ON/MI - Windsor, Detroit, Sarnia, Leamington, Chatham - OTA - Page 43 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #631 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-07-25, 07:48 PM
Rookie

Hi, I also have a question for fellow Essex Co. people.I have what I believe to be a Delhi HD 2900 antenna on a 20 Ft. tower and about 5 Ft. of pole with a CM rotor and a Delhi power amp.I have it turned to only Detroit because my rotor jams up and sticks. I have replaced the rotor before but it is such a pita to get to so I leave on Detroit.

I would like to know if I could mount 2 antennas like the CM-4221HD and point 1 at Toledo and 1 at Cleveland and just leave the Delhi pointed to Detroit.Would the CM-4221 get all the channels like my Delhi does.Even with the Delhi pointing at Detroit I can still bring in Toledo and Cleveland sometimes but not enough to use PVR.When the rotor worked and antenna was pointed to Toledo or Cleveland channels came in good.

TV Fool >http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbec9a7503e5e
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-07-26, 10:36 PM
Rookie

FdSmith, I have a setup kinda like that but I have one antenna aimed at Cleveland and one aimed at Toledo(two total). The antennas are identical and wired as one. I don't even bother pointing them at Detroit, we are so close I get a good signal through the backside of the antenna. A few of my Cleveland channels are come and go so I ordered a ANTENNACRAFT 10G212 pre amp. Will post back results.
post #633 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-08-05, 12:31 AM
Rookie

new in West Windsor

Hi,
I've been reading for a while and decided to register.
Recently we moved from Kitchener to Windsor.
I have a simple setup just to get the T.V. going.
20 feet up an RCA ANT751 antenna connected to 60 feet RG6 Zenith quad coax running to my MicroGem MG2000 converter feeding a JVC I'Art 27" analog T.V.
Not very high tech, but it's what the budget allows now. Getting quiet a few channels from Detroit and Toledo.
The T.V. signal analysis results are pretty good:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe4b397dba0b

The actual location is not so much. I am pinched between the 13.5kV free air street wiring and a parallel run of 115.0kV free air wiring 150 feet away. My little combo antenna is facing a big old dieing maple tree 4 feet away. Sounds crazy but this direction picked up the most channels with the best signal, which is almost 180 degree from Detroit and Toledo towers. When there were no leafs on this tree, it even picked up ION.
So, since I don't pay for T.V. I can save some money for OTA hardware.

Thanks for any tip.

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-08-05 at 12:10 PM.

post #634 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-08-05, 12:09 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoTo
Sounds crazy but this direction picked up the most channels
Yep, sometimes OTA antenna aiming can be quite counter-intuitive! Also here's the thread you need to read through for suppliers:

OTA: Ontario Parts, Sales, Service, Installers

When you're in that thread use the Search This Thread tool to the upper right beside Thread Tools and put in Windsor as the search term.

post #635 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-08-05, 01:55 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the tip.
Yes, Search this Thread works!
I'm gonna check some out today.
post #636 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-08-08, 08:37 PM
Rookie

Should I replace my Antenna?

I live in Southern Ontario near Windsor, my antenna is quite old, I added a digital rotor and a signal booster (on the mast). It's a big old ugly antenna but I get quite a few channels from Detroit, Toledo and Cleveland. I'm happy with it but I keep wondering, if I had a new ant. would I pick up more? When I check online I don't see a lot more to get but maybe I could get some in more often or with a stronger signal.

Is there any reason to believe that a new weingard antenna would outperform my 30 year old antenna and is it worth the cost to replace it?

Thanks,

Matt
post #637 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-08-08, 09:39 PM
Veteran

It sounds like the existing antenna is working fine. Unless there is physical damage or obvious signal loss, there should be no need to replace it.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #638 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-08-08, 09:42 PM
Veteran

Can you show us a photo of this antenna? We'll let you know what we think
post #639 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-08-11, 03:06 PM
Premium Supporter

According to the mirror of the IC database maintained by Stampeder, the CIII repeated at Stevenson, Ont., has been approved and is now listed there.

Stevenson; CIII-DT-22; Channel 22; 110.0 metres; 49000 watts
post #640 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-08-18, 12:23 AM
Rookie

Re post #632. I finally installed my Antenna Craft pre-amp and noticed a small improvement but not as much as I had hoped for. I think my issue is more to do with my antenna setup. I will post my questions in the appropriate threads.

Thanks
post #641 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-08-18, 05:40 PM

What are your results...? What stations are you pulling from Toledo & Cleveland? Comparing results with others can help determine if you can achieve more...

Antennacraft HBU33, Antennacraft 10G201 preamp, Samsung PN50A650 Plasma, Samsung LN40B540 LCD.

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-08-18 at 06:30 PM. Reason: quote removed as per rules
post #642 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-08-20, 04:50 PM
Rookie

Anyone in Chatham?

Hello, I am wondering if anyone from Chatham is using one of the DIY antenna? I am trying to build one and would love to compare experiences. Thanks.
post #643 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-08-20, 06:28 PM
Rookie

I'm in Chatham and record The Outer Limits and Highway Patrol on WDIV 4.2. During the day I get 100%signal on a Channel Master OTA box. However, when recording thee shows from 4-5:30am it often loses signal. When I turn the TV on in the morning I getthe "no signal" black screen. If I change channels then go back to 4.2 the signal is back to 100%

1. Do they turn down the signal in the early hours?
2. Has anybody else have this on 4.1 or 4.2?
3. Does the Channel Master OTA box have problems getting stuck in "no signal" mode?
post #644 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-08-20, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Lahey
However, when recording thee shows from 4-5:30am it often loses signal.
This has been common lately with WDIV due to Tropo. Far distant stations' signals travel MUCH further than they should leading to co channel interference. In most cases (like this morning) it is WLLA-DT from southwestern Michigan that was interfering. Not much that can be done to stop it other than try to adjust the antenna to minimize the offending signal. In our case the offending signal is in the same direction of WDIV so it makes it worse. With the cooler weather coming this fall/winter these tropo conditions will be considerably reduced.

I have also seen WNEO-DT from northeastern Ohio also take WDIV out. These three stations operate digitally at various strengths on the same channel (45)

Tropospheric conditions and forecasts are described here:
www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

There is a DX and tropo thread on the forums here to discuss these conditions as well.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=121819

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-08-20 at 10:14 PM. Reason: fixed URL link
post #645 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-08-20, 10:12 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

vietkid2, use the Search This Thread tool to the upper right beside Thread Tools and put in Chatham and you'll see lots of posts. Then when you can tell from those which antenna is working best in Chatham just look in the Antenna Chart and you can see which DIY antenna has the same or similar performance. My guess is that a DBGH will be necessary.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in