Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

ON - City of Toronto Metro Area <OUTDOOR Antennas Only> - OTA

765K views 3K replies 541 participants last post by  majortom 
#1 ·
Hi All. First post on the forum but have been researching the OTA digital issue for over a year with the benefit of this forums discussions. My reception is similar to T Shirt Ninja's:

This is my setup:
Receiver: Samsung SIR T451
Antenna: Rat Shack Roof Mounted Yagi / Mast mounted pre-amp with Channel Master remote control rotator

Channels:

4-1, 4-2, 4-3 WIVB: CBS / Weather Doppler / UPN (Stable)
7-1, 7-2 WKBW: ABC (Stable)
23-1, 23-2, 23-3, WIVB: CBS / Weather Doppler / UPN (Stable)
29-1, 29-2, 29-3 WUTV: FOX (Stable)
33-1 WGRZ: NBC (Stable)
43-1, 43-2, 43-3 WNED: PBS (Stable)
53-1 CITY (Unstable - Many Dropouts)
66-1 TORONTO 1 (Stable)

For those who care my analog reception is also as follows:

2 - NBC WGRZ (Watchable but some snow)
3 - CKVR (Clear)
5 - CBC CBLT (Clear)
7 - ABC (Watchable but some snow)
9 - CTV CFTO (Clear)
11 - CHCH (Clear)
17 - PBS (Clear)
19 - TVO (Clear)
23 - UPN (Clear)
25 - CBC French (Clear)
26 - Christian Station (Clear)
29 - Fox (Clear)
36 - CTS (Clear)
41 - Global (Clear)
47 - Omni 1 (Clear)
49 - WB (Clear)
52 - Toronto 1 (Clear)
57 - City TV (Clear)
69 - Omni 2 (Clear)

Considering everything I've been reading on this forum and other research I've been doing I think I'm pretty much picking up most of the OTA digital or analog that is out there to be had (reasonably). I know the analog doesn't compare to the digital OTA but I don't watch much TV, mostly DVD's so the digital plus analog OTA TV is more than enough for me. Oh yeah, not paying a monthly fee to watch basic TV is more than fine with me.

Thanks to you all for the information. Great Forum!

See less See more
#2 ·
Toronto: Yonge & Shuter

I live in Downtown Toronto, Younge and Shuter, in a basment appartment, i ran a wire out a vent and set a pole up on the groung... put a RCA antena up.

Here are Results:

Antenna: RCA Amplified HDTV Compativle Outdoor Antena

Receiver: Panasonic ASCT Tuner - VERY LARGE and VERY OLD

I get:

CBC on Channel 5-1 (Stable)
CBS on Channel 23-1 (Very Stable)
UPN on Channel 23-2 (Very Stable)
FOXHD on Channel 29-1 (very stable)
FOXSD on Channel 29-2 (Very Stable)
PBSSD on channel 43-1 (stable)
PBSHD on channel 43-2 (Stable)
PBSthink on channel 43-3 (stable)
Toronto 1 on 66-1 (unstable somtimes)

I cant get ABC, WB or City TV for some reason.

In OTTAWA i used to get:

CBC Test Feed on 66-1
PBS from Watertown on 16=1

#3 ·
CTV Toronto Remapped

Ah, CTV remapped! Haha, how are we supposed to keep up with this stuff? Thanks for the tip Johnnysmoke. Just wondering if there is anything else that I'm missing. I've got the following:

2-1 NBC
4-1 CBS
5-1 CBC
7-1 ABC
9-1 CTV (used to have at 40-1)
23-1 UPN (showing CBS)
23-3 UPNSD
29-1 FOX
43-1? WNED
57-1 CITY
66-1 Toronto1

Anything anyone else in GTA is picking up? I know that WB is there, but apparently it's rediculously low power.

Thanks,

fish

#5 ·
Aiming Tip for CM4228s in eastern GTA areas

Yaamon said:
I a little puzzled why with your CM4228 you don't pull in City strong and steady compared the the little crap indoor that Iam currently using ?
I'm glad you asked him that because I was going to reply to that. :D

If Tom could levitate directly above his CM4228 and see its reception pattern he would see this:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/cm4228az.gif

Now, here's the problem that is probably happening. If you look at the minor lobes to the sides and rear its possible that one or more of the stations is falling into one of the low signal areas and not into a strong lobe. So, here's where aiming the antenna gets kind of funny - believe it or not he might need to aim his CM4228 to the EAST of Buffalo a shade in order to get a best-of-both-worlds signal with the CN Tower now on a good lobe. Also bear in mind that most of the Buffalo broadcast towers are indeed quite a bit east of Buffalo.

