Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

ON - Barrie, Muskoka, Sault Ste. Marie, Northern Ontario - OTA

350K views 779 replies 171 participants last post by  NipissingOTA 
#1 ·
I live in Wiarton Ont,I am 700 ft above the Georgian bay and have tower of 74 ft with clearing of at least 1/2 mile. I found a Delhi 15.6 ft antenna which is vhf.I want to put this on the tower and use a 32 db gain pre amp and a rotor. Some people around the area have picked up Hamiltion on 11,but not real clear with no pre amp. Ideas

I am trying too find out if Toronto can travel this Far. I will soon be inatalling the antennas vhf,uhf. tia

#3 ·
ON - Barrie/Sault Ste. Marie/Northern Ontario - OTA

I was interested in this thread, so I just thought I'd interject some points of note in regards to the whole Wiarton and picking up channels situation.

With All that water, have you tried to point your antenna West towards Alpena, MI?

They have an OTA Digital CBS Station affiliate out of Alpena (WBKB).

WBKB-DT - 20kW - Channel 13
WBKB-TV - 316kW - Channel 11

With all that water, you might be able to pick it up.

They also have an OTA Digital PBS Station affiliate (WCML).

WCML-DT - 200kW - Channel 57
WCML-TV - 100kW - Channel 6

It might be worth a shot. Unfortunately there are no other affiliates that are close enough, the other affiliates are either out of Sault Ste. Marie, MI or Traverse City, MI or Cheboygan, MI...which would have to travel over a large part of land to get to you.

Good luck either way.

#4 ·
7candan said:
Thanks for the info, Today i opened the antenna up and on a 8 ft pole got as far as hamition(11),not clear and no pre amp.also got barrie(3). Will get it installed on 74 ft tower after i get rotor and pre amp(32 d b). It will be a few more weeks. One of my friends said he got the American feeds here and he is in the woods and antenna just above his house(20 ft).
74 feet is awesome! Are the guy wires any problem to get around? When you get results please post them in the stickied thread. It'll be neat to see what you get after testing for digital and analog stations from other places like Kitchener.

#7 ·
Sault Ste Marie and Upper Lake Huron

Its easy to get a variety of U.S. DTV stations OTA in this area. If you're right in The Soo you will not need much for antenna reception from the Soo Michigan side but it looks like this is one of those areas in which DTV will be on VHF from some stations, so either you will need a separate UHF and VHF antenna or a combo model. A local to medium range antenna will do the trick. Outlying areas with fairly even topography to Sault Ste. Marie will need to go with higher gain antennas even up to fringe and deep fringe level as your distance from The Soo increases.

The FCC and Antennaweb databases seem to be falling behind on up-to-date info regarding Soo Michigan DTV channel assignments etc. so I would appreciate if anyone has further info to reply to this post with that info.

This DHC post may offer some possible reception options for upper Lake Huron coastal areas right up to The Soo if Manitoulin Island doesn't block it: http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203669&postcount=42

This link might be of help: http://www.michiguide.com/dials/up.html

#9 ·
Wiarton Report

I have the tower up now and all hooked up

74 ft high, rotator, 16 ft delhi vhf, and a uhf antenna , a pre amp lkie 26 db.

ch 2 local
ch 3 "
ch 4 "
ch 8 Wingham
c12 Kit
c20,45
c67
All above are from Canada

c10 Travars city mich fair to good
c 11 Alpena fair to good
c18 tbn fair
ch 6 ?????

I had winsor this morning ch 10 also had Columbus ohio, Toledo,detroit and a few more about 60 percent.

I only have this going since Wednesday . Sometimes Alpena is very good and then next to nothing. This morning was a surprise for Ohio. I will keep testing and post results.

Can not get toronto because ch 20 tower in in the way, can not get North Bay or Perry Sound because ch 2 tower in in the way. For some reason London ont will not come it.(ch10.)

#10 ·
I'm wondering if I'm doing this right near Sault Ontairo.

Hi there, I've been following this post so excuse me if I come across as hijacking as I don't intend to. On boxing day I purchased a Norcent 27" LCD widescreen tv in hopes that I could use it with Expressvu. I've also heard recently about HD programming being broadcast OTA in Sault Michigan and hoped to tap into this signal but didn't know how until I read this thread. Although I gained some knowledge I'm not following through totally due to alot of new jargon being used here.

