NB, NS, PE, NL - Atlantic Provinces - OTA - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 924 (permalink) Old 2009-05-29, 05:12 PM

That channel 47 I indicated in a earlier post in Presque Isle may be an old filing. Here are the FCC's Presque Isle entries

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?state...&slon2=&size=9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 924 (permalink) Old 2009-05-29, 05:33 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

It looks like channel 47 in Presque Isle was granted a Construction Permit in 2006 but nothing seems to have gone forward, and any licences and permits for it expire at the end of June, 2009 so it looks like whatever it was supposed to be never got built out.

post #78 of 924 (permalink) Old 2009-05-29, 06:34 PM

Ok Stampeder,
This is what I got for my results with a guesstimate of 25 feet antenna.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...249d2b9c1d4b60
I'm reading this on my eee pc so it is very small. Does it mean I'm SOL for digital HD on my tv?

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.

post #79 of 924 (permalink) Old 2009-05-29, 07:03 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Ya you'd need to have a very high gain antenna like a DBGH to get the PBS station but it looks like the CBS station would not make it. If/when the Canadian stations go digital you'd have several to choose from.

post #80 of 924 (permalink) Old 2009-05-29, 07:38 PM

Here are the contact pages for WAGM-DT 8 in Presque Isle & WMEM-DT 10 & WMED-DT 10 (Maine PBS)

http://www.wagmtv.com/contact.aspx

http://www.mpbn.net/About/ContactMPB...5/Default.aspx

Contact them. Perhaps they'll even come by Digital Home and answer a few questions for the folks in the area. We had, and I hope we still have, a rep from WCAX-DT come by often to help us all out in the Plattsburgh/Burlington/Montreal thread.
post #81 of 924 (permalink) Old 2009-05-30, 01:12 PM

I have sent an email to both. When I do get something back from them, I'll post them here. For now, I'll just watch my high priced ROGERS cable service....

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #82 of 924 (permalink) Old 2009-06-03, 09:21 PM

Before I put any effort into researching it I figured it would be best to ask here. Is there any possibility of receiving any HD over the air in Moncton NB?
post #83 of 924 (permalink) Old 2009-06-03, 11:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Before I put any effort into researching it I figured it would be best to ask here. Is there any possibility of receiving any HD over the air in Moncton NB?
Not now. You'd have to wait for local HD transmitters, that is if anyone has any plans to build any in Moncton.
post #84 of 924 (permalink) Old 2009-06-04, 06:08 PM

The problem with you guys in NB is that your market is basically run out of Halifax. You're kinda back woods to the back woods. If your market really had local NB stations, then you could look forward to them converting their transmitters to Digital. But as it stands right now, you have a bunch of retransmitters being run out of Halifax.

You can probably expect the SRC station in Moncton to go DTV since it is SRC's flagship station in the Atlantic Provinces, but this is of little use to you if you don't watch french TV.

I really think that the Vermont solution should be applied to the NB market. This solution saw that areas broadcasters all locate their transmitters at one point on Mount Mansfield, VT. And, from there they transmit enough power to cover most of the state, and all the way up to Montreal.

I think the local CBC station in Saint John, and the local SRC station in Monction should place a tower north east of Fredricton, and use hi-VHF channels at about 50kw each to cover the Fredericton, Saint John, Moncton, and all points inbetween market with a single transmitter each. This signal will be able to reach far north of that point, all the way east to the US border as well. This will be a far simplier and quicker way to get DTV to NB than to plan out a conversion of all those retransmitters that may never happen. I also think the CRTC should shutdown the CTV and Global retransmitters operating in NB, since they are basically run out of Halifax. Shut them down, and then open up applications for one or two new privately run stations based in the province. Those stations can follow the CBC & SRC by placing their transmitters at the same spot as I mentioned above, and they will cover their market with only one transmitter. This will allow DTV to enter your market quickly, and also re-establish local TV stations.

But, I don't really see any of this happening unless the residents of NB don't start to make some noise about their media being run out of Halifax. Not that I don't like Halifax. But, NB is not an extention of Halifax. And for that matter, neither is PEI.

