Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

"Sherlock" in Canada? (No Spoilers Please Until After The Episode Airs On PBS)

42K views 132 replies 33 participants last post by  Eldar3333 
#1 ·
"Sherlock" in Canada? (No Spoilers Please Until After The Episode Airs On PBS)

Hi, we've heard that PBS might not show S2 of Sherlock until next spring even though BBC is supposed to show it this fall. We didnt pay attention last year but I think Showcase showed it about a month after BBC so does anyone know if theyll do the same this year? We couldn't find anything o the Shocase website. Thanks!

#92 ·
The sound on PBS-E (Ch535HD) was in DD 2.0 (using fake 5.1). The sound on PBS-W (Ch532HD) was in DD 5.0 (No LFE although the .1 light was on). The sound on Showcase-HD should be in DD 5.1 (like for the previous season).

#93 ·
Sportsfan PBS cut out about 8 or 9 mins. (well actually the people who make the show did it for them) but Showcase is a commercial station so it must have a lot of commercials, right? So I bet it will be shorter than on PBS.

We just got the DVDs so weve got the whole shows now. :D

=====
Sorry I'm adding this later tonight I just noticed that showcase is using a 2-hr. time for "Sherlock" so maybe that means they won't have to cut it at all, if so good for them!

#95 ·
hi cheadelbeagle no one (fans) really knows but theres lots of ideas! You can google for the name of the episode and see newspaper articles about it. there's someone who put together a bunch of ideas on Tumblr called THe Final Problem that's pretty interesting. Also places that talk about TV shows like AV Club and IMDb should have something.

#97 ·
It's not anything at all like the movies. This is a current times reimagination of the famous sleuth, with a stronger emphasis on the storyline and character development than on filling the time with tons of special effects.

When Holmes and Watson first met.

And after they've been working together for a while. :)

#98 ·
Francois those are both great scenes!

Blackloz we watched the latest RDJ movie last night because we have some free PPV from being new Shaw customers. It was okay but it was a lot of fights and explosions. We tried watching the first one on TV once and we just didnt like it so we gave up after about 1/2 hr. The BBC series is much better! Very smart and funny. Its about the interesting people not an action film!

#100 ·
The movies have Holmes like a super-hero.
The movies fit in very well with the current superhero craze. In that respect, they are well done, and are making the $$$ to prove it.

Not a valid Sherlock Holmes in the context of the original character, perhaps, but they are right for the current generation of movies.

The TV series Sherlock appeals as a different type of story. Less brain-dead mass entertainment, but mass entertainment nonetheless. Don't forget, Doyle tried to kill off and get away from Sherlock Holmes stories and only kept them going due to popular demand.

#106 ·
Man! Even "dead" he's still an arrogant prick! :p

I was getting worried for a while. Both Cumberbatch and Freeman are becoming big time movie stars to the point that I was afraid they would end up being priced out of the BBC's budget. It's a good thing they both love their respective parts so much. This show is perfect in so many ways, I would have hated to see it go away after only six episodes.

#112 ·
Well Season 3 Episode 2 was different.....lol

I almost switched off, as it was getting to be hard work watching it but I am glad I stuck with it, in the end.

#117 ·
Sorry, but I can't agree with the statement above. The penultimate action of Holmes was shocking, and the ending sets up season 4, but the plot was not all the intriguing - more like contrived.

Overall, my opinion might be a spoiler, so let's do this:
Season 3 has been the weakest, IMHO. Not for the scripts, but for the chemistry.

I suspect that the success both actors have had (Khan and The Hobbit) has changed them. They now look like top flight actors playing a role very well. Before, they LOOKED (acted, owned, whatever) like Holmes and Watson.

The best part of season 3 has been Mary, IMHO.

#114 ·
No offence guys, but can we not discuss season 3 until it's broadcast. I don't really want to know about it until it airs, but would have missed last night's Unlocking Sherlock if I hadn't seen it in this thread, so I'd like to follow the thread. It's like having someone sitting behind you in the theatre saying "Look out, here comes the good part!"

#115 ·
We are just whetting your appetite for Season 3, just make sure you set that PVR, as I am sure you will need to watch each episode more than once, as they are fantastically complex.

If you don't have a PVR, this is a good time to get one.....lol

#119 ·
The Mind Eraser

Ignore all the previous opinions if you haven't seen the new season.

I want you to just picture a bright white screen that is so bright, that it forces you to close your eyes and then erases your short-term memory. Who is Mike Holmes? Beats me.

If your eyes are now open, just remember that you have no memory of anything you've read ... including this post.

Count backwards from 10 and then when you reach 0, go read another thread because there is no opinion here that you will remember.

Off you go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.