out of our price range, and spent close to $3000 for the tv and stand. We were talked into the extended warranty, against a good friends advice who was there for the sale and to help me bring the TV home that day.

I brought it home, plugged it in, and was happy with my first HDTV. I believe it was the next day, when the wife noticed a black dot, and that the light on the screen wasn't even. I called in, and told them that I wanted to return the tv, as it was defective out of the box. They told me they would send out a service tech, which I refused, as I wanted a new tv. They agreed, but said I would have to drop the old tv off, and pick the new one up, which was a bit of a hassle, as I had to get my pickup truck friend to help again...

The tv was great for the next year or so, and then the bulb went, which was covered under warranty. I was a little disappointed in how long it took for the repair guy to show up, for what was a 1 minute repair.... A few months later, the same symptoms of the original tv started appearing again. The dot, dimming/distorted color/light....then nothing... I called in, and they said a repair tech would call me in 24-48 hours...I don't think it should take up to 2 days, just to call to book an appointment, but.... The tech calls, and we book an appointment for later in the week, the earliest possible. He shows up, pokes around, and tells my wife the light engine is dead. The part will have to be ordered...

We call in a few weeks later, asking what the status is, and they say they have no record of a tech visiting, yada, yada, yada. I am upset, and go over to Leon's, and complain that the service company they are using, is not up to scratch, and something needs to be done. They make a few calls, and convince the company to come out next week. They show up, finally to fix the tv, at my home, which is nice, and worth paying for! But, he asks me to help him carry the tv down the stairs, and into his van!? I do it, as by this time, I am going crazy watching tv on a 19" CRT. I go into Leon's again, and they are sympathetic to my pleas, and insist on pushing to get the tv fixed ASAP, AND, to send 2 techs to carry it up the stairs and set it back up.

Fast forward another 6 months, and the bulb goes, again.... It was a new company (as I said I didn't want the same company as last time) and I was pleasantly surprised to speak with the tech the same day, and booked an appointment the following day. He was running late, and called to say he would be there in an hour. He came, as promised, and took out the bulb, and realized he had the wrong one to replace it. He apologized, but to be honest, I was so happy with his promptness, and communication with me, that I said it wasn't a big deal, and he said he would come back tomorrow, which he did.

All in all, I wish we would have waited another year or two to make our purchase, as prices dropped substantially, but what can you do... The salesmen were pretty good, it didn't seem like they were trying to BS me with the technology or the financing, unlike the big box electronic stores. Their warranty plan has been well worth the price, and I am hoping if another bulb goes, I can take advantage of their "lemon protection plan" which states they will replace the tv with a new one, if the same part fails 3 times! I was a pretty disappointed with them after the 1st two service calls, but I think it was the poor service from their warranty company that made me angry with Leon's, but they wisely found a more reliable company.

I'm gonna have to give them an above average rating, as they might not be the absolute cheapest, but they have been there to listen to me rant when the tv has issues. Not quite as warm and fuzzy as Danster's experience, but better than what I have seen at other retailers!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-10-09, 09:21 PM

I bought a plasma tv and furniture. The TV had a crack in the glass when I got it home. I called ahead and returned it with no issues.

I have purchased furniture and electronics from them over the last 2 years usually without a problem and if I did have a problem it has never been an issue getting a refund or exchange.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-10-09, 09:55 PM

Leon's exchanged our Panasonic 52" LCD projection TV - after about a week - without much hassle at all. All I had to do was decline the service call (scheduled for 2 weeks later ) and arrange an exchange with the store manager. (The TV developed a very strange blue spot at the top RH corner of the screen).-defective out of the box.
My wife and I chose Leons because their showroom allowed us to easily compare different sets. We spent an entire evening comparing without being hassled by salesmen - after informing them we were taking our time deciding.They answered all questions honestly with no B.S. and prices were competative. An all around excellent experience - compared to some of the morons at other "big box" stores.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2008-10-14, 12:41 PM

I've had great experiences at Leons, when I bought my new home over a year ago all the furniture was from there. I went to the huge one in Scarborough, it was insane busy Salespeople are a little pushy, but the girl we had was helpful and helped us get a Leons card set up. We bought a bed frame, mattrice, dresser and bedroom set, as well as living room sofa, and kitchen table with 6 chairs, was around $4000 or so. We arranged to have it delivered on the day after we moved into the house and it was. The salesperson even mailed us a card thanking us for the purchase.

