MB/SK - Winnipeg, Brandon, Regina, Saskatoon, Prairies - OTA - Page 78 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1156 of 1170 (permalink) Old 2018-04-20, 11:08 AM
Rookie

Reception close to Southern Border Question

I've recently moved close to the Canadian border on the US side -- Saint Vincent, MN (Across the Red River from Pembina). In researching what outdoor antenna I'll need to put up at this location, I was looking at what could realistically be expected to be received from Winnipeg. Initial analysis at TVFool, RabbitEars, etc suggests that only CKY is a realistic, reliable option - with the other Winnipeg stations not being an option (at least a reliable, realistic option).

I did find somebody over in the Fargo, ND thread over at AVS who lives just across the border in Emerson, MB who seemed to confirm this, although he admitted that his antennas point south and he receives CKY off the back of his antenna. He did state, however, that even when trying for Winnipeg he isn't able to get anything other than CKY.

Before writing off the rest of the stations, I thought I would ask here. I know that real-world results vs TVFool results can sometimes be different. For any of you in southern Manitoba near the border, does the above mimic your results as well? Only CKY being reliable? I guess I have no interest in going to extreme measures in pulling in stations that are only receivable during the evening hours, for example. So I was just going to look at VHF-only as that would cover CKY (7), WDAZ (8), and of course KNRR (12) and forget about the UHF Winnipeg channels based on reception maps. But for those of you near the border on the Canadian side - reliable OTA of Winnipeg starts and ends with CKY?
Cham likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1157 of 1170 (permalink) Old 2018-04-23, 12:17 AM

@easathor , I would try for channel 13 VHF, and of course 7 (CKY) since you have line-of-sight to their antenna and far enough from WDAZ (channel 8) to avoid interference. Signals from the UHF stations from Winnipeg are really strong but you are getting close to the horizon at St Vincent, but maybe a decent UHF antenna above tree height might just work. I am about 22mi north of you and I get all the Winnipeg UHF channels here with a home-made SBGH up around 40 feet or so. Just depends how badly you want to pick up the farther UHF stations.

Getting 13 from St Vincent might be tricky though with 12 being really close, but if you can get 12 in a null and some gain to the NNW you might just pick it up.
I am about 20mi north of you and pick up WDAZ and KNRR just fine on VHF, and KX4 quite often on UHF but not really reliably, but my UHF antenna favors the north. I have a VHF/UHF antenna I hope to install soon pointed south that might pick up KX4 and (NBC) from that tower reliably to complement WDAZ and KNRR.

There is one channel on a tower on the south side of Winnipeg that is really strong here, CIIT, on 35.1 UHF. If you can pick that one up with a mediocre gain UHF antenna you might just have some luck with the others with a good preamp, some height, and some antenna gain.

Good luck!

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...
post #1158 of 1170 (permalink) Old 2018-06-19, 01:47 PM

Anyone notice a drop in signal from channel 13 (City TV)? I have line-of-sight to transmitter, usually really strong here from my bi-directional grey-hoverman antenna or VHF yagi. Other channels are typical readings for signal/noise including other distant VHF/UHF signals from the US so I don't think it is band conditions, unless someone else on 13 has improved thair station and is interfereing...?

post #1159 of 1170 (permalink) Old 2018-06-19, 04:43 PM

I had a problem with city tv on Sunday in Winnipeg. All the other channels were ok. I haven't watched it much recently.
post #1160 of 1170 (permalink) Old 2018-06-24, 01:55 PM

City TV, coming in ok today but not very strong, just enough to play without breaking up... well almost just notice it is breaking up once in a while. They must have had to drop transmitter power or have other troubles at their site.

post #1161 of 1170 (permalink) Old 2019-03-31, 05:51 PM

Is there anyone who lives in south Winnipeg who has a working set-up to receive KNRR from Pembina ND on a consistent basis?? If so, what make and model of antenna, how many dB gain from the booster, and height of antenna in relation to surrounding environment? Thanks.
post #1162 of 1170 (permalink) Old 2019-04-01, 10:11 PM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo View Post
Is there anyone who lives in south Winnipeg who has a working set-up to receive KNRR from Pembina ND on a consistent basis??
Hello, rojo; welcome to the forum.

I don't live anywhere near you, but here is a TVFool signal report using an address in Linden Woods, postal code R3P 2E8:
TV Fool

Reception of KNRR looks possible at the above sample location, but a special VHF antenna, like the Stellar Labs 30-2476, and perhaps a custom filter will be needed.

The KNRR signal gets stronger as you move south from the center of Winnipeg, but some areas are better than others.

What is your postal code?

The KNRR signal is weaker at the center of Winnipeg because it is at the fringe of KNRR coverage:

You have adjacent channel interference to KNRR on real channel 12 from CHMI on 13, but the antenna will be aimed south which will make CHMI weaker.

If you use a preamp for KNRR, it will probably be overloaded by CKY on 7, which is almost in the same direction as KNRR. It might be necessary to order a custom filter from Tin Lee Electronics to make CKY weaker.

The VHF antenna can be kept separate and selected with an A/B switch or combined with a UHF antenna for your other channels from the NNE using a UVSJ UHF/VHF combiner.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 2019-04-02 at 10:03 AM.
post #1163 of 1170 (permalink) Old 2019-04-22, 10:47 PM

post #1164 of 1170 (permalink) Old 2019-04-25, 10:12 PM

13 is very strong, you need a really good signal from 12 to pick it up with most TV set receivers. Same with channel 8 WDAZ it's next to 7 which is very strong in the area between Winnipeg and the US border.
Selectivity on these ATSC receivers is not the best. The filter(s) and antennae @rabbit73 suggests would help, a lot to spend with unknown results. I am much closer to the US border than Winnipeg and still need a separate directional antenna and receiver to pick up 12 (and 8).
You could try building your own yagi antenna for ch 12, there are lots of web sites that have measurements for home-building antennas. Need side-lobe rejection as well as gain that yagis are fairly good for. Certainly a great learning experience if you are at all interested in RF.

post #1165 of 1170 (permalink) Old 2019-05-01, 09:38 PM

Is anybody having issues with Global Winnipeg? I have got no signal. Only CTV is working today.
post #1166 of 1170 (permalink) Old 2019-05-01, 09:53 PM

Thanks for mentioning that. I was recording SEAL Team on Global from my antenna and the signal died at 8:11. CTV, Citytv and CBC English are fine.
post #1167 of 1170 (permalink) Old 2019-05-01, 11:06 PM

I just checked Global Winnipeg and the signal is coming in fine again.
post #1168 of 1170 (permalink) Old 2019-05-02, 10:09 PM

It's fine today here. Even CBC & CityTV is coming through here today
post #1169 of 1170 (permalink) Old 2019-06-08, 11:21 AM

CKY off air?

No channel 7 CKY this am. Maybe a lightning strike last night? Hope they are back soon.

post #1170 of 1170 (permalink) Old 2019-06-09, 11:34 AM

I checked CKY a few times yesterday morning and it was off the air for me as well. I checked again this morning and it's working again.
Cham likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in