Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Help with a hand shake issue

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Mozza 
#1 ·
Hi folks. I am hoping for some help. I have developed what I believe is a handshake issue between my VIP1216 and my Onkyo 806 amp. The entire set up has been together and worked flawlessly for over a year now. I have high end HDMI cables to all units. About 3 or 4 weeks ago (coincidental to a software download I think) I started having issues. It now takes multiple attempts to turn my system on. First attempt usually gives all 3 (TV amp and STB) all on but either no sound or non-Dolby sound. Second attempt will give correct sound but a 4-3 picture vis 16-9. Third and subsequent attemps are variations on the theme until I finally get the correct sound and picture combination. I have switched all the HDMI connections around, done both soft and factory resets.
I had an MTS tech come and look at the situation. He found an error code that he said he had never seen before. Did not know what to do with it and left. This is a very disapointing effort on MTS part but leaves me with a frustrating situation.
I am lost as to where to go next. Has anybody seen this before? Is there a solution.
Thanks

#3 ·
I have an newer Onkyo Receiver and I do not have the problem you have, but I notice my Receiver does take time to turn everything on. I use a Harmony One, so everything turns on at once (not sure the exact order).

What I do see is that the Receiver seems to turn on first, and when the STB turns on it automatically reconnects, then when the TV turns on the Receiver does another handshake. What I see is a blank screen, I hear the audio come on, it goes off, then back on again with picture. All this takes a few seconds and coincides with the Harmony One turning on everything. The Onkyo seems to detecting each device and re-handshaking automatically to ensure it is connected correctly.

It appears to work as in should.

If you are using a Harmony, try turning on the devices in the following order
TV, STB, Receiver.

hope this helps

#7 ·
@snowbear, it might be a good idea to turn on the devices manually in a particular order for a while to see if you can get it to work consistently. I know that seems like the dark ages when you have a Harmony, but HDMI is a complex protocol and can be very troublesome, especially with an AVR in the middle. If you can get it to work consistently, then you may be able to pllay with the timing.

#10 ·
Still no luck. In random order I have tried>>> Removing the Viera link, removing,cleaning and reversing all HDMI cables, switched the order each unit turns on, applied delays of between 1 and 10 seconds to the Harmony One timing. As yet it is still a crap shoot and about 6 tries to get everything up and running correctly.

#11 ·
Success finally. It took a complete re-wiring of all the hookups. My STB now has inputs to both the amp and TV. Huge thanks to Tim Parsons at Center in Regina. He had seen the problem before and had the knowledge and patience to run me thru the work around via a phone call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.