Tom mentioned he's not using a preamp, so if aiming doesn't solve this issue then a low gain preamp will. I would expect 100% on all channels with one, but just be careful about not getting too powerful a preamp in these circumstances.

I hope this helps come up with a solution.

#7 ·
I’m using a Winegard 9032 and I can esaly pinpoint the CN tower since this antenna is very directional. Digital 53 CITY, 20 CBC, 24 CBLFT are on the tower for sure… 66 for some reason is stronger when I turn my antenna about 5 degrees to the left of where the CN tower is. This makes me think that T1’s 66 is on another building like First Canadian Place.

#8 ·
Yonge and Sheppard in Toronto with west-facing balcony - OTA options?

Newbie here :p I'm thinking about cancelling my BEV and going with OTA programming. However, given that I'm in a condo I wasn't too sure whether this would work. I've done a quick search of the forum and noticed some people have tried this but never commented on their success. So, would it work for me if my balcony (small) faces west without a direct line of sight to the CN Tower. I'm located on the 26th floor at around Yonge and Sheppard in Toronto.

Thanks for all the help!!

#9 ·
Does your condo have a "Common antenna" installed on the roof?

I know some large buildings as such do have that and you would just have them change the cabling in the basement to hook into the common antenna. Then you'd probably get all the signals from everywhere :).

Something you may want to look into.

#10 ·
DC5 said:
would it work for me if my balcony (small) faces west without a direct line of sight to the CN Tower. I'm located on the 26th floor at around Yonge and Sheppard in Toronto.
Welcome here! If you could get the antenna pointed southbound and as far outwards on the balcony as possible you could easily use a small antenna like a 4-way bowtie (doesn't need to have a reflector mesh) and you'll get the Toronto DTV stations booming in. Chances are you'll get some of the Buffalo stations but they could be problematic for dropouts and pixellation without a southeast view so no guarantees of happiness there. The fact that you're 26 floors up bodes well for Buffalo stations even if you're on the west-facing side, as long as the antenna has good sensitivity. Here's hoping!

#11 ·
If you’re at Yonge and Sheppard and you can see the CN Tower then your looking South West and this is perfect!!!! The 4 bay antenna on the 26th floor will pull in Buffalo easily. Just point it towards the CN Tower.... Buffalo should line up behind the CN Tower... you're all set there DC5 :D

#12 ·
DC5 said:
Newbie here :p I'm thinking about cancelling my BEV and going with OTA programming. However, given that I'm in a condo I wasn't too sure whether this would work. I've done a quick search of the forum and noticed some people have tried this but never commented on their success. So, would it work for me if my balcony (small) faces west without a direct line of sight to the CN Tower. I'm located on the 26th floor at around Yonge and Sheppard in Toronto.

Thanks for all the help!!
A friend is located on the second floor of a condo building at Don Mills and Steeles, a few miles north and east of you. He's facing southwest, not south, and doesn't have a view of the CN Tower.

He has an HDTV Wonder and found that with the included tiny Silver Sensor antenna, he was able to get all the Toronto and Buffalo channels except WGRZ. The surprise was that he just put the Silver Sensor up against a window beside his computer and it worked pretty well.

He's getting a 4228 and is going to prop it up against the wall of the balcony, thinking that ought to solve the WGRZ problem.

There are restrictions against mounting antennas outside balconies in his building. I suggested that he paint the 4228 in non metallic white paint so that it would blend in with the wall. Or he could put Christmas ornaments on it and appear to be one of those lazy people with year around decorations ;->

#13 ·
stampeder - thanks for the welcome!! Sadly, I can not put an antenna on the balcony nor can I extend it out from the balcony :(

ryans - thanks for the idea, but I asked today and building management said the building does not have such a thing (again... :( )

HDTV101 - Sorry, but I can not see the CN Tower as my balcony faces west and there is a second phase which has been built just south of my balcony which completely blocks my view of the Tower

Nonetheless, thanks for all the suggestions!!

Does anybody know where I can borrow an ATSC tuner to test out to see if I can get any channels instead of me going out and buying one and potentially being disappointed?

#14 ·
Mid Town TO antenna position

Hi all,

I lived in mid town Toronto (Yonge and Eglinton) in the middle of a forest.....I am planning on putting an outdoor antenna but is limited to certain direction (i.e. I can't just stick it as high as I want and get direction).

