ON - Barrie, Muskoka, Sault Ste. Marie, Northern Ontario - OTA - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 763 (permalink) Old 2006-12-07, 09:56 PM

stampeder: I thank you for all of your hard work in the Digital Home OTA community and your plotting of the Soo stations, believe it or not I have a copy at home and at work. I've been referring to like a document handed down by the OTA gods themselves. (I guess it is) About the outdoor antenna, unfortunately, I am unable to mount one to my roof, so I am stuck with an indoor antenna for the time being.

I have found that Channel 9 WGTQ is not transmitting at full power yet, the strongest signal I have been able to receive is maybe about 3 bars at the Pine St, Marina,(46°30'3.64"N 84°18'15.99"W approximately 590 ft above sea level) with the small omni directional antenna that was supplied with my Hauppauge Win-TV HVR-950 and about 4 bars at the top of Goulais Ave Hill (46°34'23.42"N 84°23'0.79"W approximately 1000ft above sea level)
I may have to invest in a VHF antenna for this channel, but in the meantime I will continue my adventures in OTA DTV in Sault Ste Marie.

by the way my location is (46°32'39.67"N 84°20'6.47"W)

Last edited by scooterbike; 2006-12-07 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 763 (permalink) Old 2006-12-08, 01:16 AM

isn't ABC broadcasting on digital 56 in that area as well?
post #33 of 763 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 10:50 AM

Just read your post TeePee,abd it's very encouraging.
I live a footballs throw N/E in Horseshoe Valley,which has a higher elevation,but more interference(valleys/trees).Are you in the area of Crown Hill that can see clear across to Blue Mountain?
Anyway,I am wondering about trying your hook up.
The FS "expert" said I had a snowball's chance of getting anything in Horseshoe..would like to prove him wrong.
Incidenatally,what HD signals do you pull from T.O.?

post #34 of 763 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 11:49 AM

Basically you'll either get CBC or you won't from up there. But CTV is completely out of question, no-one in Buffalo can even get it.
post #35 of 763 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 12:05 PM

Horseshoe Valley between Barrie and Orillia

026123..don't know if you were referring to my location,but I know Teepee's,and he is only about 10k s/w of me.One of the higher elevations in Ontario.
I'm at the top of HSV Ski Resort,near the old war time communications center.There are a lot of tranmission towers(cell etc) all around us too.Anyway,it's probably worth a shot.
post #36 of 763 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 02:28 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

I think you will need the deepest fringe prescription, liquorpig. TeePee's already running the CM4228 with a strong CM7777 preamp, but I'd suggest a stacked pair of CM4228s running into a Winegard AP8275 on a tower about 40 or more feet up.

If you want the VHFs you could mount a Wade-Delhi VIP 307 up there with it, feeding into the same preamp.

If you want to pull out all the stops you should try to run the least possible amount of RG11 cabling down to a brand new state-of-the-art STB tuner like the Samsung H260F rather than a built-in tuner.

post #37 of 763 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 04:08 PM

Thanks Stampeder.
Ouch...I'm seeing $$ signs.
I was hoping Teepee's prescription would work for my area too(10k as crow flies ),but as mentioned,Crown Hill has some areas that you can see for miles S/W.
Not so here,despite the extra elevation.Have to add up the bill to weigh it out,but thanks so much for the expertise.
post #38 of 763 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 04:32 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

It could be that TeePee's gear would do fine for you, but when I looked at the area on a relief map it seemed that he's on the edge of the south-facing rise, which works in his favour. You know the area better than I do, of course, so if the top of your tower sees south, then give his gear a try.

post #39 of 763 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 04:47 PM

I guess my question is,how far does the "view" have to be unimpeded for a good signal.
You are right,thatTeepee is at the beginning of a south facing rise.
The rise continues(guessing 200' extra vertical),but begins to get forested towards me over that the 10km.
I will not have a totally unimpeded south facing view(only about 1km until you hit objects...ie subdivision/forest).
Still think it's worth a shot?
Thanks again
post #40 of 763 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 04:50 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

The trees will kill off a fair amount of UHF signal at such a far distance, but VHF will mostly go right through them. Yup, I think you'd need to bring out the big guns ($$$). The gear would pay for itself in less than 2 years compared to paying for BEV or SC for that same time, but you'd have to decide which fits your needs best.

post #41 of 763 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 08:51 PM
Veteran

My Uncle lives 2Km west of Orillia and with a 40 foot tower with combo antenna receives all the Toronto analog signals perfectly clear except Sun.That includes City-tv analog.That said the contour B service area for analog CTV and CBC reach Orillia while the digital contours don't quite reach Barrie because of low power and won't be able to penetrate many objects like trees.With being on high ground,40 foot tower,High gain UHF antenna and preamp Toronto digitals are do-able.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .

Last edited by rob50312; 2006-12-20 at 08:51 PM. Reason: error
post #42 of 763 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 11:37 PM

Ya if your location is right between Barrie and Orillia, then thats only 60 miles to Toronto, which isn't that far actually.

Get a good antenna with a good preamp on a 40 foot tower, and a nice clear path towards Toronto, you'll get yourself CBC and probably CTV without any trouble, I would say the third easiest channel to get would be CBC-F, their transmitter is high up and at 2.5kW but i would be surprised if that one came in for ya, along with the other low power stations, City and Sun.

- you may be able to get the two OMNI's when they are back up though, although they are lacking height, so that may be a problem.
post #43 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-01-03, 10:56 AM

liquorpig - sorry I took so long to answer, haven't checked in for a while.
I am just east of Crown Hill, so you are correct. The tower is not too tall, next year a taller tower will go up and I'll probably put up a more serious OTA system. I already have her highness' blessings.
It will be primarily a ham radio tower but the 4228 will be right at the top. I will probably add something for VHF too, and maybe go with some RG-11.
As a downside I am splitting to 2 tv's, there's 3.5db loss right there.
I get all the Toronto digitals , sometimes I have issues with CITY, and no Sun TV. 026163 I don't see why CTV should be a problem, it is not as strong as CBC but still fine. All the analogues are good from Toronto and out to Peterborough.
post #44 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 09:33 AM

Question OTA Channels in sudbury

Does anyone know if it is possible to get any OTA channels in Sudbury, Ontario?

Thanks in advance.

Andy
post #45 of 763 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 09:36 AM
Member #1

Did you check the OTA FAQ. It should give you the info you need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in