ON/MI - Windsor, Detroit, Sarnia, Leamington, Chatham - OTA - Page 34 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #496 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2009-10-27, 02:45 AM

Great stuff DigitalRocks,

Okay I spoke too soon on WUAB and WOIO. Unlike earlier tonight when WOIO was at 1 bar and pixelating, it is now jumpy and unstable and doing it at 3-4. Wierd. Maybe CFPL-10 is messing with it as I can see a very faint b/w picture on 10-0. I guess my results are fair-good considering CBS Cleveland is only operating at 9.5kW ERP directional with only around 1.3kW sent in this direction because of their null.

WUAB is now pretty much gone all together too. I hope this is tropo messing with things and not what i have to expect come winter. It's like minutes from great signal to then none at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2009-10-27, 04:15 AM

phil, it could also be WILX-DT interfering... it and WOIO-DT are co-channel on 10...
post #498 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2009-10-27, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingtailedFox View Post
phil, it could also be WILX-DT interfering... it and WOIO-DT are co-channel on 10...
Yeah its more then likely due to WILX from Lansing... it was one of the stations coming in pretty good last night for me.

I managed to pickup at one time all the 'mid michigan' stations:
WLNS-DT (6-1 CBS), WSYM-DT (47-1 FOX), WLAJ-DT (53-1 ABC), WILX-DT (10-1 NBC).

I also pulled in for the 1st time NBC from Flint WEYI-DT 25-1. At one time last night I was able to pull in NBC from 5 different markets! Cleveland, Toledo, Lansing, Flint & Detroit. I pulled in a few more but i gotta run to work i'll get back later

post #499 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2009-10-27, 12:46 PM

that's just over-kill :P
post #500 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2009-10-27, 07:34 PM
Rookie

HI there guys ..... I just have a quick question..... When you all talk about getting more channels, are you rescanning all the time... How often do you rescan and how do you search for more channels .... Do you scan than move the rotor a bit and rescan.... This is all new to me and I would like to see what I am actually able to get in.....
post #501 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2009-10-27, 08:16 PM

i tend to rescan every few nights, or whenever the sky gets very clear and the air is warm (indicating potentially good conditions for tropo to bring in distant channels).
post #502 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2009-10-27, 11:15 PM
Veteran

Any good DXing tonight? I wasn't around last night to catch the good finds...

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-10-28 at 02:40 AM.
post #503 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2009-10-28, 01:15 AM
Veteran

Digitalrocks,

Based on your current location in East Windsor, what are you pulling in constantly vs. sometimes vs. tropo only (I know you said it before, but I cant find it).
post #504 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2009-10-28, 02:30 AM

Pretty much all Detroit & Toledo. The one that is difficult to get is WUPW from Toledo for me.... I get a few Clevelands at night lately, which will probably be gone in winter I assume. All these other channels i've posted lately are scarce and only pop up during tropo. I'll post my entire channel lineup and thier strengths sometime, its late and i'm out.
post #505 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2009-10-28, 02:46 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalRocks View Post
I know he's selling the hbu-33 model I have for $110 he quoted me at a month ago, but i got it off kajiji for $85... some guy had a ton of them selling them out of his house, great buy for that price. The hbu44 i am not sure, i think lighthouse has them for $150 or so, maybe a bit less. My channels are posted a few pages back in this thread, you'll see them.

Pretty much all Detroit & Toledo. The ones that are difficult to get are WUPW from Toledo for me.... I get a few Clevelands at night lately, which will probably be gone in winter I assume. All these other channels i've posted lately are scarce and only pop up during tropo. I'll post my entire channel lineup and thier strengths sometime, its late and i'm out.
I know they are, I just couldn't find them. I assume you are pointed to the SW and have the antenna outside?

Unfortuantly, I am on the 3rd floor of a 4 floor building (which prevents me from using a good pipe to prop up the antenna) and I am situated on the NE side of the building. Obviously it is not ideal. Toledo would be the super choice for me although just getting ION and/or Flint would be satisfactory for me at this time.

On a different topic which I am sure will result in a negative answer (although I will ask it anyways), while I am sure there has been zero initative by CTV to convert //A\\ to ATSC format (I would assume that //A\\ Barrie - which in truth serves Toronto - would go live before Windsor would), has there been any word from CBC? I would think that there would perhaps be an economic insentive in the form that advertisers can no longer reach OTA viewers in Detroit who rely soley on ATSC broadcasts for TV channels and they no longer have an NTSC feed setup.
post #506 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2009-10-28, 02:46 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

A reminder that due to the Rules of the Forum the discussion of retail pricing and availability of OTA Gear in Ontario goes in this thread:

OTA: Ontario Parts, Sales, Service, Installers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
If you lose track of where your post
has gone, simply go to the DHC Quick Links menu and
pull down to "My Posts". Another method is to go to
one of your previous posts anywhere on the DHC site
and click on your own user name to the left to get
to the "Find More Posts By..." menu item

post #507 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2009-10-28, 04:31 AM

the CBC currently has no money to convert any more stations to digital. Many *large* centers like Quebec City, Winnipeg and Halifax (all over 300,000) don't even have digital transmitters for their CBC affiliates. Sure, windsor would be a logical choice, because its CBC station (CBET) serves 5 million more people in Detroit and Toledo...

no news so far on when/if CHWI-TV-60 will convert to digital and move to 25...

i'm surprised you're picking up the cleveland stations during the night fairly consistently all the way in forest glade. that's over 100 miles o.o
post #508 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2009-10-28, 11:39 AM

Windsor Stations in MI - Ann Arbor?

Hello, I've new today to the forum and am looking for some advice on signal strength of CDN stations broadcasting in the Windsor area. We've moved to Ann Arbor -- so I'm about 60 km almost due west from Windsor -- and currently get very fuzzy reception of CBC 9 analogue with a rather dilapidated looking rotor-mounted roof-top antenna that we inherited from the people we bought our house from.

I'm wondering if I invest in a better antenna if I'll get a) better reception and b) any more Canadian stations in? CTV and TVO would be nice.

Thanks for the help!
post #509 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2009-10-28, 02:38 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi DTA2, the first thing to do is run your TVFool report - see Post #10 in the OTA FAQ for step-by-step instructions and then post your results here so that we can analyze your situation.

post #510 of 1451 (permalink) Old 2009-10-28, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah its more then likely due to WILX from Lansing... it was one of the stations coming in pretty good last night for me.
Canadian analogs are a much bigger concern based on my observations over the past year. Strong local analogs on 16,22,9 and even tropo channels comming in (eg:CFPL 10), are the main cause of American digitals on 8,10,15,17,21,23 suffering from adj analog interference. 15, 21 and 23 seem to be the worst affected.

I rarely see WILX-DT as CFPL 10 is a very strong station and appears very often. If all Canadian stations went digital this likely be eliminated. You can see this phenomenon as good signal well above the weak/pixellation/dropout point on your tuner but the digital(s) still pixellate (SNR problems). Even last night on WEWS 15 I had signal up to the 8/10 range and still I had moderate glitches. Some nights are better but lately it's just been getting worse and worse.

Die already local analogs, die!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in