ON - Barrie, Muskoka, Sault Ste. Marie, Northern Ontario - OTA - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-03-23, 01:52 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Even a smaller combo antenna would get you good reception, but I have concerns about the weather effects from the lakes on a smaller one. A Delhi 935 or 936 (or one of the Combo competitors in the Antenna Chart) would suit you very well for years to come.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-03-24, 12:53 AM
Rookie

hello,

well,
i have one more question i guess.

What sort of disadvantages are there with me getting the CM 4228?
is it primarily due to the fact that the vhf signals won't be coming as strong?

the main reason for my question is that i'm not one paying for the antenna, and the person that is, is asking me "what about the...". I should note that the person paying is a HAM operator, and was looking at the specs and liked the gain of the CM 4228. His understanding is that after the digital conversion there won't be any VHF signals, but i tried to tell him. a) that won't be the case b) i've read that 2011 may get extended as the deadline for the analogue shut off in canada.

take care
and thanks again
post #93 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-03-24, 03:25 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

The CM4228 is certainly the antenna of choice for UHF, and in regards to VHF High channels (7 to 13) its performance is acceptable. It does not receive VHF Low channels (2 to 6) very well beyond about 20 km in most cases. If you are okay with that knowledge then yes, a CM4228 is excellent.

I assumed you'd want the best of both worlds for now, so I recommended a Combo antenna for your needs. Also a Combo will give you the ability to split your downlead to not just TVs but also FM Stereo receivers for excellent reception of the FM radio stations in your area as well as from down in the U.S.

The digital cutover in the U.S. seems to be going on track, but the Canadian one is still a bit of a mystery so I would not count on the 2011 date being etched in stone for your area.

Let us know what your thoughts are, and get your friend to join up here too since we have other HAMS here too.

post #94 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-03-24, 11:15 PM
Rookie

Well, by the looks of things, i may just be able to get away with the CM 4228.
After some more thinking, the size and weight the delhi had seemed a bit of concern especially with all the trees, and the high winds.

I did some more precision measuring on google earth.

i'm just under 80 km from the abc - cbs towers, pointing the antenna in that direction, the line goes directly between the global - tvo/cbc antennas, which are about 18 km away. the placement couldn't be any more perfect.

I'm familiar with the 'shut down' dates for the analog signal as well. I'll be patiently waiting for broadband internet too.

but first, i have to wait for the snow to melt.
post #95 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-03-25, 03:26 AM

Greentree, my parents have a cottage near Goulais River...at Sand bay. I'm guessing the hill you're referring to is the Mile hill?
post #96 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-03-25, 01:40 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentreee
the placement couldn't be any more perfect
And for that you are very fortunate. Many OTA users would be very envious!

post #97 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-03-25, 08:39 PM
Rookie

Yes, Randomdude that is the hill i'm refering to.
post #98 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-04-13, 08:13 PM

North of Barrie

Ok I have decided to take the plunge and purchase a channel master 4228 , a preamp and possibly a rotator. I am located in the north of Barrie and want to hopefully replace my basic cable package.

What I was wondering was whether it would be feasible to connect directly to where my cable company came into the house and thereby automatically be connected everywhere throughout the house? The current coax used by the cable company is 18 AWG and runs to four different tvs in the house.
post #99 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-04-13, 08:27 PM

That should work fine. You will definitely need a preamp to feed 4 TVs.
post #100 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-04-13, 08:45 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi pmccue, I've merged your post into this Reception thread that covers the Barrie area so you can see how others have done where you are and make a better decision on whether to go 100% OTA.

When I sound-out your user name I think back on houses we lived in on RCAF bases when I was a kid.

post #101 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-04-13, 09:16 PM

thanks for the quick reply. Stampeder I am originally from the Sault but have been living in Barrie for about ten years now. Thanks for allowing me into this forum. I have spent hours reading the different posts and am impressed with the wealth of knowledge found here. I currently have a satellite system (dnet) running and keep basic cable for locals etc. I have informed my cable company that May 1 they can disconnect me. I cant justify paying for the cable if I can get locals and perhaps more ota. So the ota system is going up this week. I just need to sort out a few of the technical details. I noticed that you referred to the samsung h260 tuner a few times because you felt it was the best valu out there. I will need a tuner that will be able to get the digitals as well as analogs. Do you still feel that the samsung is the best unit to buy or are there others that are as good.?
post #102 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-07-10, 04:09 PM

OTA at CFB Borden (in Barrie, ON)

Hi all.
Have cruised the forum but still not sure what to do. Just moved to Borden on the base. Tired of contributing to the Ted Rogers Retirement fund and really want to try an antenna. Rabbit ears are pulling in local Barrie channel but all else is fuzzy. At this time HD isn't that important to me as our 15 yr old sony just can't appreciate the quality. That said, in the future there will be a new TV but in the meantime... Local companies are all advocating Star Choice, Ma Bell really wants me on their plan and everyone thinks their service is best...
Any ideas what I could receive with say a CM4228 up in the attic. I have heard all the reasons why not to do that, but this place has rules, one of them being nothing can be mounted onto the house or the roof and I am guessing they wouldn't allow a tower in the back yard.
Also, if ATSC tuners are so hard to come am I better off moving up the TV purchase with something built-in?
Thanks in advance.
post #103 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 12:58 AM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
jjns, if you haven't already, check out this thread. You realize how big a 4228 is, right? Getting it into an attic is the biggest challenge for many. A 4221 fits much easier in many homes.

Note that the 4228 is a UHF antenna. I understand it also works reasonably well for VHF high, but that doesn't include CKVR Channel 3.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #104 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 11:27 AM

Barrie'ites are running towers, which I cannot do. The attic is my best choice for a southerly direction and 1 hole to the room below lets me access the existing wiring. Access is by drop-down ladder, hole is 2ftx5ft, so I think a 4228 would fit. Downside is no power up there, which I believe eliminates the rotor or pre-amp option. I thought a 4221 would require a rotor, so that is why I did not consider it. VHF low would be nice, but if I had to, I could keep the ears out and manually swap. I don't mind spending money on something that will work, but at the same time, I don't want to spend bags of money and time, only to have to grovel to Ted (and my wife) after the fact.
post #105 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 06:02 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Just an old tip: a CM4228 can be fit through narrow openings by drilling out the rivets that join the reflector screens to the bowtie frames. After you've fit the CM4228 into the attic you can reattach the screens into the same holes with machine screws.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in