Came across my old iPod, trying to make good use out of it and so far its a FAIL - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-03, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Came across my old iPod, trying to make good use out of it and so far its a FAIL

So around the time I was about to get married, my then fiancee, got me an apple iPod touch. I did not have much music in digital format at the time, but I did make good use it in other ways. I used it for mostly productivity, organization and to manage my personal business. It was great for what I needed it to do. Also the odd time when I was not working I used it for listening to podcasts, as well as watching Legal VOD content and other BDU provided apps.

After getting married, I kinda lost tabs on my iPod and kinda put it aside somewhere in my basement, fast forward to the end of 2019 to now, I finally came across it while cleaning, I charged it up and factory reset it and was now hoping to use it to stream my spotify music on it, and so I tried to install the app, it tells me its not compatible. okay, so my next option, I have a ton of purchased music on my Google Play Music library, so I was hoping to use the ipod to play it, Try to install Google Play music, it tells me its not supported. Damnit, I then try to install Youtube and Youtube music so I can try their streaming services, then I find that both those apps are not supported on this iPod. Argh! at this point I'm like what the heck, Theres absolutely nothing wrong with this iPod, i kept it in very good condition, but for some reason Apple and the App Designers have decided to discontinue the apps that I would get the most enjoyment from. Ohh well, I guess if electronics surpass the shelf life, then the companies do these little tricks to get you to buy new hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-03, 01:53 PM

What version iPod do you have?
Might be worth looking at Rockbox iPod Classic to see if yours can use it.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-03, 02:04 PM
Veteran

OP mentioned he has an iPod Touch, not Classic. Good luck getting any new versions of software to work on that. The hardware may work fine, but it's still ancient in the mobile era with regards to onboard memory, CPU, etc. It's like expecting Office 2019 to run on a 32-bit Pentium PC with 512 megabytes of RAM. Plus, newer versions of apps probably rely on newer OS API methods which aren't available as the recent iOS versions are 64-bit whereas the older iPod Touches have 32-bit chips.

--
Neil

Last edited by NeilN; 2020-02-03 at 04:14 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-03, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

just checked, its a iPod touch 4th Gen. yeah pretty much cant install anything on it, would like to use it for music mostly, but a lot of my music is on google play musics cloud and i cant even install the app on this thing. this means im going to have to download my library off google play music using my pc, and then have to install itunes on my computer and sync my mp3s with the ipod? seems like a tedious process. probably not worth it in my humble opinion. this is one of the reasons I shy'd away from apple, the terrible syncing process for your music, were in 2020 you think they would have made a way to sync music without external computer and sync cables? android has been able to do this since as long as i know. but apple? yeah i wont hold my breath. if android made an ipod equivalent id be using it in a heart beat but they don't and i am stuck with this device my wife got me. i was thinking maybe i will wipe it clean and give it to someone but most kids in our extended family does not own mp3 music, nor do they own cds, they pay a premuim to listen to spotify all day long, that is one of the apps that wont work on here.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-03, 02:33 PM
Veteran

Having a look at https://www.reddit.com/r/LegacyJailbreak/ might bring up some options.

--
Neil
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-03, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

yeah no thanks. i saw there's tons of people putting ios 7 on their ipod touch 4, it works, but there's a lot of compatibility issues, not worth the hassle in my humble opinion
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-03, 03:35 PM
Veteran

If you can find an older compatible version of the apps (iap files) and an old version of itunes, it will allow you to install the iap app file to your ipod.

LONSat
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-04, 12:35 AM

I use two iPod Touch, 4th generations as podcast machines. In every thrift shop in every town everywhere, there’s always an iHome, Phillips, etc., radio/iPod box utilizing the 30 pin connector to be had for $5.

I have one in the garage and by my bed for when insomnia strikes. Nothing puts me to sleep like ‘Windows Weekly’ on the TWIT network.

Coupled with the right headunit, they’re also great as a car system, and if you know what you’re doing, can output videos to the screen, unlike the newer, DMCA restricted Apple Lightning connectors. Makes passengers happy on long, boring drives....
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-04, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONSat View Post
If you can find an older compatible version of the apps (iap files) and an old version of itunes, it will allow you to install the iap app file to your ipod.
Does the version of iTunes make installing older apps restrictive?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-04, 08:35 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
...unlike the newer, DMCA restricted Apple Lightning connectors. Makes passengers happy on long, boring drives....
What does the DMCA have to do with Lightning cables?

--
Neil
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-04, 08:59 AM
Veteran

@tvmaster There are online repositories of old iap files/apps. iTunes became a music only management program a few versions ago. Apps could be managed by iTunes as well - now they are only managed through the app store app.

LONSat
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-04, 10:27 AM

Interesting - I just picked up a spare 4th Gen Touch but haven’t done anything with it yet. Time to get muckin’
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-04, 10:30 AM

When the Lightning first appeared, sending video out of an iPod became more restrictive depending on what the external display device was. Maybe that’s changed?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-04, 10:51 AM
Veteran

Lightning has never had HDMI, DVI, etc., output and so is incapable of adding HDCP encryption so I don't know what you're referring to.

--
Neil
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-04, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

so if i want to dump movies and songs on this thing i "need" to install itunes its a must? i guess i can probably put this stupid thing to some use and move some of my movie files onto it and connect it to an external tv monitor in the back seat of the car for the kids to watch for long road trips and such. it has the 40 pin iphone connector so i would need a 40 pin breakout cable to sd video im assuming? maybe not worth the effort and time im thinking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in