Central/Eastern USA, Gulf Coast, Mexico, Caribbean - Page 19 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #271 of 277 (permalink) Old 2018-06-28, 09:27 PM
Veteran

Considering the distance and terrain, those are actually pretty good values. I have closer stations with similar values. The main concern is with it being 2-edge. That can result in loss of signal due to multipath or more distant stations interfering during tropo events.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 277 (permalink) Old 2018-06-30, 12:18 PM
Rookie

When it was on real channel 40, it was more sensitive to tropo events due to a strong channel 40 that was located in the Virginia beach area that is in nearly the same direction as 40/15 is to me. Since it has moved to 15, it doesn't drop out nearly as often.

Thanks all!
post #273 of 277 (permalink) Old 2018-06-30, 12:22 PM
Rookie

Thanks majortom,

I didn't realize that those percentage numbers could be directly related to the dBm and dB SNR values!

learn something new every day!

post #274 of 277 (permalink) Old 2018-06-30, 12:26 PM
Veteran

Yeah, the hdhomerun is one of the few consumer devices out there where the percentages actually
correlate to something meaningful...
I got that info from Trip back in the day, as discussed either here or on another forum...don't remember.
But is the basis for the modifications we made to 905shmick's bash script.
modifications discussed on and off from this post forward..

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-o...ussion-12.html

https://github.com/shmick/TV_Stuff

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #275 of 277 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 09:28 AM
Rookie

Hello, new poster from Central Connecticut USA. I'm primarily looking for a recommendation on an antenna to replace my current flat one.

TVFool link is here: TV Fool
My house faces North-West, so that makes angle determination relatively easy. You can see the majority of channels are front-facing, with a few off to the left.

The flat antenna I have now is a Wineguard FL5500 flat antenna, just hanging over a curtain rod, facing forwards. Due to the relatively strong signals I get (and we are up on a hill) I'm getting pretty decent signal overall to my two Tivo units (via basic splitter). Picture and signal is good, but we get minor dropouts here and there on some channels (mostly ABC real channel 10) which is all I'm looking to solve. Of course, this is high VHF so I need an antenna for that.

I'm only interested in improving my signal on the existing, pretty strong channels. Not looking to pick up much in the fringes. A few channels are missing from the TVFool report, but if we can improve signal on the major networks then I expect it would be a little better on those anyway, so I'm not concerned.

So the questions:
1) What antenna would be recommended? I'm happy to build, but I don't want to waste my time with a complicated design and end up with no benefit.
2) I ran across a few angled SH (superhawk) antennas by holl_ands, and liked the bi-directional nature on the back side, which matches the 70-degree angle of my desired stations. SH is also what was recommended by the antenna guide. I think, the V would be open "backwards" in my application.
3) Again, just to keep it simple (I don't expect to need much complexity) I was trying to avoid a reflector plane...
4) I saw a few people build one using metal tape on a flat board... this would be easiest since I can simply tape-out the pattern and then bend the board (and tape) to get an angle... hence I was looking at the SH again. Is this workable, particularly due to my already pretty-strong signals? Or do I have to use wire/piping?
5) I also wonder, what is the typical gain of a flat antenna like the FL5500? This will help me decide how much gain I "need" for this application. I figure if I can get a little better, then I know I'm on the right track.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by apurohit8; 2019-07-28 at 12:21 PM.
post #276 of 277 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 03:20 PM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurohit8 View Post
Hello, new poster from Central Connecticut USA. I'm primarily looking for a recommendation on an antenna to replace my current flat one.
Hello, apurohit8; welcome to the forum.

Here is an image of your report:

For comparison, here is a report from rabbitears.info which should have a more accurate list of channels:

The Winegard FL5500 doesn't have much more gain on UHF than a dipole, and even less on VHF-High. IIRC, it comes with an amp, but if the signal coming from the antenna isn't good, the amp can make it stronger but not better quality; GIGO.

You will need an antenna with more gain for ABC because it is one of your weaker channels. It is also in a different direction. I suggest the VHF antenna be aimed at ABC and combined with your UHF antenna with a UVSJ.

I will let others suggest a DIY VHF antenna for ABC. A 5-element DIY Yagi for VHF-High might work. If it were my problem, I would buy a Stellar Labs 30-2475 from Newark.

You have two nearby FM transmitters that might interfere with the reception of ABC, but a filter should solve that problem.
http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/c...7/Radar-FM.png

Also, electrical interference (LED and CFL lamps, etc) is more likely to affect the reception of VHF channels than UHF channels.
apurohit8 likes this.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 2019-07-28 at 05:43 PM.
post #277 of 277 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 05:03 PM
Veteran

You might wanna try the biquad antenna, which is easy as it gets build wise, and small enough to fit in just about any size window. As demonstrated in the below .ppt.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Hh...Whe-IDtbCTriiQ

Regardless what you decide for an antenna, ur probably better off to use a 2nd story window for more height if possible. Hopefully you have standard glass windows, and not UV resistant Glass in your windows.
apurohit8 likes this.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.

Tags
antenna , ota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in