Review: Audio Video Unlimited - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with this retailer?
Extremely Satisfied 8 44.44%
Somewhat Satisfied 5 27.78%
Somewhat Dissatisfied 3 16.67%
Extremely Dissatisfied 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-09, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Review: Audio Video Unlimited

The purpose of this thread is for Digital Home members to review and relay their experience buying consumers electronics at Audio Video Unlimited.

This thread is strictly for reviews and is not for discussion. If you have any questions about what belongs in this thread, then please this thread prior to posting.

When you post, please try to include the following information:

• What product or service you purchased.
  • Approximate timeframe you ordered the product
  • What location you dealt with if it’s a company with many stores or service locations
  • Your overall level of satisfaction
  • If you had a positive experience, please explain what made it such a positive experience.
  • If you had a negative experience, please read our guidelines below.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-09, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Guidelines for Posting Negative Reviews

The truth is no retailer or service provider is perfect and occasionally even the best companies can disappoint. Our experience is that good companies have problems but they typically make every reasonable effort to resolve problems.

If you had a problem and are posting a negative review, then please note what efforts you made to resolve the problem and the feedback you received. If you think the efforts to resolve the problem were NOT reasonable then please explain why. Saying you phoned up and talked to some idiot, suggests the problem may lie with the consumer and NOT the company!

No posting URLS or Directs to Competitors will be deleted

Posts containing URL's to competitors or posts saying gee you should have shopped at this retailer will be considered spam and deleted.

We want opinions, NOT sales pitches or spam!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-03-05, 06:30 PM

I was just getting into home theatre back around 2000. I found a center channel at an AVU on clearance, but the tweeter looked pushed in. The sales manager, a guy named Chris, told me this was only a dust cap (the Paradigm cc350) and it would not matter to the sound, so I took it home.

A few months later, while listening to a certain passage, I discover that the tweeter seems to be not dispersing evenly across its supposed axis. I again phone Chris, who assures me it's fine. I phone Paradigm, and talk to a rep there, giving him the model and he assured me the tweeter needs to be replaced, and it should be under warranty since the dealer sold it to me like that.

I took it in, and before I could explain, Chris again tells me it's okay. I informed him that Paradigm says otherwise, which is when he finally stopped his line. They removed the tweeter and had a replacement in about 3 weeks, and all was well.

I never felt the same about the store after that, and after a receiver purchase there was not satisfactory, I quit shopping at that location. Since then, I've purchased 2 projectors, 2 receivers, 4 sets of speakers and a sub and various dvd players and accessories(also $1500 in car audio). I have never darkened their doorway, and happily drive 20 minutes to get to the next Paradigm dealer, also an AVU.

I don't have a problem with the store, but I do with this one salesman. I'll never give him another chance.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-07-10, 04:05 PM

My AVU experience...

So far I can't say enough good things about my local Audio Video Unlimited. They've been great to deal with, no pressure. Answered all questions and explained things clearly. Would highly recommend Cobourg AVU to anyone.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-06-06, 10:51 PM

Bought a TV at the Cambridge AVU. I loved that the store was light-controlled (not many windows) so you can actually see the TVs in a lower light situation. I had picked out a candidate TV on their website before I went and instead of telling the salesman I just described roughly what I was looking for. He mentioned a few options and eventually narrowed it down to the exact model I had previously picked, which was on sale at a good discount (55" LCD for $999). He didn't even attempt to steer me toward a more expensive option, which I liked.

Even after purchasing, they were extremely helpful. First they got an empty box from a floor model to see if it would fit in my hatchback (nope), then they cracked open the box on my TV (factory-sealed) and we checked to make sure it had no damage before helping me load it into my car with packing materials around it.

Would definitely recommend them based on my experience so far. Keeping in mind I have not had to return anything yet!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-10-19, 10:48 PM
Rookie

My local AVU is about 60% computer hardware, 15% cell phones and 25% home theatre. The selection is good for a small store in a small town, and I appreciate that they stock quality equipment. They have, however, stopped selling Pioneer Elite which is unfortunate.

My last purchase was my Sharp LC-42D8U which I picked up for nearly 50% off in a clearance sale. The salesperson told me they were no longer selling Sharp which was the reason for the price, and then told me it was a display model. It turned out they had a boxed unit in the back and when I came back a few months later they were still selling Sharp. Uninformed salesperson, but good service and I'm very satisfied with my TV.

Tags
audio video unlimited , retailer , review

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in