So here's where I'm at. I live roughly 40km's by road or 25km's as the crow flies from Sault Michigan with a relatively flat distance and a shipping channel separating me from the supposed tower. What do I need to test the HD signal if my LCD tv doesn't come with an HD tuner? I've understood that the signal is likely VHF from a poster in this forum.

#11 ·
Rockin Rog said:
I've also heard recently about HD programming being broadcast OTA in Sault Michigan and hoped to tap into this signal... I live roughly 40km's by road or 25km's as the crow flies from Sault Michigan with a relatively flat distance and a shipping channel separating me from the supposed tower.
Rockin Rog, about your TV purchase questions: I've split your original post and probak118's response so that they are now in the General HDTV Forum: http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14 since we don't deal with TV purchase info here. We'll deal with just your OTA reception questions here.

No matter what you purchase, you need an ATSC tuner to get the digital stations. Given your convenient distance to the broadcast tower and that you will also want to get existing analog stations too, I would recommend that you put up a VHF/FM/UHF combo antenna pointed at the Soo and then once its mounted up on your roof aim it to pull in both the Canadian and U.S. broadcast towers.

A Wade Delhi VU935SR combination antenna would do perfectly, and most ATSC tuners have signal strength meters to help you aim for the best signal. If you cannot find a local Wade installer you could get someone to install a similar Channel Master or Winegard VHF/FM/UHF combo antenna, or if you're a do-it-yourselfer maybe one of the DHCer OTA Pros or hobbyists can ship you a Wade.

#12 ·
Actually now that I think about it you could go with a smaller VHF/FM/UHF antenna like the Wade 934, although the 935 I first recommended would always give you lots of signal, especially if you decide to drive several TVs/Stereos from it, and is built a little more sturdier than most antennas to handle snow and cold...

I'm thinking you shouldn't go too small either. Even some of the metro/urban antennas would pull in the Soo stations for you, but I really prefer the conventional combo antennas for their better performance, outdoor durability, and snow load.

#14 ·
Ckvr Dt?

Hey all,

Been a while since I have posted in this thread. Anyways, just wondering what is going to happen with us in the GTA when CKVR begins going -DT, it will shift from NTSC 3 to ATSC 13. For those with UHF only antennas like the CM 4228, will that mean that CKVR-DT will not be available, or will we still get it.

I know it is just guesses for the most part, but wouldnt mind hearing what people think. I know CKVR has years till it has to go -DT but being part of that A-Channel grouping of stations that CHUM has, I could see them sooner than later wanting to have A-Channel HD available on Cable and Satellite if only for movies and some of the US programming A-Channel picks up and figure CKVR will be the station that will get it, with its close proximity to Toronto...

#15 ·
CKVR-dt

CKVR-dt is to be on channel 10 with 30kw.Assuming they install the antenna at the top of the Barrie tower it should just be able to reach Toronto.The range will be less than analog signal is now.They responded my inquiring about HD digital transmission and said 2 to 5 years with SD transmission first.They currently have no hdtv equipment at all.They said that that viewer demands would decide as to when they upgrade.So start contacting them to get HDTV.

#16 ·
Help - Sault Ste. Marie, ON - is it worth it?

Hi All,

Well, I've made a couple of moves, and have ended up back in the OTA forum again for some advise on a situation here....

I'm currently unfortunately living in a basement apartment in Sault Ste. Marie, ON. I'm @ 46.30N and 84.16W roughly according to the good people at Google Earth.

I do have a South facing view, towards Soo, Michigan...to my knowledge in the area, they have WWUP-DT (CBS Affiliate @ 49-1 for DT) and they have WGTQ-DT (ABC Affiliate @ 9-1 for DT, I know, in the VHF band for DT Transmission), now my Samsung T151 is picking up the CBS feed but only at 2 bars, I just have a non-amplified Philips antenna that you can pickup at Zellers lol, I had it from many years ago that I used for my FM Reception when I was down in Hamilton and it worked pretty good.

I don't pick up any bars on 9-1 (ABC Broadcasts on Channel 8)....