It's really up to you guys. Channels 8 & 10 are presently used by the Presque Isle stations. That leaves Channels 7,9,11,12,13 in the hi VHF band. Shut down the retransmiters, and free up those channels for at least 50kw stations to use them. If you don't, then you will be stuck with low powered retransmitters clogging up the airways, and limiting the coverage that can be had for the residents of NB.

You have elected politicians, and you have the CRTC, and Industry Canada you can complain to. Don't let people who own your media run it out of Toronto, or Halifax. You have enough of a population base to justify a local market.

Speak up. Or else you will continue paying high BDU bills, and you will wait even longer than some other Canadian markets to fully see how great DTV, and ATSC reception can be.
post #85 of 924 (permalink) Old 2009-06-04, 07:43 PM

Ah.... Nevermind. I'll just go back to drinking moosehead beer and eating lobster while I watch my Bell Aliant IPTV.
post #86 of 924 (permalink) Old 2009-06-06, 12:20 PM

I got an answer from WMED TV. They said we might have a chance of picking up their signal after June 12 with a medium sized antenna system. I guess I know what I'll be doing during my summer holidays....

post #87 of 924 (permalink) Old 2009-06-06, 12:32 PM

Blackburst: it's not that cut and dry. The thing with the Burlington-Plattsburgh market is that you could still receive each other city's stations over the air.

We already have something like that in NB, with CBC and CTV both having transmitters on Mount Champlain between Saint John and Fredericton. That one transmitter covers both cities. (Global also has a transmitter on the mountain but it's lower power and only covers Saint John well, so there's a separate Fredericton transmitter to serve low-lying parts of that city. Radio-Canada isn't on the mountain at all and also runs 2 separate transmitters.)

Moncton's over 150 km from both cities and the terrain in the middle isn't really conducive to having one mega-transmitter for all 3. They have their own transmitters for all 3 networks.

The only network I can see installing OTA DTV in this province is CBC. The others haven't realized we're not part of Nova Scotia yet. Nice of CTV to take half their "local" newscast the other day to run a debate for an election we can't vote in.
post #88 of 924 (permalink) Old 2009-06-06, 01:08 PM
Veteran

Danster, that is good to hear. My question is how big is a medium sized antenna? I still have the co-ax to the roof peak from *C so whatever I get will be outdoors and roof mounted so big is not really an issue but I am curious as to how big medium is.

On the idea of a consolidated broadcast point, kirjtc2 is correct. The topography of NB is all messed up. I would think that for Moncton and SJ, the best point may be Poley Mountain or in the immediate area as there are several peaks that are at least 350m ASL and little in the way of Moncton or SJ. A well powered transmitter on Crabbe (370m) would cover Freddy, Woodstock, McAdam, Stanley. The north is kinda screwed short of a lot of low powered towers or one bad a$$ tower on Mt Carlton as it is over 600m ASL.

Either way, NB and PEI only have about 800k people so there is little likelihood of a lot of consideration from anyone.
post #89 of 924 (permalink) Old 2009-06-06, 01:17 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

I have to chuckle at that highly technical engineering term: "medium size antenna". ???

WMED-DT will be on VHF-HI channel 10 with an ERP of 3500watts, which sounds terribly low but VHF signals carry very well so a high performance antenna & preamp would be best.

You could buy what is called a channel cut antenna or you might consider building one if you are a tinkerer:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=107697

post #90 of 924 (permalink) Old 2009-06-06, 03:05 PM

I know that the terrian of NB is not that great, but what I'm suggesting is using the hi-VHF channels. 30kw - 50kw transmitters can send a signal very far, and can bend around mountains. WMTW-DT in Maine is suppose to go full DT on Channel 8 at 29kw. So, power output like that is not uncommon. It is possible to try and get some sort of central tower point. Placing low-powered DT transmitters all over the place costs money. And uses up much desired hi-VHF channels for nothing. You really need to look at the FCC site to see what US stations are being licensed for KW power output. And you'll see that it is possible. It's the only hope I see in you guys getting Digital TV by the Sept 1, 2011 dealine.

Tags
antenna , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in