ON - Barrie, Muskoka, Sault Ste. Marie, Northern Ontario - OTA - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-02-13, 06:22 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Tuner View Post
I haven't looked into it anywheres else, but does anyone know if there is any digital OTA signal(s) that can be picked up in Thunder Bay OR when there may be some coming available?
There aren't any Canadian DTV stations in Thunder Bay yet and probably won't be until 2011 (I will leave it to another thread to discuss why I think this).

As for American stations, I did a generic analysis for Thunder BayTVFool and there aren't any that you can currently receive, but post transition there is one very weak signal (WBKP on channel 5). It hasn't applied to shut down its analog transmitter on or before February 17, so you will likely have to wait until June.

Your exact location will make a huge difference as to your chances of receiving this station and so I recommend you use TVFool to do an analysis for your exact location. You can do this either by entering your address and "Thunder Bay, ON" as the city (leaving the State blank), or better yet, enter your exact coordinates. It will also list some Canadian stations, which you can ignore as they are not broadcasting yet as I mentioned above (their data for Canadian stations is inaccurate).

If you can post the results of this analysis, we can better help you determine your chances. I wouldn't get your hopes up, as the signal level for the generic analysis was too weak for reliable reception, but you might be in a better location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-02-14, 09:44 PM

Oro, ON (north of Barrie)

Well I have been enjoying my beautiful reception of analog off air on the combo vhf/uhf/fm antenna for over a year. tower 40 feet up and a booster and rotor etc. All good. Bought a tv that had no atsc tuner. HD capable with 16:9 screen Looks beauti for DVD's. I bought an ATSC tuner from USA anticipating the USA changes. It has lots of features.

I ran two full channel search scans and nothing. I'm perplexed. Should I not be able to see some? One? If I got wben for instance and they are switching over soon or maybe have already, should I not be able to see something?

What from USA off air would there be able to roll up over those ontario hills to ma house. Ma tv she no look too good with no digital stations. Am I maybe just too ahead of the plan?

I wonder why I see nothing after the scan comes up saying no stations.

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-02-15 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Post merged with similar one in Newcomers Forum
post #153 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-02-14, 10:24 PM

Have you checked your TV Signal Locator with TVFool ?
http://tvfool.com/index.php?option=c...pper&Itemid=29

post #154 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-02-14, 11:35 PM
Veteran

Northboy your not likely to get any US digital OTA as they are all in the UHF band,which does not have the same range as low band VHF .Can you receive any uhf analog from Buffalo 17,23,29.The Toronto digitals are all currently using UHF also.If you can receive analog UHF from Toronto then you should be able to receive digital 20 CBLT from Toronto which is currently the strongest digital signal you could receive.No digital signals currently from the Barrie area until 2011.The Toronto digitals are currently not using full power status thus less range then old analog signals.

Attic CM 4248 at Buffalo,M4 at Buffalo.VHF yagis at Toronto .
post #155 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-02-14, 11:43 PM
Veteran

Also Northboy did you set your tuner to scan for OTA setting and not QAM for digital cable.Align your antenna for analog 19 tvo Toronto and then do a scan for CBLT-dt 20 Toronto.Both signals from the same transmit antenna on the CN Tower.But analog 19 is >1000kw vs 38kw for cblt digital.You should get CBLT-dt if you get a good signal on uhf 19 tvo Toronto.

post #156 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-02-16, 04:49 PM
Veteran

Don't hold your breath!! You're not going to get much digital OTA in Orillia.
post #157 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-02-18, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob50312 View Post
Northboy your not likely to get any US digital OTA as they are all in the UHF band,which does not have the same range as low band VHF .Can you receive any uhf analog from Buffalo 17,23,29.The Toronto digitals are all currently using UHF also.If you can receive analog UHF from Toronto then you should be able to receive digital 20 CBLT from Toronto which is currently the strongest digital signal you could receive.No digital signals currently from the Barrie area until 2011.The Toronto digitals are currently not using full power status thus less range then old analog signals.
Yes got all those stations
My post said I have big ant.booster etc.
TVO picture clear
Still no digital on ATSC tuner
Tuner set correctly.
Has HDMI output too for 1080i
Wish I could see some
All other boxes are low res, and no hdmi out.
Just where are the Digi's
post #158 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-02-18, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbracing24 View Post
Don't hold your breath!! You're not going to get much digital OTA in Orillia.
That'd be self induced suicide?
Zero digital stations
post #159 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-02-18, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob50312 View Post
Also Northboy did you set your tuner to scan for OTA setting and not QAM for digital cable.Align your antenna for analog 19 tvo Toronto and then do a scan for CBLT-dt 20 Toronto.Both signals from the same transmit antenna on the CN Tower.But analog 19 is >1000kw vs 38kw for cblt digital.You should get CBLT-dt if you get a good signal on uhf 19 tvo Toronto.
Yes bro
I am technician for broadcast audio.
Setting the wee box is no brainer.

But not OTA ATSC which doesn't seam to be there.
Need a magic wand.
If the wee tuner which has a cool 1080i HDMI output could see it from my UHF huge ant. up 40 feet with a booster getting all kinds of great analog, I guess I'd see some joy.
DVD's will wear out by the time they start shoveling me the copy on DTV in 2011
In case wondering
SHARP TV 16:9 HDTV ready NTSC tuner though.
Was given....I woulda bought a fancy high HZ jobby..for mucho bananaskins.
No need till I get some free DTV.
I've never subscribed to rip off cable.....ever. Never will
post #160 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-02-18, 10:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
TVO picture clear
What channel are you getting TVO? I doubt you're getting it from Toronto, as there are much closer repeaters to where you are than ch 19 from Toronto.
Quote:
AFAIK, there aren't any antennas big enough to pull a 6 MHz channel 15 dB below the thermal noise floor, and provide another 15 dB headroom in order to barely decode an ATSC signal. But then, I'm just basing this on running the TVFool signal locator for Oro-Medonte, ON. Your preeise location may differ, but your digital results seem to agree.

Do you get any snow-free or almost snow-free analog stations from Toronto, Hamilton, Rochester or Buffalo? If not, you won't be getting any digital stations before 2011 at the earliest. (And I'm not talking about the analog CBC, SRC, TVO, CH, CTV relays in Barrie, Wiarton, and Orillia.)
post #161 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-02-22, 01:50 PM
Veteran

Northboy I wonder if your astc tuner box is broken.My relative 5km west of Orillia gets all the Toronto analogs perfect but has no ASTC tuner.WNLO Buffalo digital signal is stronger than their analog signal.Analog 23 digital 32.You should get CBLT-dt 20 Toronto.Maybe your digital tuner is being overloaded .Try an antenuator on it.Test your box at someones house where they can receive astc.

post #162 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-04-01, 09:34 PM

Wasaga Beach

Hey out there I'm pretty much a newbie at OTA so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about what I could receive at Wasaga Beach. Could I get Toronto stations or am I better to point it at the US. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #163 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-04-02, 02:31 PM
Veteran

Maybe TO and maybe, just maybe wnlo from grand island.

Check TV Fool- punch in your address, no postal code needed.

91XG (47'), YA-1713 (42'), CPA-19, DB4e (37'); Denon AVR-1312
post #164 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-04-02, 02:42 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Also check out the Ontario listings for every area nearby that you can find on it:

http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...a_TV_Stations/

post #165 of 763 (permalink) Old 2009-04-02, 05:03 PM

You might also want to use this visual OTA tool created by a DHC member.

http://www.sjmillerconsultants.com/ota/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in