BC - Victoria, The Island, Sunshine Coast, BC Interior, BC North - OTA - Page 53 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #781 of 786 (permalink) Old 2018-08-04, 06:15 PM

Location: Brookswood area, Langley, BC - Clearstream v1 antenna with HDHomerun DVR
It may not work in the end, given your obstacles. It is designed for distance and obstacles but is only a remote possibility that it would work, given your lack of success with your current antenna.

Likely the best hope is to find a signal bounce of a tall building.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 786 (permalink) Old 2018-08-05, 12:29 PM

Location: Brookswood area, Langley, BC - Clearstream v1 antenna with HDHomerun DVR
One other possibility is you may have a multi-path situation, where the signal reaches your antenna from two different paths (one direct and one reflected off an object like a building). I would be tempted to try a more directional antenna focused on the Vancouver station.

Possibly this one: https://goo.gl/og5KDC

I have not tried this one, but have acquaintances that have reported high rates of success for getting distant stations.

KR

Last edited by keithr386; 2018-08-05 at 03:38 PM.
post #783 of 786 (permalink) Old 2018-08-07, 06:43 PM
Rookie

Keith,
I had a look at the FB group you linked to. Sure looks like a lot of discussions of streaming services and not much on OTA. It also seems to be a pretty geographically diverse group so while I think I'll follow it I don't think I'll post my specific question.
I am, however going to look for a directional antenna to try before I give up.
Thanks again.

post #784 of 786 (permalink) Old 2018-08-07, 07:28 PM

There is actually a fair bit of OTA chatter. If you put your TV Fool up there, you will get a lot of response.

THat being said, I took a look at your approximate area. If you are down near the intersection of Millstream and Harrington, it does not look at all likely. If you are up the hill a bit (like near the Bear Mountain Parkway and River Crossing Roundabout), you have a shot with your antenna.

Keith R
post #785 of 786 (permalink) Old 2018-08-08, 01:27 PM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrh View Post
Before I give up! .....I am now trying to get things set up but am having terrible results.
tvfool report: TV Fool

antenna: Antennas Direct Clear Stream 4 connected to an HDTV tuner
mount: outside on a 2nd floor balcony
When I aim the antenna to about 135 degrees I get about 30 channels, mostly from Washington state. However, no matter where I put it I can't get any of the Vancouver stations.

For this experiment to be a success I really need to be able to grab all of the US affiliates (abc,cbs,nbc,fox & pbs) as well as the Canadian networks (city, cbc, ctv, global).
Any successions before I put my antennas up for sale would be greatly appreciated.
It will be difficult to receive the Seattle channels. You will be able to receive a few with the help of Tropospheric Propagation, but that will be less frequent in the winter.

Using the TVFool Interactive map, the green signal lines from Seattle don't show until the antenna height is 100 feet:

and your report looks much better at 100 feet, but that is an unrealistic height

You will notice that CBUT doesn't get much better.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 2018-08-08 at 01:46 PM.
post #786 of 786 (permalink) Old 2018-08-08, 01:38 PM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrh View Post
I am, however going to look for a directional antenna to try before I give up.
Thanks again.
This is the terrain profile between Seattle and your location:

A high gain UHF yagi antenna and a preamp might improve your chances. If you need a VHF-High Seattle channel, you would need a separate VHF antenna like the Stellar Labs 30-2476, or a UHF/VHF combo antenna like the Winegard HD7698P.

Quote:
However, no matter where I put it I can't get any of the Vancouver stations.
This shows why Vancouver channels are difficult to receive at your location:

Again, a high gain UHF Yagi antenna and a preamp might help. Since you are directly behind a mountain, the Antennas Direct 91XG or the Solid Signal HDB91X can tilt the front end up a little to catch the signal coming down from the peak; this often helps.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 2018-08-08 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in