ON/MI - Windsor, Detroit, Sarnia, Leamington, Chatham - OTA - Page 40 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #586 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 04:29 PM
Veteran

What if you got a direction VHF antenna peaked for RF 8, pointed towards Cleveland, and then somehow nulled the signal that is to the northwest of Detroit? Maybe stampeder has an idea of what brand to look at and how to null it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #587 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 05:34 PM

WPXD missing from both 31.1 and 48 (between 3:00 and 4:30 edt). Moving time, bankruptcy or technical difficulties ?

Oops, spoke to soon, it's back (4:40 edt)
post #588 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 05:57 PM
Veteran

Darn, was hoping the answer was moving time

post #589 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil81 View Post
A decent vhf antenna would pull in 23-1 especially the closer to Windsor one might be.

I checked again at noon today and nothing from WJW. WUDT-LP was indeed still there when pointing NW to Detroit though barely (1 bar). I guess this is the new reality now... no more Fox 8 from Cleveland anymore.
Hey,

I'm picking up this WUDT you're talking about on RF8.... I'm pointed at Toledo (SW) and still picking up WUDT with a solid signal around 30%. This sucks for sure... doesn't look like any programming that i'll be watching. Read this on the wiki link for WUDT:

"The station applied for a license to operate digitally on VHF channel 8. The application was filed and a construction permit was granted on October 10, 2007 and it expires on October 11, 2010.[5]. WUDT's digital signal would be between the digital signals of WJBK-TV on channel 7 and CBET on channel 9, which could cause some interference. This may also cause interference with Cleveland's WJW in the southeastern areas of Essex County, which has its digital signal on channel 8 as well."

Antennacraft HBU33, Antennacraft 10G201 preamp, Samsung PN50A650 Plasma, Samsung LN40B540 LCD.
post #590 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 10:11 PM

IMO, WUDT-lp would be better served in the metro Detroit area if they used their old channel 23 for digital operations at 15kW which is what the maximum FCC top limit is on LP uhf stations. Many more could get daystar's signal reliably compared to channel 8.
post #591 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 10:29 PM
Veteran

Well that is the argument for ANY channel that is broadcasting VHF... I just don't get why they didn't phase VHF out completly with the transition... sigh...
post #592 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-04-05, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebowgm View Post
Well that is the argument for ANY channel that is broadcasting VHF... I just don't get why they didn't phase VHF out completly with the transition... sigh...
Not completely phasing out VHF was a good idea IMO.... i mean it gives more frequencies available for OTA transmission, which hopefully spreads around the stations better, which in the end benefits us being able to pickup more stations, having less co-channel interference.... with less band available, they'd have to allocate the same RF frequencies to stations that would be potentially closer together, thus creating co-channel interference.

Antennacraft HBU33, Antennacraft 10G201 preamp, Samsung PN50A650 Plasma, Samsung LN40B540 LCD.
post #593 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-04-06, 12:04 AM
Veteran

Its an argument for a different thread but to me, since digital all but eliminates co-channel, and the fact that we have seen VHF Digital not work so well in many markets, and for many consumers a VHF/UHF combo is not realistic, just having one standard would have made more sense. Freeing up VHF completly I am sure could had lead to $ being made, especially if it meant keeping a bit more of the higher UHF channels.
post #594 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-04-06, 10:48 AM
Rookie

Reference to post 580

Ok, hope I've done this right, here is my results from tv Foolhttp://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b7c8841b95fcc4
post #595 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-04-06, 01:53 PM
Veteran

Looks like you're in pretty good shape to receive the networks out of Detroit, and Canadian channels from Oil Springs and London.

A very general rule of thumb is if your noise margin (NM) is greater than 0 dB, you should be able to receive that channel (all else being equal). Sometimes you'll be able to receive channels with an NM less than 0 dB but they won't be consistent.
post #596 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-04-07, 11:30 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the help, it's very much appreciated.

From what I can gather the 4228HD and cm7777 preamp should have me up and running on Detroit uhf and Fox vhf.

It's fun taking the plunge on something new.
post #597 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-04-08, 09:37 AM
Veteran

UHF channels shouldn't be a problem with the 4228HD but VHF might be more difficult. The antenna is designed for UHF but happens to have some VHF-hi capability.

Worst case you'll need to get a VHF-only antenna as well to catch Fox Detroit.

The pre-amp is set up for either independent feeds or a combined feed so you're good to go there.
post #598 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-04-14, 01:58 AM
Rookie

also having trouble picking up fox

i live in windsor and have just a normal antenna sitting on my shelf. can get every channel i need (main detroit stations) but no fox - is the digital channel 7 or 2.1 I really don't want to buy another antenna just to get this channel

is it my bunny ears - do i need a stronger one

thanks
post #599 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-04-14, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower_petals View Post
i live in windsor and have just a normal antenna sitting on my shelf. can get every channel i need (main detroit stations) but no fox - is the digital channel 7 or 2.1 I really don't want to buy another antenna just to get this channel

is it my bunny ears - do i need a stronger one

thanks
Hey there,

Fox Detroit is on RF7, and its virtual channel is 2-1. You should be able to pick it up no problem. RF7 is VHF, so if your antenna on the shelf is a typical rabbit ears antenna you want to play around with the long rabbit ears and not the loop. On RF7, if you use the calculation to make a single wavelength for RF7 you need one single dipole of 84cm the last time i calculated. (I had this exact same problem a year ago when i had a basic setup) So if you take your antenna, lay it flat, and make the overall length of the two sides combined around 84 cm (42cm each or so) you should pick it up. Aim the aintenna perpendicular to the tower... so in windsor you're pointing NW geneally. See if that does the trick.

Like i said, i had this same problem last year. I had a basic bowtie antenna and the bowties weren't long enough, so i made a single dipole of that length out of coat hanger and hooked it up and voila, perfect signal just holding it in my living room.

If you look up "dipole antenna" on wikipedia it gives a pretty good explanation. Thats why on vhf antennas you see several dipoles (just pieces of metal) of all different lengths, in order to pickup all the different frequencies available.

post #600 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2010-04-15, 12:13 AM
Rookie

thanks for the suggestion

this was really bugging me - i will not be satisfied until i get it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in