AB - Calgary, Lethbridge, Southern Alberta - OTA - Page 93 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1381 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2017-08-28, 05:33 PM

Thank you for all the information. I had another question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73
You will need a rotator.
I would like to avoid the rotator, if possible. If I purchase another antenna to point to the west, could I use an Antenna Direct DB4e. I would like to get channel 46 more constantly than I use to get it.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2017-08-28, 10:47 PM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
If I purchase another antenna to point to the west, could I use an Antenna Direct DB4e.
That has a good chance of working, but it would also need a preamp.

Combining the two UHF antennas with a splitter in reverse before the preamp might not work. If it doesn't, you would need a second preamp for the DB4e and two coax lines. After the power inserters down below you can use an A/B switch to select which antenna to use. If your TV isn't able to add a channel after scan, you will need to rescan after changing antennas.

An alternate solution would be to connect the main antenna to the antenna input of the TV, and connect the DB4e to a separate tuner with its output connected to the TV aux input.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #1383 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2018-09-16, 05:26 PM

Pre-Amp Failing

After a year of working great with the new Antenna Direct DB8e and the Blonder-Tongue Galaxy III pre-amp, the pre-amp is failing. I have took apart the pre-amp and identified that the solder on the coaxial output was cracked. I have re-soldered the connection multiple times and have got it working again, only to have it fail again in 3-5 days. I guess my soldering skills have faded with age.

Anyways I am looking for a little advise on what to replace it with. Looks like the Blonder-Tongue Galaxy III has a gain of 20db with a noise figure of 3.3db in the UHF band. Looks like the Channel Master 7778HD might be closes in spec to the old one, and also give me the option using the VHF antenna to get the channels to the west if I ever need to again. Also was looking at the Antenna Direct Juice as it close to the same specs. Plus the Channel Master 7778 with a little lower gain, and the Channel Master 7777 with a lot higher gain.

TV Fool report
TV Fool

Thanks

post #1384 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2018-09-17, 12:18 PM

Lost Global OTA in Calgary

I have an antennae installed in my attic which has been grabbing the OTA broadcasts in Calgary without any issues for a few years. Within the the few months Global has disappeared. All other stations are fine. I even tried another antennae. I've tried scanning for channels using multiple apps.

Is anyone aware of any changes relative to Global's tower or signal? Any help would be appreciated.
post #1385 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2019-06-09, 11:16 PM
Rookie

Hello there everyone. I am learning a lot from reading all the great information on this site. I have recently decided to cut the cord and get rid of cable, just couldn't justify the cost anymore. We are relying on Netflix for our tv entertainment, and I recently got an OTA antenna to pick up local Calgary stations. I really enjoy the picture quality, seems to be clearer than I had with cable, but I seem to be getting a lot of fluctuations in signal strength. I have had signals go from 100% down to nothing then back up again sometimes causing breakups in picture. Is this normal or am I getting some sort of interference? My antenna is currently in the attic so could that be an issue? I've tried two different spots but interference continues. I'm hoping some one would have advice as to what is happening. Tv fool says signals are strong in Strathmore.
post #1386 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2019-06-11, 01:45 AM

I think you would do much better with an outside antenna.
There much easier to aim for the sweet spot.
Global would be the furthest away from you so I would aim for that for the highest signal strength
and tweek from there.
You want a balance of signal strength for all the channels you plan to watch.
If you don’t have a balance of signal strength you will get drop outs.
Interference could be an issue ,take note when you get a signal drop if there is any electric device that just turned on around your house.
I once had a neighbour with an old microwave oven that would interfere with my Satellite signal.
The seal was gone on it and it was leaking microwaves, it took a bit of convincing them that it was bad for there health.
Good luck.

Last edited by Romany; 2019-06-11 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Updated info
post #1387 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2019-06-19, 11:29 PM
Rookie

Yes I have a Channel Master CM 4221 HSD and after years of HD great reception, I am no longer able to get Global Calgary 2&7 is there something that has changed?
Any one can fill me in on the going on's I'd appreciate it
post #1388 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2019-07-04, 12:21 AM
Rookie

Hi postman56. Nothing has changed. I am picking up Global no problem in Strathmore at 100% signal strength. Is your antenna outside? Maybe it's out of adjustment from wind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in