So far having east exposure doesn't seem to do anything at all. The only one I have any luck is SW and it only picks up Toronto 1 and City HD.

I don't have a clear view of CN Tower and has to peek thru trees and buildings. Any advice ? I have resigned to the fact that I won't pick up anything from the states, but a strong CBC and CTV would make me a happy man.

My set-up is Samsung SIR-T415 and an RCA ANT711 Indoor/Outdoor Antenna.
I have to settle on the RCA since if I have any other "big ugly antenna" up besides my two Sat dish my wife and I would be in divorce court........

#16 ·
I can't really put it on a rotator...... I can probably mount in in any direction, just not on a pole on top of my roof. I am assumming that in order to get 360 you have to mount it high up........ i.e. The antenna sitting 5' from the ground on a pole is no good, right ?

The pictures on the RCA ANT711 has it mounted on the side of a house which is what I have in mind.....The question is which side has the most number of channels..... In reality, I would be happy with all the Cdn ones (CBC, City, CTV, Toronto1 and Global would be enough for me).

I saw another post here with an RCA ANT711 but he was on an apartment 27th floor up in the same locale......

I actually found a mounting point on my roof so it is going up on the roof and hopefully be able to see CN Tower and some US Signals........

#17 ·
From yonge & eglington you should be able to get everything from cn tower & 1st cdn place. If you live in a forest, that may be the problem. You can pick up scattered signals thru trees, but rain will make it much worse. Wet leaves are worse than brick walls to get signals thru.
You need more height. Try the roof top, even if its not on a pole. Higher is better. On DTV, you should get CITY, CBLT, CBLFT, CFTO & CKXT. CFMT & CIII coming soon, TVO someday...

#20 ·
Thanks everyone. Will try out a roof mount pointing straight south and see what happens......

For the record, my antenna is this "Star Wars"ish looking RCA ANT711. Not your best but definitely win some beauty contest among antennas. Just want to make sure that the wife is happy.

#21 ·
michaelC said:
Thanks everyone. Will try out a roof mount pointing straight south and see what happens......

For the record, my antenna is this "Star Wars"ish looking RCA ANT711. Not your best but definitely win some beauty contest among antennas. Just want to make sure that the wife is happy.
The RCA 711 should be able to get all the Toronto HD OTA channels.

Good luck.

#22 ·
Finally made it up to the roof and major bad news......Basically surrounded by trees and can't even see CN Tower. Anyway, got the following channels:

5 CBC
9 CTV
25 SRC
53 CityHD (weakest of all)
66 Toronto 1

Is this all the Toronto HD channels ? What about Global ? Is there even a Global HD ?

Bad news is nothing from the states....... Oh well. Should I try something else ? Like a "real" antenna on my chinney ? I am worry that even with my chinney I am not going to see downtown TO.......

#23 ·
michaelC said:
Finally made it up to the roof and major bad news......Basically surrounded by trees and can't even see CN Tower. Anyway, got the following channels:

5 CBC
9 CTV
25 SRC
53 CityHD (weakest of all)
66 Toronto 1

Is this all the Toronto HD channels ? What about Global ? Is there even a Global HD ?

Bad news is nothing from the states....... Oh well. Should I try something else ? Like a "real" antenna on my chinney ? I am worry that even with my chinney I am not going to see downtown TO.......
You are getting all you will get with that antenna.

GLOBAL does HD only on Cable/Satellite, and won't be OTA 'till next year.

#24 ·
Yup, that's all the Toronto DTV stations so far. Global and CFMT are licenced for Audust next year, but i've heard rumors they my start earlier. TVO will also go DTV someday.
I'm not familiar with your antenna, but with my CM 4228, i get all the buffalo stations from Ajax. I'd suggest trying a "real" antenna before you buy it. Maybe you could buy one but ask if you can return it, if it doesn't work?
Good Luck!

#25 ·
As Tom.F.1 says, and I agree, you are getting all you are able to get with that antenna.

You don't physically have to see the transmit site but have to have an antenna with proper forward gain and height to go the 50 to 85 miles for Buffalo. Your aim for the Buffalo channels from your location should be S.S.E.

#26 ·
Thanks guys..... Now I feel a little better........

I know about the CM.......Its just too big. Do you know if I would do any better with the US Channels or just general reception with the Winegard Square Shooter (either the non-amplified one or the amplified one) than my RCA ? I guess I just don't know if I need to see Lake Ontario to get any US stuff.......