Review: Sears - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 8 19.51%
Somewhat Satisfied 13 31.71%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 5 12.20%
Extremely Dissatisfied 15 36.59%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 2014-12-21, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
^^^^
Extended warranties are generally a bad deal. Sears used to be a good place to shop.
I bought an extended warranty from Sears on my $2000 GE range.

The numbers around the dials wore off with regular use and cleaning (the control panel is at the front on the slide-in range). The part was $350, but covered under the $250 extended warranty after 4 years.

I generally don't buy extended warranties but in this case it paid off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 2014-12-21, 04:15 PM
Veteran

^^^^
So, they had your $250 for 4 years. Lessee now... 350 - (250 + interest) would be less than $100. How long will that new panel last and will the extended warranty still be in force?

The biggest joke was when I bought a CO & smoke detector from Home Depot last spring. They offered a 9 year "extended" warranty on something that already came with a 10 year warranty!

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 2015-03-13, 01:48 PM
Rookie

I've been chasing Sears Canada since November trying to get a replacement part for a vacuum that was purchased in August. They have cancelled my order for no reason and have given me numerous shipping dates and have shown a level of incompetence that was incomprehensible to me until now. Everyone that I talk to is extremely sorry for all of my issues and continues to do nothing about actually solving the problem. I will never buy anything from Sears Canada ever again.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 2015-04-07, 11:37 PM

I've always had pretty good luck with Sears. I've bought two kitchen's worth of appliances in the last eight years and only one minor problem with a dishwasher, which Sears service took care of pain-free. I always wait for sales and I think I did well for value.

I recently ordered some bedding online and it arrived on time and as advertised.

I also buy the occasional clothing item there and have never had a problem.

A few observations:

- A couple of posts in this thread mention Sears' practice of artificially inflating prices so they can discount them for "sales". Unethical? Certainly, but hardly unique to Sears. I worked for Macy's in New York years ago and I remember price change instructions coming in to mark up merchandise by 100 percent the day before a 50 percent off sale.

- Sears Canada is still far and away better than Sears US. It's a shame the latter is sucking the life out of the former to stay afloat.

- Sears is the only middle class game in town now and they're dopes for not taking better advantage of that. Walmart: no thanks. Hudson's Bay: only when there's a major sale.

flaminghomer
Samsung Smart TV | Bell Fibe | Apple TV | Pioneer 919AH | Panasonic BD75 | Bose AM6
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 2015-04-08, 02:10 AM

Last May (2014), I ordered a part for a gas weed eater from Sears. They called me today, nearly a year later, to indicate the part had arrived for pickup at their parts depot. Insane delay. I'm definitely not happy.

Roof-top mounted Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 2015-04-14, 05:00 PM
Rookie

A previous poster says that Sears is good for bedding and clothing and I will certainly not disagree. My problem is with anything that may require after the sale service. I continue to get excuses and the runaround from Sears Canada service in regards to a simple replacement part for a canister vacuum that is covered under a five year warranty and broke less than three months after purchase. I'm starting to believe that I won't receive the part during the warranty period and will finally be told that the warranty is over and they can't help me out. I will never buy anything that might require me to need after sale support from Sears Canada again.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 2015-04-14, 08:28 PM

Last year, against my better judgement we purchased a Natuzzi sofa/love seat and sure enough, after a few months it began to sag. Exchanged it for a Marano couch set without any problem and are now completely happy.

Also, purchased a Beautyrest mattress last week and found it too firm for our liking so exchanged it for the plush model without any problem. Very pleased with Sears....so far.

Tags
retailer , review , sears

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in