ON/MI - Windsor, Detroit, Sarnia, Leamington, Chatham - OTA - Page 46 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #676 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-12-30, 11:23 PM

Actually, in your area, there is no stations that broadcast in digital. You can probably get american stations from Detroit or Cleveland, but for those, you need an outdoor antenna.

Check TV Fool and enter your postal code to get the list of available stations and required antenna.
http://www.tvfool.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #677 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-12-31, 02:45 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Gemma, you'll find a few other Leamington-area members in this thread and you'll do great with the right gear.

post #678 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-12-31, 03:20 AM

Welcome Gemma,

There should be at least a couple Detroit digitals possible with a indoor antenna unless the walls in your place are blocking the signals or the digital converter box is defective. What type/model of indoor antenna are you using right now?

The best spot to put an indoor antenna is on or near a window facing the direction of wanted TV signals. A west facing window without a metal screen should pick up at least a few Detroit digitals with varying success. WJBK (FOX) Detroit is on VHF 7 and will be very difficult to get indoors though. Lots of electrical interference indoors coupled with the close by local high powered radio stations can further hurt VHF digital TV. An FM Trap or HSLJ can be used to keep FM radio stations out and allow VHF-hi digital TV channels to pass through.

The local analog stations currently on channel 9 CBC,16 /A\,22 Global TV,32 TVO,34 CFTV,54 SRC should be easy, even with a cheap indoor rabbit ear+UHF loop based antenna. Hopefully when they convert to digital next summer they will still come in decent.

It's a good idea to read the OTA FAQ's here at Digital Home and also look back through this local Windsor-Sarnia-Leamington-Chatham OTA thread to see what has worked for others in this area, what is available, and what to expect. Like Betamax suggested though, take a look at your TVFOOL results and post them here. I have found that reception can vary dramatically with the large ridge in the area. On the north side just a few kms north of town the reception from Toledo/Cleveland is much more difficult (no LOS), where Detroit is easier. On the south side near the lake Toledo (LOS) and Cleveland may be easier.
While a indoor antenna might get some Detroit UHF dtv signals, most people are using an outdoor antenna for reliable OTA dtv reception, especially for the stations in the region that are on VHF now. If you cannot have your antenna outside but have some space indoors and don't mind, a CM4221HD or similar smallish antenna could work very well.
If you would want anything from Toledo or Cleveland, a good outdoor antenna mounted at least 20 feet off the ground would be required due to the distance away they are (50-70 miles). A preamplifier like a CM7777 or a distribution amplifier (powered splitter) can help stop further signal loss from the antenna's output from longer RG6 coax cable runs.

Also, depending on how far north in town you are, you also could experience some UHF signal multipath from the new wind farm to the northwest like i am. (leads to bad digital dropouts and fluttery analog UHF reception)
I find it is worse near ground level. Mounting the antenna(s) up higher helped a tiny bit though.

Good luck.

post #679 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2011-01-02, 10:13 PM
Rookie

thanks alebow.....and everyone else for taking the time to help us newbies.

Going to look for the lighthouse place...and hopefully get set up from there.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by stampeder; 2011-01-02 at 10:55 PM.
post #680 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2011-02-03, 11:07 AM
Rookie

Lasalle Need CBC How?

I am with bell tv and dont get CBC Local news at 6 ,How can I get this plus others by using only indoor antena ? Any particular good antena -or do I need some other stuff too, and where to buy ..?
Thanks
post #681 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2011-02-03, 01:24 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

chachu, I could ask you so many questions but instead please follow the steps in the following post so that we have info to help you better:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125161

post #682 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2011-02-07, 11:45 PM

Can anyone near lake erie tell me if they are receiving a better signal of Toledo's WNWO NBC24. The reason I ask is, that it was rumoured that they would be upping their power in Feb. sometime. Last year took down old vhf/uhf combo from cottage hwy50 near Meadows, for roof work and put up a 4 bow tie ant. up 20-25ft. old style but new. and couldnt pick up NBC24 just 11.1 11.2 13.1 13.2 13.3 30.1 30.2 30.3 from Toledo. But no Fox36 either. Trying to fig. out what to do for upcoming summer.

thanks.
post #683 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2011-02-08, 04:57 AM

Quote:
The reason I ask is, that it was rumoured that they would be upping their power in Feb. sometime.
This has already taken place. Happened on the early morning hours of Jan 13 2011.

You may consider adding a preamp to the antenna setup. It's the only way I can get most of the Toledo stations here where I have weak 2edge reception. OTOH, your cottage location has LOS signals and they show up above 30dB NM in TVFOOL. That's a great location for picking up Toledo. Probably the best in the entire county.

