ON - City of Toronto Metro Area <OUTDOOR Antennas Only> - OTA - Page 208 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #3106 of 3122 (permalink) Old 2018-05-21, 04:30 PM
Rookie

My last post got sent before cleaning it up, but the gist of it is there....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3107 of 3122 (permalink) Old 2018-05-22, 11:41 AM
Rookie

I see now that I can't edit or delete a post after 12 hours.
Picture of my version of the two antenna trick:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/album.php?albumid=2738
post #3108 of 3122 (permalink) Old 2019-05-18, 05:46 PM
HWP

Reception Results Toronto East York Greenwood Mortimer

Hello All,
I used to post here quite a lot but I haven't posted lately.
Our home still uses our antenna and I thought I'd post a current reception results report.
This is our everyday reception.

2.1 33 WGRZ NBC, Antenna TV, Justice TV, Quest
4.1 32 WIVB CBS, Court TV
5.1 20 CBLT CBC
7.1 38 WKBW ABC, Laff TV, Escape, GRIT
9.1 8 CFTO CTV
11.1 15 CHCH
17.1 43 WNED PBS, PBS Create, PBS Kids
19.1 19 CICA TVOntario
23.1 32 WNLO CW, Bounce
25.1 25 CBLFT Radio-Canada
26.1 26 WNYB TCT, Light TV
29.1 14 WUTV Fox, TBD, CHARGE!
35.1 35 CHCJ CTV Two
36.1 36 CITS Yes TV
39.1 29 WDTB Daystar
40.1 40 CJMT Omni 1
41.1 41 CIII Global
42.1 42 CKVP CTV Two
47.1 47 CFMT Omni 2
49.1 49 WNYO My TV Buffalo, Stadium TV, COMET, getTV
51.1 23 WPXJ ION, qubo, ION Life ION Shop, QVC, HSN
56.1 17 WBXZ Cozi TV, Retro TV, Jewelry TV, Throwback TV, Buzzr, SonLife SBN, Corner Store TV, QVC, Movies!, TUFF TV, Rev’n, NewsNet
57.1 44 CITY City TV
67.1 7 WBBZ Me-TV, H&I, Daystar

We have an antenna tower with a rotator and antenna-mounted pre-amp. We rarely need to move the rotator to get these channels.
If I feel like trying for other channels, if I move the rotator in other directions we can get more channels from Peterborough and Oshawa, etc. During certain times of the year it's easy to get channels from Rochester too.

OTA, Winegard HD7679 UHF&VHF-high Antenna, CM7778 pre-amp
CM Rotator, CM3218 Splitter, TiVo Premier, HDHomeRun

Last edited by HWP; 2019-05-18 at 09:59 PM.

post #3109 of 3122 (permalink) Old 2019-05-18, 08:44 PM

Thought I'd add my two-cents (if I had pennies).

We're near Bathurst Street. The CN Tower, 4 miles away, is on a straight line to Buffalo from our house. Reception around 7 PM has been interrupted a lot recently (still watchable) and seems related to air traffic we can hear. Oddly, sometimes Ch 4 CBS goes but more often Ch 17 (we love PBS).

We have a 15 yr old TV. We have no antenna amp but do use a distribution amp with maybe just a few db gain which counter-acts what would be splitter loss if we had splitters. Service is less interrupted and the interruptions are less noxious with the antenna going directly just to the TV. The signal strength may be the same but perhaps the distribution amp is being overwhelmed by the CN Tower signals or many sorts.

Download coax is 25 yrs old and like 50 feet long. Looks OK but maybe there's RF deterioration. Dunno. Antenna is familiar 2-bay DB4 (?).

Anybody have experience with external component tuners as an upgrade to the TV's tuner?

B.

midtown Toronto, DB4e, 60ft RG6, 8dB distr amp
FM: Sony STSA-50ES, Wine.6065, 40ft RG6
post #3110 of 3122 (permalink) Old 2019-07-31, 08:15 AM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Since the move from RF32 on Grand Island to RF 36 in Colden, WIVB/WNLO's signal into my location is very weak. Sure hope that permanent transmitter higher up doesn't take too long.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #3111 of 3122 (permalink) Old 2019-09-01, 11:58 AM
Rookie

Eglinton Ave at Dufferin St.

First post

Thought I would share my reception results -

4-1 WIVB CBS 1080i (Unstable)
5-1 CBLT-DT CBC 720i
7-1 WKBW ABC 720i
7-2 LAFF Laff TV 480i
7-3 ESCAPE Escape TV 480i
7-4 GRIT Grit TV
9-1 CFTO CTV 1080i
11-1 CHCH-DT CHCH Hamilton
14-1 CITS-HD Yes TV
17-1 WNED-HD PBS 720P
17-2 Think Think Bright
17-3 KIDs KIDs
19-1 TVO TVO HD
23-1 WNLO CW 23 HD (Unstable)
23-2 Bounce Bounce
25-1 CBLFTDT CBC French
26-1 WNYB HD TCT
26-3 LIGHTTV Light TV
29-1 WUTV FOX 29
29-2 TBD TBD
29-3 Charge Charge!
40-1 CJMT Omni 2
41-1 CIII-DT Global TV
43-10 WNED 94.5 WNED Classical Music
47-1 CFMT Omni 1
51-1 WPXJ-TV ion Television (Unstable)
51-2 qubo qubo
51-3 IONPlus ion Plus
51-4 Shop Shop
51-5 QVC QVC Over the Air
51-6 HSN HSN
57-1 CITYTV City TV

I use this antenna without an amplifier -
https://www.primecables.ca/p-367893-...utdoor-antenna

If anyone has advice on how I can get CTV2 that would be much appreciated. I suppose my best bet would be via 35-1 CHCJ-DT Hamilton but I haven't had any success to date.
post #3112 of 3122 (permalink) Old 2019-09-01, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0EY View Post

26-1 WNYB HD TCT
You locked RF 5, but not WGRZ, WIVB or WKBW solid?

