ON - Barrie, Muskoka, Sault Ste. Marie, Northern Ontario - OTA - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-12-09, 09:49 PM

Stampeder,
Thanks for the reply.
I may use the SA to check the antenna output from SSE to SSW to see if any signals present. Do you know what channel the most powerful station is from TO or Detroit is at? If I see any thing in that range, I'll get the ATSC tuner box even though it likely will not be useable. Just having fun and learning!

Likely will have a VHF antenna in a week or so also so I'll check on the Barrie stations I picked up last summer, which I'm sure are watchable.

I am at the cabin, at least weekly and so I'll post results later.

Regards,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-12-10, 02:35 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by statestreet
Do you know what channel the most powerful station is from TO or Detroit is at?
Power, expressed as Effective Radiated Power, is only one part of the reception puzzle. Being so far away, those stations have to also get around all that geography including hills, valleys, bodies of water, trees, etc. so its not just simply a matter of the strongest transmitters getting through better than others.

Check out this site for Ontario and Michigan listings since there might be stations closer by with much less ERP that get through better:

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...a_TV_Stations/

As to your question about Detroit and Toronto stations: CFMT on Channel 47 is at 1.1 megawatts ERP, while in Detroit channels 20 and 50 are at 2.2 megawatts ERP.

post #78 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-12-23, 10:24 PM
Veteran

New Tecumseth ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAbound View Post
Yaamon thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to determine my best approach at updating my old tower setup. Don't want to spend money unnecessarily but really need to do something.

I had already picked up a 10ft section of tower for next to nothing so will have it added to the existing 30ft. I am situated in the shadow of a hill so I think higher will be better. The hill is directly in my line of sight to Toronto and is about 1km south of me and 130ft higher in elevation.
OTABound, I am in almost an identical situation (55km to CN Tower, 130km to Grand Island, practically on the same line of sight. I'm in New Tecumseth ON)

I would appreciate hearing your results, as I want to put up an antenna for HD reception.

post #79 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-01-13, 01:40 PM
Rookie

Question Which HD channels are available in the Barrie area?

I've gone through some of your threads but can't find if anyone has a specific listing of what HD channels are available in the Barrie area. Any help would be appreciated. I have an antenna I'm going to install and I'm curious as to what I could receive. Thanks
post #80 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-01-21, 03:02 PM

Statestreet might have a better chance at hitting Alpena, Cheboygan or the Sault as opposed to Detroit. I can remember I used to get SSM radio stations for small periods of time coming up Highway 69 in the section close to the lake, late at night during the summer time when I traveled that road about 6 years ago.
post #81 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-01-26, 11:45 AM
Rookie

Explanation needed on stacking CM 4228's

I live in southwest Barrie and I'm planning to install a CM4228 with a rotor on a 40' tower. From the threads I have been reading on this site and other forums this seems to be the best way to go.

On one of the threads I was reading a person north of me was using the set up I have mentioned above(he is at a higher elevation that I am)and getting stations from Toronto and Buffalo. It was mentioned to him that he may want to stack two CM 4228's together to improve his reception.

Is it possible that someone to give me a explanation as to what are the advantages of a stacked CM4228 vs. a single one.

Thanks
Steve
post #82 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-01-26, 03:39 PM

I'm not a professional in the antenna arena (I don't even have one yet, still researching so everything is perfect for a summer install), but I recall reading about 2 stacked CM4228's at http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/16bay.html.
I hope that helps; hopefully some professional around here can tell you in short what the advantages and disadvantages are.
post #83 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-02-18, 07:37 PM

Soo Ontario Digital Yet?

My Dad is on the US side of Whitefish Bay, Lake Superior, between Paradise, MI and Whitefish Point. He gets great OTA reception from

CHBX 2
CBLT 5
TVO CICO 20 from Soo, Ontario.

He also gets

WWUP 10
WGTQ 8

altho you can tell it's starting to get to the fringe area. There is a slight chance for WTOM NBC 4 if the weather permits. I'm pretty sure he has the largest UHF/VHF combo antenna from Radio Shack, a pre amp, rotor, on about a 25-30' tower. Now I have to get him ready to go digital from all analog. Are any of the Soo Ontario stations OTA digital yet? TVfool has some listed but not sure if what they have "on paper" is actually sailing thru the air. I kinda have that same problem with finding out where the MI digital stations are now, and where they'll be next year, UHF/VHF? Been reading the forums for deep fringe reception ideas and I love it. A few US forums are ok but your's does stand out with great info.
post #84 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-02-18, 07:47 PM

Try this:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

and search for SAULT STE. MARIE USA
post #85 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-02-18, 08:20 PM

thanks predator

Didn't realize i could punch in Canadian stations in the FCC website. Showing CHBX 2 and TVO CICO 20 sending a digital signals on 11 and 25. Didn't find CBLT (cbc) 5 from the Soo in their list, but a website called michiganguide.com has it listed digital on 21. Driving up tommorow and taking my LCD tv up,(it's so thin and light compared to the tube sets, I love it). If we can grab a few digital channels and stay locked on, he'll be blown away by the picture.
post #86 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-02-18, 10:06 PM
Veteran

You won't see digital OTA from Canadian stations in the Soo anytime before Aug 2011, if at all.

TVl
post #87 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-02-18, 10:17 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

flyrod05, welcome here and have a look to the upper right for the Search this Thread tool. Use the term "Sault" and you'll see a bunch of previous posts of advice I've given for your area.

post #88 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-03-21, 06:41 PM
Rookie

Goulais River (just outside of The Soo)

hello,

i live in goulais river which is just outside of sault ste. marie. I've spent the last couple of days combing over several threads to gain as much info as possible. I recently got a Sony Bravia LCD after years of using crt tvs.

I'm only picking up channels 2 (ctv), 5 (cbc) and 28 (tvo) [all of which are at 25% reception] with an old FM archer indoor antenna. On my old t.v. i could also pick up 12 (global) and c.h. (can't remember the channel number) 8 (abc), 10 (cbs) and very rarely 4 (nbc) with the same antenna.

The american channels rarely would come in clear, i should note.

With the help of the google map i found that i am about 80 km away from the cbs and abc towers in soo mich. and from what i've read so far i am in the fringe to deep fringe area from these towers.

my concern is that between my house and the cbs/abc towers is a hill (where the canadian towers are generally located) and i'm not sure if it is a large enough obstruction to even try to pick up the digital signal.

also, seeing that the distance between the canadian towers and the u.s. ones are at such a difference, i'm wondering what sort of options there are when it comes to picking the right antenna to buy.

any thoughts or comments would be great.
post #89 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-03-21, 10:30 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi greentreee and welcome here - my suggestion is to go for deep to deepest fringe gear on the basis of you having previously received the U.S. analogue stations with your earlier TV and an indoor antenna.

I'd say a VHF/FM/UHF Combo antenna like a Delhi 935SR or 936SR (with the UHF enhancement kit added to either one) would fit the bill for the next several years of analogue-to-digital transition with solid reception. Another option is the big 937 but that probably isn't needed.

post #90 of 763 (permalink) Old 2008-03-22, 11:46 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. now it will be a matter time to get an antenna, and a tower too, it might be a couple months until i get one.

i want to add that i hooked up another set of rabbit ears, just to see what would happen, and i don't really know. But I did end up doing another channel scan, and picked up abc, cbs (is black n white with audio distortion), and global, also i did get a boost (now @ 50%) in my signal to cbc and tvo.

no signal is clear ether, my guess is that the t.v. is the cause. My computer does interfere quite a bit too.

anyways, thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in