When it arrived, the one night table had a crack on the corner, like it was put down upside down, and the kitchen table had a small scratch on it but nothing major. We called, they came with a new night table right away a few days later, and gave us a $50 gift certificate for the scratch on the table without even seeing it.

We've since purchased the larger dresser to go with the set from them, as well as a 52" LCD TV a couple months ago. Their free delivery is the best and I've never had any major issues there.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-11-02, 02:27 PM
Veteran

I've essentially boycotted this store as I have now had two bad experiences. A number of years ago I was ready to buy a 36 in. Toshiba TV from them. I found a lower price elsewhere and Leon's was ready to match it, no problem. I wanted to buy it at Leon's because they had delivery and I didn't have a vehicle large enough to fit it. I was already to pay and they were verifying the other price which was at London Drugs but then they tell me that London Drugs is not an authorized Toshiba retailer which was false. I bought it at London Drugs. Had to borrow a van and uncrate the TV.

Fast forward to this year. I am in the market for a dishwasher. Leon's has one on sale but the sale price brings it below the threshhold for free delivery. Both incidents were at the Leon's store on 137 Av in Edmonton which has been there forever. They have a huge fleet of trucks so they don't contract out delivery and I am only five minutes away from the store. I mentioned this to the salesman but he didn't care. I bought the same dishwasher at the Bay where they gladly matched Leon's price and delivery charge. My wife works at the Bay so we got an added discount but had I been able to get the free delivery, I would have purchased it at Leon's.

Two lost sales but so they don't feel bad, I do attend their customer appreciation days and eat their hot dogs under the tent in the summertime.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-18, 08:19 AM

Leon's has some good sale prices if you watch for them.. They have free delivery in my area (some 40 km away). Very fast setup of bedroom furniture, etc...
HOWEVER...I am a little disatisfied with the quality of some of their products. The 2nd most expensive bedroom set in the store has the finish flaking off the top of the end tables...kinda like if you tried to put one thick coat of varnish on it, later it would crack and scrape off easily. this was outside their one year warranty. They did however come and try to "paint/stain" the flaked area to try and repair it, but the one end table looks like you melted chocolate all over it Our couch/loveseat was microfibre, and they said if spill anything on it, if it had MAGISEAL treatment, it would roll right off. NOT TRUE. Reason we asked because we have 2 small kids. Everything sticks to it. Liar.
POSITIVE NOTE: They carry out warranty work to a T. Very good. They sent out professional upholstery cleaners since their "magiseal" didnt work...Bed squeaked so they replaced box spring, and repaired the bedframe(out of warranty).

47LG55|RX-V565|HD DVR|PS3|Wii|3XEnergy Take FPS|2 VS|2 X LCR|DIY SDX-12|DIY Trio12
RC-70x2|RX-V863|MA RS-w12 Sub
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-05-26, 10:06 AM

Angry Lied to...

went in to order 2 leather reclining love seats on "sale". (I quote sale because there is a sale every day of the year at Leons). The sales guy was on the phone to find out the stock availability to give me an idea of delivery. He said the warehouse in Dartmouth was empty so the items would have to come from Ontario and would take a week and 1/2 to 2 weeks. I anticipated this because spring cleanup was 2 weeks away, that way I could get rid of my existing aging furniture just as my new stuff arrived. So garbage day came 2 weeks later and I threw out my lazy boy and couch. Now it 2 weeks after that so called to find out where our stuff is. They tell me there was a 'misunderstanding' with stock and it wont be here until mid June now. My wife tells them that I have a bad back and we threw out our furniture because they said it would be here 2 weeks ago !!! They apologize (big deal). I would like to know how you buy something, its in stock in Ontario, and then it becomes out of stock??? Shouldn't it get "reserved" when you buy it? If I can find something at another retailer before then I am cancelling my order...they should have told me up front that it would be June before delivery could happen.

47LG55|RX-V565|HD DVR|PS3|Wii|3XEnergy Take FPS|2 VS|2 X LCR|DIY SDX-12|DIY Trio12
RC-70x2|RX-V863|MA RS-w12 Sub
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-11-11, 11:39 PM
Rookie

Thumbs down Leon's SUCKS!

Went shopping for a pub style table and chairs from Leons today. Have/had a credit card with them from a few years back. Told card was no longer good anymore and we'd have to go through the hassle of filling out another form to get yet another credit card, if we wanted to take advantage of the 6 months free interest.

Kicker is that we'd been in the store only a few months earlier and were going to purchase another item and were told the same thing. The salesman was busy adding our information on the computer and then told us that the item (mirror) we wished to purchase was non-refundable, so we decided to look elsewhere. As far as we knew, our information was still on their records.

