Came across my old iPod, trying to make good use out of it and so far its a FAIL - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-04, 02:15 PM
Veteran

If you simply want to transfer music and video Media Monkey might be an option. It is an itunes like program for media only.
tvmaster likes this.

LONSat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-04, 04:52 PM

How many GB is it?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-05, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

32 GigaBytes, its not that bad of a size

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-05, 02:23 PM
Veteran

Builtin obsolescence. It's our fault!

40-50 years ago the consumer would have tarred and feathered and run out of business any manufacturer who deliberately sold them products that would go out of date/have (almost) irreplaceable/hard to find parts. Today instead of being up in arms about it we all simply shrug and run out to buy those products even though we know that the devices:
- use a non user-replaceable battery
- won't be supported after three or so further "releases" of the product
- won't be easily reparable if they break down

How did we become so gullible and stupid?

FTR: I have a third gen. iPOD Touch. It still plays the music that was loaded onto it when it was new. However, about half the downloaded (paid) or original apps are now nonfunctional. I make it a point not to use the apps made by those same developers on my current devices. In my feeble way I'm thumbing my nose at those developers.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-05, 03:58 PM
Veteran

Your view of the past does not match mine. 40-50 years ago you had the first wave of PCs and video game systems. How long were they on the market before they went out of date? 2-3 years? I remember buying a new PC every couple years from about 1993-2005 so I could run the latest software with decent performance (and I had at least four computers between 1980 and 1993). It's now 5-6 years between purchases. Same thing with the iPad - quickly went through an iPad, iPad 3, and iPad Air (all given away) before keeping an iPad Air 2 for five and a half years now (still supported through six iOS releases). If you're buying tech when it's still evolving then don't expect the tech to stop evolving and your purchase not becoming "obsolete" when it comes to new features.

--
Neil
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-05, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

the problem is things evolve at a rate faster than we expect. some times its good for tech to reach a "plateau". My parents TV set is a good 15 years old, its 1080P HD, it still works and it works great. my buddy on the other hand thought he was smart to go with his HDTV, then got rid of it cus 3D TV came out, so he got rid of his old stuff and replaced it with a 3D TV, 3D video games, 3D movies, etc, only to find out his 3D TV was now becoming obsolete, and guess what he did? yup you guessed it, he got rid of it, bought another HDTV to replace it, then a few years later he hopped on the 4K TV bandwagon and got rid of his old tv as it was giving him problems, now he is still having problems and thinks he spent more than $15,000 on upgrading technology, where as my parents spent $0 in the last few years and their tv still works. some times you win some times you lose.

anyways without going largely off topic, I GET IT that technology becomes obsolete faster than we wish, and yeah it sucks, but some times we are gifted these, mine was a gift from my wife, if it was up to me i would not have bought it I would have spent the money on a nice camera maybe. My friend spent thousands of dollars buying music from itunes he gets paid monthly so every month when he got paid he would load up his itunes account with $100 or $200 and buy his fav songs and albums, but now he moved on to streaming and he now just pays for streaming services like Tidal, spotify, and what ever data and roaming fees it costs him to stream his music anywhere, even when he is driving in the states.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-05, 10:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
...and what ever data and roaming fees it costs him to stream his music anywhere, even when he is driving in the states.
Which is stupid because most streaming services let your download favourite playlists, tunes and albums for listening offline. Anyone who cannot wait a few hours until they can get a wifi connection and download something new has no common sense and, way too much money or poor money management skills.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-06, 05:08 AM

Well, like I said earlier, the Podcast app still works, and iTunes is fine with that. As long as podcasts continue for this device, and iOS 6, your iPod is crazy useful until it dies....Facetime still works, as does wifi. Lots of things this little unit can do, currently. There’s even a working Solitaire app. And, as father Steve Jobs envisioned, it still can hold 7,000 songs. In a beautiful, sleek, tiny platform. But if you don’t want it....
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 2020-02-06, 09:08 PM
Rookie

yes, that's necessary for compatibility purposes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in