Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

QC - South Shore, Eastern Townships, Northern NY and VT

Tags
antenna
214K views 776 replies 169 participants last post by  Yagi 
#1 ·
CBC and SRC comes from the CBC building's rooftop. Here in Greenfield Park it comes in a 95% on both. WCFE comes in at 75%

#104 ·
well, finally i got a 4228. i installed on the weekend but i'm just getting
src 2.1
nbc 5.1
cbc 6.1
pbs 57.1
nothing else
what could possibly be the problem?
i believe fox and cbs are on mt. mansfield as well, so why am i not getting them?
antenna is at 20' and i running a 100' cable.
1: RG6 Cable?
2: Connector? If you made them your self are you sure they really good.
3: 100' cable is a lot without a pre-amp.
4: Do you have a Splitter?

Possible solution:

1:Check your Connecter.
2:Install a Pre-Amp or Install a Amp has close has you can to the antenna.

#105 ·
1: RG6U (i dont know what this U means). bought it at vox-master.
2: not too happy with the connector a made myself. it's one on those screw-in connectors.
3: yes, a 100' not pre-amp.
4: no, no splitter.

so, you think i should redo the connectors and probably get a pre-amp?
should i try rising up the antenna? or, since i'm getting 5.1 (nbc) it is an ok height.

#109 ·
well, i bought the connectors and plier. now my connectors look the best i've ever seen, but still same situation. no signal for 3, 33, and 44. just getting 2, 5, and 6.
Do you have 0% signal or just can't lock?

How is analog 33 and 22 (You can also use those to adjust your antenna.)
How is analog 52 and 49? (If anything)
What is the signal strength for 57.1?

Option:
Raise the antenna if you can.
You could also try different location for your antenna.
100' of cable is alot Install a pre-amp or install a 10 db amp has close has possible to the attenna.
Double check the connection of the Balun.

#111 ·
what should be better, the pre-amp or amp?
pre-amp (Not to powerfull to avoid overload).

i tried tvfool with differents heights and it comes out to pretty much the same thing.
Real life is different than tvfool (tvfool give a good idea but it's not perfect). Moving an antenna Right Left up and down of just a few feet often make a difference, there's hot spots and cold spots.

#116 ·
Ormstown (southern Quebec)

We live in Ormstown (southwestern Quebec) near the US border and have had a tower antenna for many years. Last week we bought a HD digital TV. Yesterday we were finally able to figure out how to scan for digital channels. We found only US channels, even though we are only 50km from Montreal. When I checked the CBC website I noted that they have a digital section and that apprears to be available only to satelite or cable customers. Question: Is there really no CBC or CTV signal OTA in digital format? If there is, what are we doing wrong?

We have a 50ft tower that used to be a CB tower years ago. We got a new antenna last year (don't know the make but it is ordinary looking) when the old one got fryed in a lightning bolt. We have a Channel Master Spartan 3 booster. Here are the US channels digital and HD channels that we get:

WFFF-HD
WFFF-DT
WCFE-HD
WCFE-D1
WCFE-D2
WCAX-HD
WCAXTRA (weather station)
WPTZ-HD
WPTZ-WX
WVNY-HD
VPT-HD
VPT-2
VPT-3
VPT-4
and WVNY-DT which is just a rainbow bar call signal

So with all these fabulous channels (especially the high quality HD) available from our antenna, you'd think that we would be able to get CBC or CTV in digital.

Do these Canadian channels have any restriction on transmitting digital signals (contracts with cable and satelite companies), or are they just "behind the times"?

#117 ·
Montreal DT stations

Here are the only Montreal DT stations currently on air. All are low powered, and their transmitters are are not located on Mt. Royal

19 - CBFT-DT (SRC)
20 - CBMT-DT (CBC)
42 - CFJP-DT (TQS)

Also to note, I don't get any of them either. All the DT channels I get are from the US side of the border.

Nice, eh!

#118 ·
Hi Joybell. We have other posters in this thread from your area so have a look through it for their info.

From 50km south of Montreal if you want to get both U.S. and Montreal stations you will need either:
  • an antenna with a figure eight reception pattern that receives from both directions north and south
  • one antenna on a rotor
  • two antennas (one pointed north joined by one pointed south)
  • one omnidirectional (UFO-style) antenna if it can get the Montreal stations

#121 ·
Yes, it is a combo. No, it doesn't show signal strength when it is scanning for signals. I have already read the manual (not very big) and didn't find anything there where I could check the signal strength. From reading some of the other posts in other sections here, and from surfing the net, I'm beginning to think that there are no "significant" OTA digital or HD signals from any of the Canadian networks.

#122 ·
St-Hubert (south of Tashereau and west of the 116)

Just to correct that last statement about Laval...

