ON - Barrie, Muskoka, Sault Ste. Marie, Northern Ontario - OTA - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #256 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-11-17, 09:40 PM

gbswiercz, according to your TV Fool results, all stations are blocked by at least 2 obstructions in the terrain (2edge). All but 6 channels in the list suffer from co-channel interference, of another station broadcasting on the same frequency. You only have one station with a noise margin (signal strength compared to interference), that has a value above zero (0.7).

A pre-amp would seem to be a waste of money for you, as it's only to amplify usable signals to survive the transport through your cables/splitters. The signal levels you are getting at you location are extremely weak.

I tried changing your antenna height, but it didn't improve things much, except for the stations you're already getting.

I'm not familiar with the gain of your antenna, or whether it even supports UHF, but CFTO 54 & TVO 42 don't seem out of the question. CFTO 54 is only slightly weaker at your location than CKVR CH3, except it's UHF. If you get CH 5 though, which should be almost never, according to your TV fool report........

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-11-18 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-11-18, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the info. x4mer,
I don't have any data for the antenna, I have found a pdf sheet which states gain charts are available on Wade's webiste, but the data doesn't reside there anymore. The mast mount preamp included with the antenna is likely low grade, and the high noise ratio is killing the signal when it is used (per your comments). The antenna does have UHF elements, but no reflector, so the range is likley quite limited. Not sure if i can add a reflector, or if this would help. A deep fringe set up is likley needed, but i'm going to experiment at home (Brantford) with a DB8 set up (for HDTV), and this may form the basis of a new cottage set up after the Digital changeover occurs in Canada.
Thanks Again....Greg
post #258 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-11-18, 09:50 PM

Question ON/QC North Bay, Temiscaming area

Just registered on this site and would like to know if anybody could tell me what signals I can get in Temiscaming QC? Temiscaming is about 85KM north of North Bay ON. Any suggestions on what kind of equipment I should use would also be appreciated. I already have a satellite box with a built in tuner. Thanks for your help.

post #259 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-11-19, 12:42 AM
Veteran

Go to the TV Foool website and type in your address for "free TV". Don't worry that it wants a state- just type in your city (e.g., North Bay) and the street you live on or nearest major street.

I just did it for fun: 530 Kipawa, Temiscaming, 25 feet high antenna- I got 5 channels but only 2 or 3 look receiveable- you might get more for your location and more height.

91XG (47'), YA-1713 (42'), CPA-19, DB4e (37'); Denon AVR-1312

Last edited by goforit; 2009-11-19 at 12:49 AM. Reason: TV Fool results added
post #260 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-11-19, 08:38 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Go to the TV Foool website and type in your address for "free TV". Don't worry that it wants a state- just type in your city (e.g., North Bay) and the street you live on or nearest major street.
In fact, you can type your entire address into either box on the form and the Google Maps API will find the location for you -- for ex. just type 123 Main Street, Ottawa, ON into either the address box or the city box, and it will work.
post #261 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-11-23, 06:29 PM
Rookie

No analog in Soo, Mi since moving to all digital in June. You can get the digital stations from SSM, MI just fine. No word on Soo, ON digital.
post #262 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-12-04, 01:19 PM
Veteran

Digital TV in the Soo

Anyone using an antenna to get digital signals in the Soo? What gear are you using and what US channels in digital can you get?

My brother in-law is thinking of getting an OTA set-up and I was wondering what he could get. He's on the hill near Metallo's on Northern Ave./ Wilson.

Here's the TV Fool link:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7721cf4ce88da7

It looks good for CBS and ABC, but other US networks look bleak- PBS, NBC, FOX.

Anyone know if the coverage/transmitting areas are going to change?

post #263 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-12-04, 06:06 PM
Veteran

Soo OTA

After a little digging, I found out that FOX (WFQX) broadcasts on the sub-station of WWUP CBS (10.1) as 10.2. WWUP is a very strong signal so it should be no problem, however, I don't think WFQX and WWUP can both be HD. As for NBC, it looks like the closest transmitter is WTOM out of Cheboygan- signal strength is 78kW. I looked at the TV Fool data and it looks like some signal does reach the Soo- on the hill and Hiawatha more. It helps that there are less interfering/adjacent channels. Analog 2 and 5 look very strong and could cause problems- which might need attenuation.

Just found out that NBC is a sub-channel of the ABC station- WGTQ (8.1), so you can get NBC digital in the Soo on 8.2.

So for OTA US digital in the Soo you can get:

ABC 8.1
NBC 8.2
CBS 10.1
FOX 10.2
(no PBS)

plus all the regular Canadian analogs.

