QC - West Island, Southwest QC, Cornwall and Eastern ON - OTA - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-08-19, 01:28 AM
Rookie

Kro

Thanks for the comments. I'll go with the CM 7778.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-09-23, 03:10 PM

Kro: What made you choose the 7778 over the 7777?

Hi Kro, this might seem like a stupid question but looking at your rig I must ask;

You have your CM-4221 hooked to the UHF input & the 10y13s to the VHF input of the CM-7778 preamplifier...right?

What made you choose the 7778 over the 7777?

And lastly, do you use a rotor?

Thanks in advance!
post #108 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-09-24, 10:35 AM
Kro

patook:
Quote:
You have your CM-4221 hooked to the UHF input & the 10y13s to the VHF input of the CM-7778 preamplifier...right?
Right.

Quote:
What made you choose the 7778 over the 7777?
1- The Cm7778 is less powerfull than the CM7777 (Less Overload).
2- Availability. (My prefered one for Montreal is the Wineguard AP-2870)
3- I'm not using a Rotor the CM-4221 has a very large beam so there's no need to turn it. And my setup is in the Attic.

post #109 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-09-27, 11:03 PM

Dollard des ormeaux

Looking for anyone to help with HD OTA

I have a usb pinnacle HD pro tuner that worked marvelously well in the US (midwest area). I was able to get all available OTA HD channels using the antenna that came with the tuner. I am not able to get any HD channel, only analog channels in dollard the ormeaux. Is the reception so bad here or do I have to get a more powerful antenna.

Thanks
post #110 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-09-28, 02:42 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Hello vicelharrar, I've merged your post into this thread that has several people from Dollard and the surrounding areas who get Digital OTA TV reception from Montreal and the U.S.A.

post #111 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 11:02 PM
Rookie

Pointe-Claire

Hi everyone,

I am completely new to this subject, so please excuse me if my questions and comments seem really simple. I have been trying various types of antennae to get OTA channels. For those of you familiar with the YouTube videos, I made HD Antenna 1.0 (wire hangers), 2.0 (looped copper wire), and I bought an amplified indoor Philips antenna. Of the three, the wire hanger gave me the best result, as I was able to pick up an HD CBS channel for a very brief period of time- the other two only improved my UHF/VHF reception.

Is there any way I can get OTA channels using only an indoor antenna? If so, which is the best one, particularly for someone as far west as Pointe-Claire? Any comments would be much appreciated.
post #112 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 09:01 AM
Kro

Quote:
Is there any way I can get OTA channels using only an indoor antenna?
I know some people had success with the Zenith silver sensor (And clone). There a thread here .
Other than that if you have a balcony you could mount a CM-4221 on it.
post #113 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 01:30 PM
Rookie

Re: Pointe-Claire

Hi, Mavman,

I have a home-made SBGH (Single Bay Gray-Hoverman), and a Philip's silver sensor with a cheap preamp. I am using the antennae indoors. The SBGH picks up more channels and have fewer dropped-outs, but it is large and inconvenient to turn. I have been using the silver sensor, because it is smaller, and easier to reposition to aim towards CBC or towards Mt. Mansfield, for the American channels. The silver sensor, with the cheap preamp is "good enough" for me. I pick up CBC English and French, as well as NBC, CBS, FOX and PBS.

In Pointe-Claire, CBC may be a challenge, because of their low power. However, I believe Pointe-Claire is actually closer to Mt. Mansfield than downtown. You should be able to get the American channels. My silver sensor is picking them up through a gap between two buildings, a tree at that gap, and two walls (one interior and one exterior). NBC and PBS are usually so strong that it does not matter where I point the silver sensor, but FOX requires an accurate aim.
post #114 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 06:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhlam
However, I believe Pointe-Claire is actually closer to Mt. Mansfield than downtown.
Pointe-Claire is on the Montreal's West Island only 10 miles from downtown Montreal. It's about 80 miles from Mount Mansfield. (My house in Pointe-Claire is 79.5 miles from the Mt. Mansfield towers and 11.6 miles from the Mt. Royal towers)

As far as reception of the digital broadcasts from downtown Montreal is concerned (i.e. CBC, SRC, TQS), the signals cannot be received in Pointe-Claire because Mount Royal blocks the signals. It is the location of the transmission antennas, not the broadcast signal strength, that is the problem. Only the analogue signals of those stations (Channels 6, 12 and 35 respectively) can be received in Pointe-Claire because those transmitters are atop Mount Royal. This problem will exist until the digital transmitters are moved to the Mount Royal tower.

