ON - Barrie, Muskoka, Sault Ste. Marie, Northern Ontario - OTA - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 05:55 PM
Rookie

hi, i just thought i'd update my situation.

I got my CM4228 up. The signal is a bit stronger but not all that great.
The clearest channel so far is 2 (ctv), with 5 (cbc) being the next. I get 2 U.S. stations right now, 8 (abc) and 10 (cbs). I know there is 4, which is NBC i do believe, but the t.v. isn't picking it up. I also get 12 (global) 20/28 (tvo) 26 (cbc french) and 38 (CH).

I ended up having to get a transformer locally, since it wasn't shipped and trying to get it was a bit of a hassle and would have taken longer.

The antenna is up about 15' and has some trees obscuring it's path, so that could be a reason why the picture isn't 'perfectly clear'. I also am using my old coax cable i got when i had B.E.V., and my cable is pretty long too. I'm not sure if that could be an issue too.

I think i'll wait to see what kind of reception i get with the U.S. channels come feb. 2009 before i look into improving the signal.

I do have a question too...

when the analogue signal goes digital, will the signal be either a clear picture, or no picture kind of thing, as oppose to the way the signal quality diminishes with an analogue signal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-09-06, 02:34 AM

greentreee, When the signal goes digital, you'll either get the picture or you won't. I always tell people its like having satellite, except the picture quality is better.

You mention channel 4 not coming in well; the 4228 is not very good on VHF-Low (channels 2-6). Channel 4 will be on channel 25 after cutover, so you might have good luck then. I also think there is a Fox channel in the area on 61 but I don't know how strong it is.

What was the transformer for btw and are you splitting the cable at all to multiple televisions?
post #108 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-09-08, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gran Chico View Post
jjns, if you haven't already, check out this thread. You realize how big a 4228 is, right? Getting it into an attic is the biggest challenge for many. A 4221 fits much easier in many homes.

Note that the 4228 is a UHF antenna. I understand it also works reasonably well for VHF high, but that doesn't include CKVR Channel 3.
Hey El Gran Chico.
Funny enough, I get CKVR Ch. 3 (strong) off the back of my dual 4228's and I am in the Newmarket area. Weird huh?

post #109 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-09-14, 11:46 AM
Rookie

Update to Post #60

Getting ready to upgrade an existing tower to be able to receive OTA signals.

Have a 40ft tower with an old rotor and Radio Shack VHF/UHF antenna with RG59 cable. Bought a new rotor, RG6 cable and a CM777? preamp so far. Looking for advice on antenna's for UHF and VHF reception. I know that I'm pretty far away from the transmitters but want to get as many stations as possible (doesn't everyone )

Am I best to use two separate antenna or a combination type? Have been looking at the CM4228 as the UHF but not sure if thats the best I can get. What about the yagi style, is it better than the 4228?

Any recommendations on what and where to buy would be much appreciated.
post #110 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-09-14, 09:16 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

OTAbound, click on the links in this reply to get to the Antenna Chart, which gives the recommended antenna(s) for deepest fringe reception:

post #111 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-09-16, 11:29 PM
Rookie

Antenna chart?

Stampeder, followed your link but ended up in the FAQ page. Did not find any antenna chart, but did find this reference to it;

"As you read through your printed-out Antenna Chart, here is further info on the most highly regarded consumer antennas:"

What did I miss?
post #112 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-09-17, 02:28 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

The FAQ has 18 separate posts in it, and the antenna chart is located in Post #18.

post #113 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 01:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
greentreee, When the signal goes digital, you'll either get the picture or you won't. I always tell people its like having satellite, except the picture quality is better.

You mention channel 4 not coming in well; the 4228 is not very good on VHF-Low (channels 2-6). Channel 4 will be on channel 25 after cutover, so you might have good luck then. I also think there is a Fox channel in the area on 61 but I don't know how strong it is.

What was the transformer for btw and are you splitting the cable at all to multiple televisions?
hi thanks for the clarification regarding the signal strength, that's what i figured.

regarding channel 4, i forgot about that minor detail and being so close to the ctv/cbc towers it was just something the slipped my mind. with fox, i think i'd have to move my antenna a bit towards it, but still i don't think it's a strong signal, and i have lots of trees around, maybe come the spring i'll look into getting a better set up, at least then i'll know more about how that signal will end up, after the switch.

i never ended up getting a transformer from in the box when the antenna came, there was a mild attempt to contact xtek but my step dad thought i was missing just a balun, when i tried to say it was the transformer, he later went out and bought one.

thanks again,
time to wait for the switch now.
post #114 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-10-28, 01:04 AM

North Bay/Callander?