Today, when I told the salesman that, while we did not have a new credit card in hand, our information was, to our knowledge, sitting on their computer records, he refused to even check! So, here we were going through this whole rigmarole again? This time though, instead of pounding away at a keyboard, he drug out a form and proceeded to ask us questions like: what is your mother’s maiden name? (in case of identity theft), what is your SIN? how much is your gross annual income?, what is your driver’s license number?

Again, I tried to tell this person that OUR INFORMATION WAS ON THE COMPUTER! Furthermore, Leon's did not require the information they were requesting, as we had purchased goods from them before, we have a credit rating and - for the 3rd time - would he PLEASE CHECK THE COMPUTER??

Well, after giving us this disgusted look, he storms over to the computer and, lo and behold there's our name. HOWEVER, he points out that it is for a different address. We told him that is correct, because we own 2 homes. So, we asked him, how he had this information, if Leon's supposedly had no information on us at all? No response....

Rather than give up our first born for a lousy 6 months grace period, we finally told them that we'd just put a deposit down and pay for the items when they came in - which could take anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks and then anywhere from another 2 to 3 days for delivery.

All this salesman had to do was check his computer and the whole mess could have been averted. Honestly, we've purchased new vehicles quicker and with less stress than it took to order a table and chairs from Leons!

Finally, for those of you who have worked for credit card companies, you know as well as we do that the majority of the information being collected by many stores really is not required, since the average person has a credit rating of some sort.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-01-07, 08:36 AM

I have yet another story about Leon's. A couple of weeks ago, I went to the store to buy a Panasonic HTIB system. At the same time, I inquired about my reclining leather sofa that had a terrible problem. Every time I opened it, it was like a low-rider: parts would be touching the ground. The whole thing was leaning on one side and so on. I had no idea when I had bought it exactly.

The salesman I usually go for (the same that sold me my Quasar VCR 20 years ago ) went to see the store manager (the same that had delivered the VCR on Christmas eve 20 years ago )) and asked what we could do. Well my sofas' warranty had expired a long time ago. In fact I'd say 2 years ago.

Anyway, the manager said if he had a under carriage for my sofa, I could have it, no problem. Free.

Fast forward to yesterday, I made the call, the manager called Leon's warehouse, someone was waiting for me with the part by the time I got there, loaded it in the car and away I went. I got home, took my old under carriage apart, got ready to install the new one only to find that it wasn't quite the same.

Called up the manager, told him the problem and he told me to get back to the warehouse. I loaded both parts in my car and drove to the warehouse. The guy at the warehouse didn't know what else to do anymore so he called the manager from the store. Not even 10 minutes later, the manager arrived at the warehouse.

He looked at my part, got another one that looked pretty much the same and then we started comparing more closely.

Now here's something you don't see everyday. The manager actually took the time to unbolt/unscrew parts from the new under carriage to carefully match my under carriage. Usually you think of a manager as a pen/paper pusher but this time, I actually saw one with a screw driver and wrenches!

Seriously, I never say it enough. If you stay with the same dealers in your area, and you take the time to settle you problems when they do arise and give them praise when they do deserve it, I think the dealer/customer relationship can co-exist.

Now I have a couch that looks like nothing ever happened to it. Thanks MB!

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 11:51 AM
Rookie

Frustrated

I purchased a washer dryer set through Leon's early in December 2010. There appeared to be a manufacturer's defect, the machine was out of square. Despite the machine only having left the store for 4 hours they would not take it back without a technician from the manufacturer checking it first. It was left to me to arrange this technician.

I finally had a technician arrive 29 days later. I checked with Leon's a few days after and they had not received a report. Again I was left to facilitate that report getting to Leon's.

In my many calls to the customer service department I have rarely spoken to a live person. Despite what the recording says i have only been called back twice after the 8 messages left. Promises to call back made by live operators have not been kept.

I am still waiting for a resolution to my problem. I know that some of the issue is with the manufacturer themselves, but having purchased from other retailers in the past, I feel that I was basically left in the cold with no support from this company. I even purchased an extended warranty! I am into my third month with this problem and have had no support from Leon's whatsoever. I will never purchase from them again.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-02-22, 10:10 AM

never a problem

I have been a customer of Leons for over 30 years and had 2 issues with products and or service in that time and in both instances it was dealt with in a professional and timely manner!

Tags
leons , retailer , review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in