ON - Barrie, Muskoka, Sault Ste. Marie, Northern Ontario - OTA - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 01:05 PM
Veteran

I installed some transmitters for CBC in sudbury about 15 years ago..

At that time they had CBC french & english, TVO & a CTV repeater.

I doubt there'd be any canadian digital for 5 years or so, i'm guessing.
I'd also guess Global has a repeater.

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 01:11 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Check the Ontario listings here for Sudbury and surrounding areas:

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...a_TV_Stations/

post #48 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 04:17 PM
Veteran

Stampeder, isn't that a useless chart. Do you really think sudbury has 10 digital stations?

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)

post #49 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 04:21 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

The disclaimer on the chart is that it comes from Industry Canada's database of present and future channel allotments. IC tries to plan these things years in advance, especially in conjunction with the FCC in border areas too.

In the case of CTV Vancouver it was helpful for several of us DHCers to propose a channel change to them in the already crowded Van-Vic-SeaTac spectrum so that they could boost their output power from its measly pea-shooter level - I sure hope they take our advice and IC/CRTC allows it!

It helps to give a heads up of what the future might hold in other areas too.

post #50 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-05-27, 07:15 PM

Oro Medonte (next to Lake Simcoe)

I'm going for my 1st antenna ever.I live in a low zone Oro Medonte next to Lake Simcoe.
I have 4 sections of tower just given to me.
I'm interested in a good antenna to get the best and farthest reception as possible. From a D9000 to an HD1850 to a CM 2084 I've read deep fringe blue zone on all of them but which would work for me and why?
Would I need a booster and between ones that say 16db or 29db??? What would work?
There are so many of them too?
Gravity pulls me toward the biggest antenna 180 inch and the strongest preamp?
And whats the dif between these square looking antennas and the old style with all the bars.I've read they are only red zone but claim to be the best??
Maybe for an apartment dweller but they don't state that?
So you see as a new OTA thinker I'm totally confused after reading all kinds of sites for a week
post #51 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-05-27, 09:22 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi northboy and welcome here - time to end your confusion! Before we go any further with advice make sure to click on the links in this post to get started. I've also merged your thread into the OTA Forum Reception Results thread that represents your area so you can read through the previous posts to see if anyone's experiences apply to your situation.

post #52 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-06-02, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.F.1 View Post
I'd also guess Global has a repeater.

Yes, they have a low power transmitter for both Global and CH. If memory serves me right, Global was on 11 and CH on 41.
post #53 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-06-11, 03:07 PM

South end of Barrie: No Reception for any digital

I'm in south end of Barrie.. and I can't seem to get any digital signals.. not even a single bar on my atsc signal strength meter. From reading, it seems that Barrie has their own channel (ch 3), but i can't even pick that up?

I am only using an indoor antenna (as I don't want to go through all the effort of outdoor to get nothing still)..
Indoor antenna is Nexxtech TV/HDTV/FM - looks like a mini satellite (model 1501880). Its located in front of a main floor window right now, but I've tried moving it to other locations as far as my cable can reach. The ATSC tuner card is a hauppauge 1600 PCI.

Is there a starting point on knowing where to turn or how much to turn the gain knob. or.. something? When i do the scan for digital channels with the ATSC.. it came back with nothing.. again not even a signal for anything.. I'm wondering if my ATSC tuner card is even working, but don't have a way to tell without picking something up.

I've read the list of channels most likely available in Barrie (based on that link given above), and none come up at all.. as if non-existent.
post #54 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-06-11, 05:04 PM
Veteran

3under4,

Unfortunately Barrie does not have any digital stations broadcasting yet.

The channel 3 station you are detecting is analog (CKVR) the local A-Channel affiliate. Their digital assignment will be channel 10 (VHF band), but as of a few months back they had no plans to look at digital implimentation pending the review (recent) of the television landscape by the CRTC.

The other two digital assignments for Barrie are CBLT-DT (ch. 33, CBC - english) and CBLFT-DT (ch. 42, CBC-french). Both are repeaters of their respective stations in Toronto. Neither are broadcasting at this time, and I don't believe we have heard any indications of when/if they will start.

I doubt you would have a shot at even CBC, which is the highest powered Toronto station (38kW) with that antenna. I would suggest turning the amplification completely off, since it is likely there for marketing purposes and is probably injecting more noise than anything else. Try pointing your antenna towards the CN Tower, but at > 80 Kilometers it would be lucky (and unreliable) at best with that antenna.

Reception of Toronto, and maybe some Buffalo stations, is possible in Barrie. But you would need a high gain outdoor UHF antenna and some elevation. If you could buy a proper outdoor antenna that allows has a good return policy (wink, wink, ), you might be able to test the reception at your house.

You might have to wait until the OTA stations in Barrie start broadcasting digital otherwise.

good luck.
post #55 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-06-11, 07:42 PM
Veteran

You will need an outdoor antenna on the roof for any reception of Toronto.You can try connecting your antenna to an analog TV and see if you can receive anything from Toronto 5,9,19,25,41,52,57,69.If you dont receive any analogs from Toronto then your not going to get any digitals.CKVR will not be digital for a few years.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
post #56 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-06-12, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the info! At least I know I can stop fiddling with the direction of the antenna now.
post #57 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-06-12, 02:43 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
I've read the list of channels most likely available in Barrie
If it was the list I've linked below, you have to read the title page which says that the list includes present and future channel assignments. When you look at the table entries you can see the ERP (Effective Radiated Power) column for each channel, and if it is zero or empty the channel is not broadcasting at this time:

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...a_TV_Stations/

post #58 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-08-21, 11:10 PM
DPD

Hey Guys

I just recently moved to Barrie. After reading this theard it seems like I am out of luck, but was wondering if I picked up the RCA CANT711 or RCA AMPLIFIED TV/FM ANTENNA what type of HDTV programming is available here. I will be living South end of Barrie, almost in Innisfil East of the 400, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
post #59 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-08-22, 12:11 PM

Theres no reason why you shouldn't be able to get all the Toronto digitals with a good setup, so you'd get CTVHD, CBCHD, CITYHD, SRCHD, SUNHD
post #60 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-11-15, 12:54 AM

Yaamon I have the exact same setup with a yagi and vhf antenna as in the photos on a 48 ft tower with a 5 foot pole I believe. I wanted to put on a 7778 and was informed to stay with a spartan3? 300ohm in with 75ohm out that way I didn't need a transfomer at the antenna? I would like to possibly setup the same as in the picture let me know what he is getting for signals now? But I do need to ditch my RG59.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in