More on 24-1,36-1.. Sadly, WNWO and WUPW are tremendously weak and finicky due to the fact both stations use very directional radiation patterns on their antennas that heavily limit signal from crossing the lake at Industry Canada's request, but 11,13,30 are non-directional.

hope this helps

[SIZE=1]AD 91XG (UHF) / Antennacraft Y10-7-13 (VHF) / CM7777 Preamp
post #684 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2011-02-08, 08:27 PM

thankyou Phil81 for your reply. Well thats good news that power did increase.Im not using a rotor or amp there just turning the pole physically.I would have thought I would have gotten it last summer since we seem to be right across the lake from T Town.From our beach we see the Fermie ll nuke plant perfectly and thats Monroe Mich.But were about 2 city blocks from the lake. We have quite a few trees LOS so maybe it was also blocking the signal too.

Also a question for anyone......This 4 bay bowtie has the bowtie's in a loop and not open at the ends, was thinking of cutting the loop that the ends are more open like a home made 4 baybowtie. Does anyone think that will help???

Going to try to get it higher this summer and try to get any Cleveland.

Isnt that nice of Industry Canada to ask that the signal does not come into Ont. Our Gov't is so nice to watch over us like that.
post #685 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2011-02-08, 08:43 PM

Just a side note.......I also put back up under the 4 bay a old Rad Shack FM only antenna.ABout 12 elements on it with RG6.Still works great picked up alot of Toledo,Clev and other parts of OHio radio.

here;s just a few noteables......
104.7 WIOT ---Toledo/Rock
94.5 WXKR---Toledo/Classic Rock
93.5 WRQN---Toledo/Oldies
98.5 WNCX---Clev/Classic Rock
Q104.1---Clev/Oldies
100.7 WMMS---Clev./Active Rock.....sometimes interfer.from 100.7 the Rock
97.5 WONE---Akron/Rock......prob. wont get because of CBC on 97.5 now.

just some of the free radio out there with proper ant., much more not listed along with our Detroit/Windsor regulars.
post #686 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2011-02-09, 02:54 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

You'll want to get one of these then to hear those U.S. FM radio stations in full digital:

Sony XDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD Radio Tuner - Exceptional!

Back to OTA TV in this thread though.

post #687 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2011-03-19, 10:28 PM

Im sporadically getting 23.1 WUDT Daystar from Detroit 10% signal.With old style uhf/vhf ant up 20ft. Anyone else getting this channel??? Also is there a digital ION from Detroit??? thx.
post #688 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2011-03-20, 02:05 AM
Veteran

23.1 WUDT is on RF08. Re-maps to 23.1 For its proximity, I have never been able to get even a faint signal on it. Probably because its only at 0.3 kW out in Oakland Park (8 mile rd), but it is non-directional to the Windsor/Detroit core. It is worth noting that they have applied to revert back to RF 23 at 15kw directional. See http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...&postcount=465

Re: ION. Detroit has an affiliates in WPXD. They broadcast in digital on RF 31. However it is down in Ann Arbour and the signal has trouble reaching the Detroit/Windsor core area. I myself can't get it. They also have a translator in the north end, W48AV, which is analog on RF 48. However that signal is mostly for the north and the west, again, not really coming in well to the Detroit/Windsor core. Once in a while I will pull a faint signal of this but not really watchable. As such, they have asked for and received permission from the FCC to move to WKBD-TV's old analog tower in Southfield at 345 kW, RF 50.

This of course will make it semi-confusing as we will have RF 50 which will remap to 31, and WKBD which will broadcast on RF but remap to 50. We also don't have a hard date for when this will happen. They got permission back in Oct 2009 and since then not a peep as to what is going on.

As for the future of the translator, they intend to flash cut it to digital, assuming the new contour from Southfield doesn't cover the the northern portion of Detroit well.
post #689 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2011-03-20, 02:35 AM
Veteran

As a follow-up, just looked up the FCC info on WPXD and W48AV. Looks as if W48AV will decrease from 35kw to 2kw, and has until 12/29/2011 to be operational unless of course they apply for an extension. As for WPXD, they have till 10/21/2012 to flash cut from 31 to 50.
post #690 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2011-03-21, 09:11 PM

Thx for the info Alebowgm. Daystar isnt really a channel I would watch anyway but a prettycool catch, looking forward to that ION ch. to add to our channel lineup.By then hopefully CBC and A Ch. will be full HD with some sub channels too.Might have to go buy a 91XG for all that action.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in