Cheers!

post #264 of 763 (permalink) Old 2010-01-03, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x4mer View Post
gbswiercz, according to your TV Fool results, all stations are blocked by at least 2 obstructions in the terrain (2edge). All but 6 channels in the list suffer from co-channel interference, of another station broadcasting on the same frequency. You only have one station with a noise margin (signal strength compared to interference), that has a value above zero (0.7).

A pre-amp would seem to be a waste of money for you, as it's only to amplify usable signals to survive the transport through your cables/splitters. The signal levels you are getting at you location are extremely weak.

I tried changing your antenna height, but it didn't improve things much, except for the stations you're already getting.

I'm not familiar with the gain of your antenna, or whether it even supports UHF, but CFTO 54 & TVO 42 don't seem out of the question. CFTO 54 is only slightly weaker at your location than CKVR CH3, except it's UHF. If you get CH 5 though, which should be almost never, according to your TV fool report........
I finally got around to trying the Kitztech I picked up for my "experiment" at home (Brantford), and you were right - the pre-amp didn't help. After some tweaking (without the pre-amp), I am able to pick some uhf channels. My reception lists is as follows.

The "good" channels -

The "ok" channels - watchable but less than ideal at all times

The "iffy" channels - sometimes watchable
4,7,8 (6 - Ottawa trop only.)

Haven't been able to get 42 at all.

Not bad for an "urban" antenna on a rotor. I have a clone of the "old" 4221 (Antra) which I'll play with during the spring, to see if it's better for uhf, but there's not much uhf available anyway. I don't go north to watch TV, but it's nice to have some viewing available on winter nights.

Cheers...
post #265 of 763 (permalink) Old 2010-03-05, 10:50 AM
Rookie

Barrie newbie

Hello Everyone.

I am located in Barrie and I have been reading this and other sites and have a question that I hope someone can answer for me...

I want to place an Antenna up on my roof...approx 25-30 ft and I am debating between a DB8 or a CM4228HD....

Now Tvfool has me listed on their website with the following details:

CN tower : Path = 2 edge. 50.5 miles. NM = -15.6
Buffalo : Path = 2 edge. 97.8 miles. NM = -13.7

Now reading they say the NM is the important part to review....As you take the gain of the Antenna, subtract the NM from the tower and whatever you get for line interference...

So if I were to get a antenna like the DB8 that shows a max gain of 15.8 then I am SOL for getting these towers....A little more explanation from someone on this issue would be appreciated if I am wrong.

If someone might have a insight on these two antenna's I would appreciate it...I have read the remarks from the manufacture of the DB8 on here and other specifications...but still not committed on what would be the best antenna for my situation and location.

thanks
post #266 of 763 (permalink) Old 2010-03-05, 11:57 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hi and welcome - can you post the link to your TVFool result?

Also is your rooftop capable of holding a 20 to 30 foot antenna mast or tower? Most are not.

See the Antenna Chart for my Deepest Fringe prescription:

post #267 of 763 (permalink) Old 2010-03-05, 01:03 PM
Rookie

Thanks Stampeder...

Here is my TVfool results
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b7c89c6ca4441c

I have a high pitch on the one side of my home where the roof meets in a peak....I was going to use an old satellite mast and anchor it into the side of the house to secure it. Wife will not allow a tower.
post #268 of 763 (permalink) Old 2010-03-05, 01:31 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

You need to read through this thread then to understand the challenges of a safe antenna mount:

OTA Mounts, Towers, Rigging Hardware

and there is also the very important issue of grounding it:

Grounding Info & Standards: OTA/Dish/CATV/Telecom

cheers

post #269 of 763 (permalink) Old 2010-03-05, 01:32 PM
Rookie

So checking out your antenna listing guide, you recommend the 4228hd (modified)...which I am currently reading up on right now...But I am considering the DB8 as well.....

I will probably pickup a pre-amp as well and run it all into my Nfusion HD on my tv...

With my setup of mounting it to my peak of my house...25-30 ft up on a old satellite mast (the ones from the 18 inch dishes)....will it work? Would using a rotor also allow for me to rotate it around?

Am I in trouble since having the barrie broadcasting antenna it might not allow for me to pickup the T.O. or even buffalo stations? I have read in this posting a couple of people in the barrie area getting stations here or there......

Bottom line I am trying to figure out if I should go the OTA antenna route...
thanks
post #270 of 763 (permalink) Old 2010-03-05, 01:39 PM
Rookie

I would ground directly into my panel box as i run all my satellite groundsinto that box anyways....so a good solid ground will be no problem.

I am not going to be using some 10x3 wood screws in order to hold the mast with the antenna on my house....I will ensure i use some nice big hardy bolts to more than likely secure it right to the side of the house into the frame of my roof....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in