You must not have that antenna facing the right direction.
post #3113 of 3122 (permalink) Old 2019-09-01, 07:20 PM

ON - City of Toronto Metro Area &lt;OUTDOOR Antennas Only&gt; - OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post

Anybody have experience with external component tuners as an upgrade to the TV's tuner?

B.
What does your TVFool look like? And what about the polarity plots of the antenna, have you overlaid that on what TVFool says to sort out where that ideal piece of sky might be?

The SiliconDust multi-tuner units that stream over your home network look interesting. But it all starts with antenna selection and positioning/placement/aiming:

The amplifier may be doing more harm than good...have you tried bypassing it and rescanning?

Have you tried turning the antenna slightly West of the CN Tower? No need to have that beaming directly “on-axis” into your antenna because you’re so close: 10-20 degrees might be a big help. You could also try a similar adjustment in the vertical axis, or a bit of each to find the sweet spot for your antenna and tuner. That’s just x- and y-axis tweaking - you could even try z-axis rotation if you were really motivated to get the most out of your current equipment. (Re-integrate the amp after this process, if it helped; it’ll confirm whether it helps or hinders)

If you want to follow proper engineering practices/procedures, check your cabling/connector integrity- has insulation degraded or have connectors oxidized/corroded? What about the grounding - same things apply here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3114 of 3122 (permalink) Old 2019-09-02, 03:17 PM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0EY View Post
First post

If anyone has advice on how I can get CTV2 that would be much appreciated. I suppose my best bet would be via 35-1 CHCJ-DT Hamilton but I haven't had any success to date.
Hello, JOEY; welcome to the forum.

Here is a report from rabbitears.info for that intersection:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...&study_id=7578

This shows the CHCJ signal coverage for your area. The marker is at the intersection; there are some weak spots:

The terrain profile shows a clear LOS path, but doesn't take into consideration trees or buildings in the signal path:

The transmitting antenna pattern shows that you are in a null; only 43 kW out of 390 kW are sent in your direction:

Quote:
That antenna is quite directional on UHF. Have you tried aiming it at Hamilton?

If you used a preamp and aimed the antenna at Toronto, the preamp and your TV would probably be overloaded by your strong Toronto signals.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 2019-09-02 at 03:39 PM.
post #3115 of 3122 (permalink) Old 2019-09-17, 02:22 PM
Rookie

I have it pointed South. I found that direction gave me the most channels.
post #3116 of 3122 (permalink) Old 2019-09-17, 02:24 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the detailed analysis, @rabbit73 . I don't use a preamp and have my antenna pointed straight South. I found that direction gave me the most channels.
post #3117 of 3122 (permalink) Old 2019-09-17, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Hello, JOEY; welcome to the forum.

Here is a report from rabbitears.info for that intersection:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...&study_id=7578

This shows the CHCJ signal coverage for your area. The marker is at the intersection; there are some weak spots:

The terrain profile shows a clear LOS path, but doesn't take into consideration trees or buildings in the signal path:

The transmitting antenna pattern shows that you are in a null; only 43 kW out of 390 kW are sent in your direction:

That antenna is quite directional on UHF. Have you tried aiming it at Hamilton?

If you used a preamp and aimed the antenna at Toronto, the preamp and your TV would probably be overloaded by your strong Toronto signals.

Holy tools, rabbit man! I love the one that compares TX & RX heights relative to CoE...that’s gotta come in handy a lot!
Joey may be referring to CTV2 closer to the bottom of the list for his location, CKVP in Fonthill (West of Niagara Falls, not far off the beam from buffalo, a repeater for CKVR to the NNE of his location - zoom out of the rabbit ears map, CKVR may be <30 miles off that edge and has a higher tower on a higher hilltop than CH). CHCH is an independent with no relation to CTV.
Back to tools- the horizontal radiation plot is also awesome- does it have the accompanying vertical plot available, as if we’re looking along the x-axis?

post #3118 of 3122 (permalink) Old 2019-09-17, 06:28 PM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy_on_ca View Post
Holy tools, rabbit man! I love the one that compares TX & RX heights relative to CoE...that’s gotta come in handy a lot!
Yea, pretty neat. Trip in VA set up the search map at rabbitears.info just in time as TVFool becomes less accurate. But I still find a TVFool signal report useful. This is the link to make a report with the search map. If it doesn't know your address, use coordinates:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

Quote:
Back to tools- the horizontal radiation plot is also awesome- does it have the accompanying vertical plot available, as if we’re looking along the x-axis?
The vertical plot isn't available with the report. For US stations you have to hunt through applications with the FCC. I have no idea where to look for the Canadian stations. The vertical plot is useful when your location is near the transmitter. You know the signal is shooting over your head, but you don't know how strong it is down at your level. The transmitting antenna gets it gain by making the vertical beam very narrow in height with vertical stacking.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #3119 of 3122 (permalink) Old 2019-09-17, 07:02 PM

That’s too bad. The vertical plot should be available AFAIC: your example of “signal flying over your head” was exactly what I was thinking - while the tools show JOEY is in a null horizontally, I wonder if a wee tilt upwards by a few degrees might find him a piece of that signal.
I’m going to punch my info in at rabbitears and see what it has to say...maybe some of those tools will answer some of my questions.

Tags
channel master

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in