As far as the US stations are concerned, I receive all of the Mount Mansfield UHF stations, both analogue and digital, plus those from Terry Mountain NY and Lyon Mountain NY with an old Hoverman style antenna purchased at Radio Shack in 1970. It is mounted on my roof and is
paired with a 16 dB pre-amp. I do not use a rotator. The antenna is pointed partway between Mt. Mansfield and Lyon Mountain (West of Plattsburgh). The angle between the bearings from my house to those mountains is 42 degrees. I do not receive WVNY-DT on channel 13 because at the moment I do not have a functioning VHF antenna pointed in that direction.
post #115 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 07:13 PM
Rookie

Pointe-Claire

Hi, Brian_O,

Thanks for the correction. Obviously, i haven't check a map.
post #116 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-11-03, 11:07 AM

Advice for Cornwall ON.

I live in Cornwall, ON. It is on the New York border about and hour from Rochester, Ottawa, and Montreal. The city sits in a valley on the St. Lawrence river. I recently bought a new house and am now looking at installing a OTA system to complement my *C feed.

Unfortunately looking up information on Cornwall is almost imposable, on this forum I found 3 posts will the word Cornwall in them. Basically I have no idea what I need. What I want is at least CTV out of Ottawa, and any HD from the states if possible (HD OTA FOX would be awesome). I'm looking to spend around 100-200 for now, and my TV's all have Digital OTA tuners built in.

So with all that in mind can anyone help me with what sort of antenna and other equipment I need?
post #117 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-11-03, 12:23 PM

the people I know in Cornwall pick everything from Ottawa and Vermont but no CBC or radio-canada from Montreal. But as far as I know, they were getting the VT channels but they had the powerful Channel Master 4228 antenna with a preamp. And I don't know if you can get the channels from Rochester.

try tvfool with various call sigh for tv channels around you

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...&q=call%3dcbot

My digital setup: OTA tv, VOiP.ms+cisco spa2102, AEI.ca adsl, Koodo 45$ unlimited+1Gb, XBMC on hdmi dongle ( dx.com )
post #118 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-11-03, 12:39 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by morikaweb
Unfortunately looking up information on Cornwall is almost imposable, on this forum I found 3 posts will the word Cornwall in them. Basically I have no idea what I need
Sorry to hear about your troubles, morikaweb, but I think you missed the "Read This" announcement in the OTA Forum Have a look through this thread covering the Cornwall area and hopefully we can help to get you set up for OTA.

These links will give you tons of OTA information, including the Antenna Chart:

Last edited by stampeder; 2008-11-03 at 02:15 PM.
post #119 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-11-03, 02:29 PM
Veteran

Quote:
What I want is at least CTV out of Ottawa,
CTV Ottawa has yet to publish any plans for broadcasting digitally.
Analog CTV service to Cornwall is provided by the channel 8 trasnmitter in Lancaster, very nearby.
Quote:
and any HD from the states if possible (HD OTA FOX would be awesome). I'm looking to spend around 100-200 for now, and my TV's all have Digital OTA tuners built in.
In the short term, your chance for Fox HD is limited -- you may be able to get Fox from Mount Mansfield. In the longer term, the Watertown Fox relay in Massena (now it's only analog on ch.28) will convert to digital, and at that time you'll probably be able to pick it up in Cornwall with a good antenna.
You may have chance at NBC and CBS from Mount Mansfield with a 4228 or other deep fringe UHF antenna. And if you don't get CBS HD today on 53, you'll probably get it in September when it moves to channel 22, assuming you can get channel 22 WVNY analog today. (You need to null out CBOFT-DT from Ottawa on ch 22.)

For PBS, you should be able to get WNPI Norwood and WCFE Plattsburg no problem.
post #120 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-11-03, 03:00 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlurker
And if you don't get CBS HD today on 53, you'll probably get it in September when it moves to channel 22, assuming you can get channel 22 WVNY analog today. (You need to null out CBOFT-DT from Ottawa on ch 22.)
The other option for CBS HD is when WWNY reverts to 7 in February. He will also be able to get Fox in SD on 7.2 at the same time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in