New iPad Pro slight rant! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-02-05, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

New iPad Pro slight rant!

I have an mk3 iPad stuck on IOS 10, my Wife has a newer one. I though I'd treat us to a new iPad Pro. So I happened to be at the Waterloo Apple Store yesterday, at about 2pm while all the kids should be in school. After 40 minutes and still no salesperson I gave up. Here in Guelph we have the Jump Apple dealer so I took another try this morning. Sadly I don't think they train salespeople.

Anyway. The new IPads have only a USB C connector which is fine as it is a new standard. Comes with a cable of course which I would expect to be USB C to USB A so that one might connect to a regular
PC. Nope, it is USB C to USB C cable and the supplied charger is USB C only.
This might work for MAC users and people with this years PC with uptodate motherboards but not for the rest of us. I would think that as this is a consumer device, even though they call it the Pro that maybe a slightly more common system would be better...Apple do sell all kinds of USB C to other things adapters as they should at a price of course.

To add insult to injury they didn't have the keyboard. I gave up for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-02-05, 11:48 AM
Veteran

There are lots of USB-C to USB-A 3 cables and adapters on eBay and Amazon. I purchased a couple of Ugreen cables from the Ugreen Direct Store on eBay and they are good quality. They are about 1/4 to 1/2 the price from Amazon or local retailers and shipping is fast. USB-C is a standard so compatibility should not be an issue, especially with USB-A.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-02-05, 01:10 PM
Veteran

Wait a sec. just hold it right there, you mean to tell me the Ipad Pro actually has a USB-C connector INSTEAD of the apple proprietary lightning connector? WELL ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-02-05, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Not only does it have USB C but it has one with all the things that they can do.
I know there are plenty of cheap and good cables for USB C. My ramshackle collection of gear is a mixture of old style USB 3 and 2 and plenty of Lightning for the iDevices. We have iPad charge blocks in all the places we might need them...and I know one single USB C to USB A cable would be enough? I know any new stuff will have USB C connections but none of the computers need to be refreshed quite yet.

Really I guess my rant is against Apple sales rather than the hardware but I still think a USB C to USB A cable should have been the one that was in the box OR allowing the customer to swap one in at point of sale.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-02-05, 09:36 PM
Veteran

Quote:
you mean to tell me the Ipad Pro actually has a USB-C connector
The USB 3 port standard incorporates USB 3.x, Display Port, Apple Lightning and some other protocols. They may not all be implemented on every device but the USB 3 connector is designed to be the connector that supersedes all (well most, uh...maybe some) others for the near future. It's just too bad they came out with a dozen or so other incompatible connectors in the past dozen or so years. The best part is that the port is symmetrical, which means it will work either way. No more fiddling with upside down connectors.

Quote:
Really I guess my rant is against Apple sales rather than the hardware...
It sounds more like a store issue. I'm sure Apple would like to hear about the experience. They make their money from happy customers. I've disliked Apple hardware for some time (about 40 years.) It works well but costs too much and their proprietary protocols really rip off customers. Other brands of phones are not much different when it comes to cables and connectors. They supply the cable that works with the supplied charger. That's it. Anything else is on the customer. The difference with Apple is that only a $50 Apple cable will work with Apple products while other brands will work with a generic $10 cable.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-02-05, 11:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
The difference with Apple is that only a $50 Apple cable will work with Apple products while other brands will work with a generic $10 cable.
You mean I've been hooking up my $9 AmazonBasics Lightning to USB A Cable to my iPad for nothing?? I've been using my iPad for 3-4 hours a day for the past year on a single charge? That's pretty amazing.

--
Neil
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-02-06, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

I don't have a problem with the idea of moving the world to a common standard. But as you say there are so many incompatible connectors over the last few years.

I suggest that the public is used to Lightning, USB type A and HDMI. IMO HDMI is a terrible connector as it has no locking mechanism. USB A is not symmetrical but it is rugged enough that it doesn't break if someone tries to insert it upside down and it has been made to support USB 3, the old kind well enough.
Lightning does work ok and is small and neat but it is proprietary...but many people are used to it many of us have IDevices.
Ethernet is a strange one...the connectors are weak and easy to break off the locking tab but they work fine and have not changed in at least 20 years. The cable has changed in that time but for the general public only those actually using Gb Ethernet would notice.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-02-06, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

I wonder. Does the USB C. Connector support HDMI?
I sort of remember seeing an Apple adapter in the Apple Store. I did not check the price. I wonder if it needs active components to work.
I have never heard of a tv with a USB C connector. Yet.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-02-06, 08:52 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlocke View Post
I don't have a problem with the idea of moving the world to a common standard. But as you say there are so many incompatible connectors over the last few years.

Ethernet is a strange one...the connectors are weak and easy to break off the locking tab but they work fine and have not changed in at least 20 years. The cable has changed in that time but for the general public only those actually using Gb Ethernet would notice.
I think that the reason Ethernet cables work well for most people is because they don't really get connected then reconnected 3-4 times a day.

In many instances they get connected for 3-4 years and left alone because they work.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-02-06, 09:30 AM
Veteran

The USB-C itself is not the problem, the problem is we have many devices in use today which use multiple and older revisions of the usb charging port standard and their own proprietary standard that the only inconvenience is one device uses one connector, while our other devices use a different connector, This is an inconvenience yes, but as things move forward in the future, the usb-C device should be included on all New tablets, phones, fablets, cameras, and other loT/LoTr devices like Alexas, google homes, apple tvs, android boxes, etcetera
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-02-06, 03:09 PM

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209186

Yes it does support HDMI.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-02-06, 03:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Other brands of phones are not much different when it comes to cables and connectors. They supply the cable that works with the supplied charger.
Android phones have used micro USB <> A cables for years for charging and data transfer. This means any charger would work with any phone. On the other hand, Apple has had 2 different proprietary connectors in about the same time.

Quote:
Actually, the change was needed with the shift to 100 Mb. 10 Mb could run over CAT 3 cable, but 100 Mb required CAT 5. Gb will also run fine over CAT 5, as that's what it was designed for. 100 Mb and Gb have the same signalling rate, but Gb has more constellation states, to carry more data, than 100 Mb.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-02-07, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

And the micro USB worked for Kindles and some Garmins and maybe other devices as well.

So, given that USB C is the way of the future please can I have my iPhone upgraded for $10. No new phone, no adapter I would lose but a real factory upgrade.

And. Why doesn't the latest iPhone have USB C ? I just checked.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2019-03-03, 02:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
On the other hand, Apple has had 2 different proprietary connectors in about the same time.
Actually Apple has had 3. When the nano iPod launched, it did not have the apple 30 pin connector, it synced and charged via the 3.5 millimeter headphone jack which connected to a docking station.

All in All, I applaud this move by Apple to finally change over to USB-C connector. Its too bad I still own an ipad with the 30 pin connector, well its sorta broken now from wear and tear and especially having to deal with 2 young kids for most of the week while the wife works long shifts. In the future when we finally get some more money we hope to buy a new one with usb-c. We might not stick with apple in the future tho.. possibly android but even if we did get apple, we would get the one with usb-c

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in