I'm just looking for advise, unfortunately since I'm in the basement I know that limits me greatly, I do on Analogue get Channel 10 (CBS Affiliate-WWUP), and on Channel 8 (ABC Affiliate-WGTQ), and I also get Channel 61 (Translator/Repeater from WFQX (Fox Affiliate))...its fuzzy and snowy but seems ok for the most part....obviously no Canadian OTA DT Transmitters online....

Since I can only go with an indoor antenna, can anyone make me a recommendation on the best indoor antenna that I can possibly find? While I completely realize that and outdoor antenna would be my best option, that's not possible in this scenario....

I can always buy it and check, but I tried the RCA powered antenna from Canadian Tire and it was actually worse than my current philips non-powered antenna that I'm using...

I know its only 2 channels, but I enjoy CSI and a lot of CBS as awell as a lot of ABC programming (Even though they won't have MNF anymore)....my cable company, Shaw, really really sucks here in the soo for HD (don't have satellite possibilty as I don't have a balcony obviously since I'm in a basement).... (only can get 4 HD channels, FOX-WJBK, CBS-WWJ, TMN-HD, and Sportsnet HD)...

Or do I just live with the analogue signal until it dies out in 09? :)...not sure where I'll be in 2 years....but just wondering if its worth it, or should I just forget it?

I know there's a multitude of knowledge in this forum, so before I throw the HD OTA towel in, I thought I'd try here and see if there's another option...otherwise I guess I'll just have to call Shaw and bite the bullet, even though I'd rather not....

TIA for your help,

Ryan

#17 ·
ryans being in the basement is one of the worst location you can be for tv reception.

Generally you need height to get a good strong signal.

Being upstairs is better as tv signals dont travel too well through ground and concrete.

Is there a way that you can have some mount/point the antenna for you that lives upstairs and run the cbale down to your room?

#19 ·
Yaamon said:
ryans being in the basement is one of the worst location you can be for tv reception.

Generally you need height to get a good strong signal.

Being upstairs is better as tv signals dont travel too well through ground and concrete.

Is there a way that you can have some mount/point the antenna for you that lives upstairs and run the cbale down to your room?
I can try and see, not quite sure though as the people I'm with are not really technically inclined...and they may wonder why I'm mounting equipment outside and whatnot.... :) but I can see....

Yes, I wish I could place an Antenna ontop of the International Bridge, but...yeah...something tells me the border guards may not appreciate the cabling...but that'd probably even get me WTOM from Cheboygan!! :)...

I'll let you guys know if they go for it or not...

#23 ·
Tijuana said:
want to know what other channles I can get
Near Orillia you can receive ckvr on 3,cblt on 16 Barrie,Cfto on 21 near Orillia,Global on 7 ,chch on 67 near Bracebridge.All of the Toronto stations from the CN tower are possible with a tower and a rotor.There is no local OTA digital available,just the old analog system.

#24 · (Edited)
Reception near Crown Hill, between Barrie and Orillia

I am near Crown Hill, between Barrie and Orillia, just north of highway 11.
Finally put up a small tv tower with a CM4228 on it, about 40 feet up.

This is what I'm receiving, no signal enhancements happening when I checked...
Digitals out of Toronto are all solid except Sun (CKXT) on 66 never happens.
Buffalo's are sporadic, with the 23's being the most reliable, and FOX and PBS the most unreliable.
When I was in Toronto with the same antenna on the chimney of a Bungalow, all Toronto and Buffalo digitals were solid.

Analogues up here are all awesome, with regular reception of Peterborough 12 and Kitchener 13.

So far I am quite happy with the performance, although I have only been playing for a couple days.

#25 ·
That's great reception, TeePee! Maybe the next step is to try an all-channel preamp up on the mast with the CM4228 like a Winegard AP8275 to see if the Buffalo stations will stabilize and the weaker Canadian stations materialize.

I just looked it up on Google Maps and you are on the north shore of Lake Simcoe on a rise so that works well for your reception from the south.

#26 ·
Sorry, I failed to mention I am using a Channel Master 7777 preamp, which makes a huge difference.

My mailing address is Shanty Bay, which is on the Lake, but I am actually east of Crown Hill which is north of highway 11, South of Edgar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.