Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - New Videotron modem for phone & internet not compatible with some routers ?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 2012-02-05, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
David Zeno

New Videotron modem for phone & internet not compatible with some routers ?

Hi guys,

I recently switched over to Videotron's service for telephone ( I had their internet for many years without any problems )

The new modem the tech installed at my home was changed because I changed my bundle and went with Videotron for phone also.

Since this happened, I get intermittent signal from my D-Link router to computers. Signals to all my computers ( WiFi ) tell me the signal from router to my computers is excellent ( signal strength ) however, the problem likes FROM the Videotron modem TO the D-link router.

This can happen every 10 mins or less, to sometimes going for days without a problem. Last night, I had to unplug my D-link router every 10 mins or so, a good 5 or 6 times last night, before I got tired and went to bed. So, I unplug the modem, count 10 seconds and plug it back in..... the computer then gets internet a few moments later,, sometimes lasting for hours, sometimes only lasting 5 or 10 mins. Sometimes, the problem will go away by itself, ( internet will go off, then all of a sudden it comes back on, but then will go off again 10 mins later )

There must be some sort of incompatibility between the Videotron modem and this D-Link router. Is there a possibility this is the problem ?

Hopefully I'm not the only one who has this problem, and I can get some help. The modem is a D-Link model, it's white, has 3 antennas, and is model number: DIR-655

I even tried the hard wire ports on the back of the modem to several computers, and even the hard wire lan connection does not I get a "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

If I disconnect the router completely and run the modem with Ethernet cable to any of the computer directly, the problem disappears ( I get internet access )

any help with this is MUCH appreciated, thanks for your time !

P.S. - I should also note that last night I did a hard reset of the D-Link router, pressing the "reset" button, which brought the router back to factory settings. However this morning, the same problem still exists :-(

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome