ON - Barrie, Muskoka, Sault Ste. Marie, Northern Ontario - OTA - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 758 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 10:08 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

As a rule I stay away from UFO antennas because they suffer from multipath interference, which is particularly hard on digital tuners but just plain annoying on analogue stations. In your case a Large or Small Combo antenna on a rotor would easily get you the Barrie stations:

CKVR 3
CBC English 16
SRC French 55

and then swinging it in other directions you'd get:

Global on 7 from Midland
CTV on 21 from Orillia

Does anyone know of other stations available just north of Barrie?

Last edited by stampeder; 2008-11-25 at 10:25 PM. Reason: See my further reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 758 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 10:20 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Looking on a map I can see why a UFO antenna was put there - you are in the middle of stations from 3 different directions!

If you inherited that UFO antenna you should try to get its brand and model number so that you can search for the controller and any other gear it needs. Of course you'd be taking a chance that it even works in the first place, but UFO antennas are very expensive to buy brand new.

In your case I'd say a UFO antenna would be useful. Delhi makes one called the "Ideal": http://www.wade-antenna.com/Wade/Ideal.htm

post #123 of 758 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 10:34 PM

they seem to be all over the place in my neighborhood (ufo antennas) - we are quite high up here on a hill.

Other than climbing up the roof to take a look, i have no way of getting a model number. I will have to wait until the spring, I'm not going up there in this snow.

Thanks.

post #124 of 758 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 11:58 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Would you be able to take a digital photo of it and then post it? We might be able to ID it if its zoomed in really tight.

post #125 of 758 (permalink) Old 2008-11-26, 08:49 AM

Stations just north of Barrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
Does anyone know of other stations available just north of Barrie?
CHCH 67 from Muskoka
TVO 13 from Huntsville
CTV 11 from Huntsville
Global 7 from Midland
post #126 of 758 (permalink) Old 2008-11-30, 05:22 PM

Digital OTA in Barrie, ON ?

I was wondering what kind of channels I would pick up in Barrie, I'm on the second story of my house and on analog I currently pick up...

CBC (French & Slightly fuzzy)
Global (Black and white, fuzzy, sound is decent)
TVO (Horribly)
CBC (Good)
A Channel (Local Channel, perfect quality)

Any idea of what kind of channels I will get with my new LCD that has an ASTC tuner? I have a home-made antenna built from instructions on the internet. Thinking of buying a Terk Amplified HDTV Indoor Antenna, would this make any difference/be worth $80?

Any help would be well appreciated,
thanks!
post #127 of 758 (permalink) Old 2008-12-01, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedDrink View Post
I was wondering what kind of channels I would pick up in Barrie...

Any idea of what kind of channels I will get with my new LCD that has an ASTC tuner? I have a home-made antenna built from instructions on the internet. Thinking of buying a Terk Amplified HDTV Indoor Antenna, would this make any difference/be worth $80?
Hi MixedDrink,

My summer place is located directly east of you (Barrie) about 25 minutes east of Beaverton, so I am further from Toronto and Buffalo than you. With a Channel Master 4228 on a 40' tower and a rotor, I am able to receive digital channels from Toronto (in warm weather) and Buffalo. I was there on Saturday as was able to watch Buffalo channels in HD.

There are currently no digital channels in the Barrie area other than those out of Toronto and Buffalo. That will change in August 2011 when most Canadian channels will be digital. An indoor antenna will not be able to pick up any of those digital channels from your location so don't waste your money. You will need a large outdoor antenna to receive anything digitial from your location. Such a set-up will also enable you to receive the analog channels previously listed in this thread.

Cottager
post #128 of 758 (permalink) Old 2008-12-01, 09:21 PM

Thank you so much Cottager!

Since an indoor will not be able to pick up any digital channels, what kind of outdoor antenna could I pick up to get these channels ( on a budget ), or could I possibly build one?
As I said, I am on the second floor of my house.

Thanks in advance!

- MixedDrink
post #129 of 758 (permalink) Old 2008-12-01, 10:35 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

If you decide to build one, build the best:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=81982

post #130 of 758 (permalink) Old 2008-12-02, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedDrink View Post
Thank you so much Cottager!
Since an indoor will not be able to pick up any digital channels, what kind of outdoor antenna could I pick up to get these channels ( on a budget ), or could I possibly build one?
As I said, I am on the second floor of my house.
Thanks in advance!
- MixedDrink
Since you are on the second floor of a house, does that mean you can't install an outdoor antenna? If that is the case, then you are limited to an indoor antenna which in turn will significantly limit your reception. Receiving digital channels from Toronto and Buffalo probably won't be possible. Local channels should easily be received with something like a Channel Master 4220 or an Antennas Direct DB2 (about $35-$40). If you have the space inside, then you should consider a Channel Master 4221 or Antennas Direct DB4 ($50-$60) which may be able to pick up some Toronto channels provided you are able to point it at the CN tower. If you are handy, then you should seriously consider building the antenna shown in stampeder's link above. In any case, make sure the antenna is pointed in the direction of the TV tower you wish to receive. If you are facing south, you might want to consider mounting the antenna outside next to a window and run the coax into the house. This will improve reception over an indoor set-up.

I have experimented with an Antennas Direct DB2 in Toronto with very good results for local reception. Prior to installing a Channel Master 4228 at my cottage, I was using an Antennas Direct DB4 mounted oudoors, and was able to consistently receive analog signals from 80 km away. I am now using the DB4 at my home in Toronto. Note that all of the antennas listed above are UHF only (channels 14-69). CKVR Barrie is VHF, channel 3. In order to receive VHF, I bought a cheap set of rabbit ears, removed the twinlead wire and replaced it with a 300-75 ohm outdoor transformer. I then combined the DB4 with the rabbit ears using a UHF-VHF combiner into a single coax and attached the rabbit ears to the DB4 with nylon cable ties. Mounted outdoors, I am able to receive both VHF and UHF channels.

You should download a copy of stampeder's antenna chart on the OTA Knowledge Base thread.

Good luck!

Cottager
post #131 of 758 (permalink) Old 2008-12-02, 06:03 PM

Thank you, both of you!
Right now I'm in talk with my parents over whether to wire cable into my room or get a Channel Master 4220, I didn't think an outdoor antenna could be that cheap!
I'm sure I will be happy with whatever outcome,
thanks again for your help!
post #132 of 758 (permalink) Old 2008-12-10, 09:52 AM

My UFO

Stampeder-

These are the best pics I could get, I see there is a label on the antenna, but i'm not climbing up there with all of this snow. I've also included a picture of the cable that comes into the house. Thanks.

post #133 of 758 (permalink) Old 2008-12-16, 06:14 PM

Anyone?

Can Anyone ID this antenna? I want to know what is suppossed to be connected to the 3-wires? A power supply of some sort perhaps?
post #134 of 758 (permalink) Old 2008-12-16, 11:24 PM

Talking

most of them had a box with a 110 volt connection for the rotor and amp inside since nothing moves on the outside and a little wired hand held remote with a switch to go forward or back. The Source well Radioshack back then sold them.I have seen a few surplus stores with them but nothing as of late anywhere.
post #135 of 758 (permalink) Old 2008-12-29, 08:56 PM
Rookie

Smile Owen Sound OTA HD.?

I am heading for Owen Sound this weekend to assist in a Home Theatre installation and was wondering what if any OTA HD is available.

If anyone can post links to maps etc that would be cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in