I have read through as many threads as I could but could not find any reference as to what people are running in the Callander area. I recently moved to Ontario from Northern B.C. and purchase a house with a TV tower attached. I would like to put a new antenna and rotor on this tower. The tower is the normal triangular type tower with the mid section attached to the house. It is approximately 35 feet high (above the roof of the two storey house). I have a 2007 DLP TV with a Quams tuner and would like to split the signal 3 ways. If you are looking on Google map I am in the Tillicum Bay Road area near the water. I am down in Toronto this week and would like to purchase the needed equipment before I head back up (keep the wife happy factor). I am guessing an inline amplifier would be suggested as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt
post #115 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-10-28, 03:06 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi Matt, have a look at this site for Ontario stations:

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...a_TV_Stations/

I saw several analogue OTA stations out of North Bay in there.

post #116 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-10-28, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the Help

Hi Stampeder,

Thank you for the link. I tried looking at TV fool and a few other sites on the web to try and figure out which towers I could hope to hit (even on the fringe). I am guess the ones in North Bay should not be a problem but was wondering which other sites I might be able to get as well. So, based on the chart which sites (other than the ones in North Bay) can I hope to pull in and what antenna setup would you use? IE. Does a combo antenna setup make the most setup because of the channel spread (ie. North Bay Ch 2,4,32,6,10). I am guessing that only the call signs are the actual stations and the extra tower listed under that call sign are repeaters? Does DT= HDTV. I would like to pull in as many channels as possible but at the same token don't want to wreck my TV by too strong of a signal. I should also probably verify that a ATSC/QAM/NTSC Tuner with CableCARD (TM) Slot tuner means that I can decode HDTV with it from OTA.

Cheers,

Matt
post #117 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-10-28, 12:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I should also probably verify that a ATSC/QAM/NTSC Tuner with CableCARD (TM) Slot tuner means that I can decode HDTV with it from OTA.
ATSC is used for over the air broadcasting of digital signals. None of the Canadian stations listed in TVfool for Callander, ON are actually on the air, or even likely to be on the air anytime in the next few years. It doesn't appear that you have any chance at receiving an American channels where you are.

The QAM tuner might be useful for your local cable company, if they in fact have any unencrypted channels. There is no regulation in Canada requiring Cable Companies to have any unencrypted cable channels, so it may be of limited use.

CableCard is not used in Canada, so CableCard capability is of no use to you.

You can use TVFool to help with aiming for Canadian analog stations in the meantime.

I wouldn't worry too much about overloading your tuner unless you use a preamp, and even then you may be OK. If you do, use one that has separate VHF and UHF inputs, and use separate UHF and VHF antennas. Channels 4 and 6 are pretty powerful in your area.
post #118 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 10:49 PM

Moonstone, ON

I just moved about 30K north of Barrie to the Moonstone area - I am up high on a hill, no obstructions. Existing above the roof of my house is a UFO white saucer shaped antena. When i plug it into an analog TV i get channel 3 and 7 both a little fuzzy.

The cable coming from the antena is a standard coax cable along with a 3 conductor cable, stripped back reveals a white, black, and a yellow.

I am obviously missing something.

When I scan for digital on my HDTV it finds nothing.

Any ideas of what I am missing or what I can do with this existing antena to pick up maybe 1 or 2 Digital channels?

Thanks.
post #119 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 10:57 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi and welcome here - sorry but you won't be getting any digital stations there with that little antenna, and I'm guessing that even if you had deepest fringe OTA gear you will not get any at this date.

Take a look at the Ontario listings here for the operational stations in your area:

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...a_TV_Stations/

In order to get the best from the local analogue stations in your area I'd suggest that you plot them on a map and then see the Antenna Chart to find an antenna that matches the distances:

post #120 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 11:02 PM

Thanks-

Do you know where I can find out some info on that antenna? even for picking up better quality analog would be a bonus.

because of the 3wires, I obviously am missing a power supply or booster or something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in