Until February, I had an dwelling just west of the 15 north between Salaberry and Gouin wich is on the island with a leg in Laval.

I was on the second floor and had a window facing the right direction. When RC started emitting on 19, I bought a Silver Sensor and could receive them with 75-80% strength.

Anyway, I moved in February to St-Hubert (south of Tashereau and west of the 116). Using the same antenna, I get the same channels (19, 20 & 42) but with 5-10% less signal.

I'll install the DB4 I just bought on the chimney this spring. :)

#123 ·
Dunham, Quebec near VT border

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out this OTA stuff. OK....I live in Dunham, Quebec...about 20 minutes drive to the Enosburg, Vt border. I'm about 57 miles away from Mt. Mansfield. I've had a roof top antenna UHF/VHF for over 2 decades. At the moment, I get the following channels via analog signal.

WPTZ Channel 5
WCAX Channel 3
WCFE Channel 57
WFFF Channel 44
Global Channel 46
CTV Channel 12
TQS Channel 35
TVA Channel 10, 7
SRC Channel 2, 9
CBC Channel 6
E Channel 62
Tele Quebec Channel 17

ABC has never really come in at all

I purchased a Hisense digital converter from EBAY and set it up. When I did a scan I was able to get
WCFE (3 channels)
WETK (4 channels)
CBC
SRC
TQS

However, I can't get WPTZ, WCAX, or WFFF. Why??????

I had a technician come over last week to check my antenna. He told me it was still in good condition, the wiring was fine, but I still can't capture my US stations via digital. I understand that these 3 are transmitting from Mt. Mansfield now. However, if I can get WCAX analog ...why not digital? I'm so confused and can't find anyone in the area that understands this digital switch. Can anyone give me suggestions? I really want to be ready for Feb 2009 and satellite is not an option. On the commercials they make it sound like this is going to be a trouble free switch...but this is not what I'm experiencing.

#124 ·
I think Dunham is in a Mt Mansfield reception 'hole', shaded by some mountains between you and Mt Mansfield.

You actually hae line of sight to Lyon Mountain, which is why WCFE analog and digital come in so well.

You can get WCAX 3 analog because VHF, and particularly low-band VHF (2-6) refract well around the crests of hills and into valleys, which UHF can barely do.

The signal locator function at www.TVFool.com only reports WCAX analog as receivable in Dunham. I'm surprised that you even get WETK digital (ch 32), if you don't get their analog on ch 33. You don't get WCAX-DT, because it broadcasts on digital channel 53. Next February, it will be switching to channel 22 once WVNY analog vacates that frequency, but that doesn't seem like it will be much help for you.

WFFF analog is on Terry Mountain near Peru NY, along with WPTZ analog, but as you know they're both transmitting digital from Mt Manafield.

TVl

#125 ·
Oh boy....

Thanks for the answers TVLurker. Wow....do you think that by adding height to my antenna tower I will have any luck catching the signals? At the moment I believe my tower is 40 to 50 ft. Is it possible that the digital signals are being sent out at lower power and that when the actual switch occurs the signal will be stronger and easier to receive? Do you know of any agreement with WPTZ that they can't aim their signal towards Sherbrooke because they would overpower their local stations? I can't accept the fact that I won't see WPTZ or WFFF anymore.....what's a gal to do?????

#127 ·
gadzooks40, there are better UHF yagi models than that, such as the Winegard PR9032 or Delhi CYD1470, but when it comes down to it there are no antennas of any kind that can see "around" hills and obstructions that kill the signal, as tvlurker has pointed out.

With bowtie reflector antennas we have the hope that they'll pick up scattered signals, but again if there is an obstruction we just have to test it out and see if there is signal.

Please click on these links in my signature to learn about antenna models:

#128 ·
Beloeil

I live in Beloeil and have a 40 ft tower and i have a regular VHF/UHF combo. I get Trois-rivieres ch 13 RC.

So I guess It would be impossible to get ABC 22 Digital 13 even with a 10Y13s pointed directly at it??

Also I want to purchase 2 Wingard HD-9032 one at Mt-Mansfield and Lyon Mt.
I think the weight of the 9032 is lighter a 4228?

I don't want to put too much weight or wind resistance on my tower.

Thanks,

intravino

#136 ·
I live in Beloeil and have a 40 ft tower and i have a regular VHF/UHF combo. I get Trois-rivieres ch 13 RC.

So I guess It would be impossible to get ABC 22 Digital 13 even with a 10Y13s pointed directly at it??
intravino
Back in the early 80s when I had a Radio Shack rooftop antenna when I lived in Longueuil, sometimes I could get both channel 8s from CJOH in Cornwall and WMTW from their Mt Washington transmitter in New Hampshire depending on which way I pointed the antenna.