AB - Calgary, Lethbridge, Southern Alberta - OTA - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2006-12-21, 04:08 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

New Calgary, Edmonton OTA Stations seen in IC Database

I just ran my Industry Canada database data pump to update the Listings of Canadian OTA Televison Stations web page and the Alberta list now contains some new IC-approved OTA slots for Calgary and Edmonton.

I assume IC provided them because Vancouver's M Channel wants to expand to those cities. Just my guess.

The other additions for Calgary and Edmonton seem to be repeaters for Red Deer's CH affiliate, CHCA (the former CKRD).

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...a_TV_Stations/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2006-12-28, 10:40 PM
Veteran

The Miracle Channel, Crossroads (CTS) and Rogers (Omni) have also applied for applications for a broadcast station in Edmonton and Calgary.
post #18 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2007-04-18, 12:40 AM

Arrow Calgary OTA HD

I've been looking all over for information regarding calgary OTA HD channels and I can't seem to get a definite answer to weather or not I can get it here in cow town. I have an antenna, a TERK that I got from london drugs and a atsc tuner equiped hdtv.

All I want to know if either yes there is ota hd channels in calgary or no there is not.

If there isn't when can I expect some.

Thanks A TON!

post #19 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2007-04-18, 01:11 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
There are no OTA HD channels in Calgary. It may be years before there are many, although one or two could spring up in the meantime. I've moved your post into this thread, you may wish to check information earlier in it.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #20 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2007-04-18, 02:54 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Digital OTA in Canada is presently viewable in the Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Windsor, Sault Ste. Marie, and Vancouver areas, with Winnipeggers trying hard to get North Dakota DTV stations.

The CRTC held hearings this past November on the future of Digital TV (DTV) in Canada, and insiders suggest that a decision or statement will be coming forward in November of this year.

For now, Calgary is not about to get its first DTV station any time soon. If the green light is given by the CRTC to cut off analogue TV by a certain date in favour of DTV, the networks will need probably a couple of years to get caught up, so Calgarians might still have to wait.

Please click on these links to get more info:

post #21 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2007-05-06, 09:15 AM

Alberta OTA HD? (plus some other questions)

Does Alberta have OTA signals? I've been wondering this because in my TV Guide for my town (Lethbridge, just 2 hours south of Calgary), whenever there is a primetime show on (I have Shaw Classic Cable) it says:

i.e. 3 - CTV (7:00 p.m.) - LOST (HDTV)

or

i.e. 9 - GLOBAL (10:00 p.m.) - HEROES (HDTV)

(crude representation, but nonetheless)

Why does it say HDTV? Does that mean it is broadcasted in HDTV OTA(only the local channels have these kind of labels i notice)

If that is the case...

I'm using a small indoor antenna, amplified 32dbi Philips brand. Cheap, just wanted to see if this would work. Well, Lethbridge isn't that big across, I'm pretty sure I'm in range of a signal tower somewhere.

I have an LG 42PC3D Plasma HDTV. My cable output is through a coaxial cable (regular kind) and my antenna (which says, on the box, designed for HDTV broadcasts) is hooked up to the little input (same as the cable one) that says "Antenna IN".

There are about 4 different TV inputs

CATV: Cable TV (this is my regular TV for watching)

TV: Analog Antenna (I get like 6 channels, the two that are past channel 14 are kinda in crappy reception)

DTV: I don't know what this is, I think it's Digital Antenna though...

CADTV: Digital cable, I don't have this anyway.

Which one am I looking for? Do I wait for a show that is broadcasted in HD first, (like Heroes) and then do an EZ Scan for DTV channels? I haven't gotten a channel yet, but it's only been like 2 days since I got it. I tried getting a hockey game on CBC in HD, but I didn't get any DTV channels.

Any help?
post #22 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2007-05-06, 10:34 AM
Veteran

CTV is only broadcasting in HD OTA in Toronto and Vancouver.You should be able to get HD signals from your cable company .Contact them to get an HD cable box and how much extra HD service is.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
post #23 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2007-05-06, 03:20 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

pamplemousse, I've moved your post into the thread covering Alberta, so have a look from the first post onwards for more info on your area. Also click on these links to get important info regarding your questions:

post #24 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2007-05-07, 10:01 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamplemousse
I tried getting a hockey game on CBC in HD, but I didn't get any DTV channels.
CBC-E is only broadcasting digitally in Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. I would guess that Calgary and Edmonton would be next on their list (assuming all goes well with the CRTC's review), but nothing has been announced yet, so it will probably be a couple years before they will be on the air.
post #25 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2007-05-20, 06:17 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I wouldn't hold your breath. It could be many years before you get a significant number of HD channels there.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63969

By significant, I mean more than 3-4. If you want HD there, you'll need to go with Shaw, Bell ExpressVU or StarChoice.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #26 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2007-07-20, 10:53 AM

CH OTA launches in Calgary (also testing in Edmonton)

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/No.../pb2007-84.htm

It seems that Global will have to delay launch of CHCA in Calgary and Edmonton.

Quote:
CanWest advises that due to recent uncertainty caused by announced and/or approved ownership transactions, access to the tower originally approved has proven to be problematic. It states that in the meanwhile, it will continue to negotiate diligently and that the request for the temporary operation is for a period not to exceed one year from the date of Decision 2007-168, approving the new transmitter.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #27 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2007-08-26, 09:35 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
It could be many years before you get a significant number of HD channels there.
Just to be clear, by many years, 57 means up to 4. In August 2011 almost all stations in Canada will have to transition to digital broadcasting.
post #28 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2007-08-28, 08:04 PM

Thumbs up

Now broadcasting on UHF 44 in Calgary
post #29 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2007-08-28, 10:28 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Too bad its in NTSC analogue. They're broadcasting from CFCN's tower on Signal Hill with an ERP of 79kW at a height of 206 meters, which is 18 meters higher than CFCN's.

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...a_TV_Stations/

CH is supposed to be bringing up an identical station in Edmonton on channel 17 with an ERP of 92kW. Anyone know if it has come up yet?

post #30 of 1388 (permalink) Old 2007-08-29, 08:01 PM

Quote:
at a height of 206 meters
Any idea how they measure that? I know the new tower isn't any where near that tall and I doubt the old one was either. Besides didn't they take the old one down? Is this measured from some where down town?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in