QC - West Island, Southwest QC, Cornwall and Eastern ON - OTA - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-01-29, 04:36 PM
Rookie

Smile Roxboro

Hello to everyone, from Roxboro near the train station.
I decided to try OTA over the weekend, so i looked up alot of threads all over the place, reading as much as i could.

Already have a deep fringe combination antenna in the attic, (actually half of it, i removed 8 or so feet, it was to strong for local VHS) so here are my results for this location:

Before in analog with 12 way splits pointing 140° about SSE:

2,6,10,12,17,35,46,62 very good
22,29,33,57 with different levels of snow, all watchable

After analog with 8 way splits: (got to go out and get different splitters)
2,6,12,17,46 very good
10,22,29,33,35,62 have different level of problems, but most still watchable
Actually my 22 is worst than before, it is as strong but, there is this signal interfering

Added a Digital Stream HD3150 Plus ATSC tuner and CM7777 Pre Amp:
2.1, 3.1, 3.2, 5.1, 5.2, 33.1, 33.2, 33.3, 33.4, 35.1, 44.1, 44.2, 57.1, 57.2, 57.3
6.1(Not reliable so far))
22.1 ABC ( No Connections yet)

I had to remove my 4 way distribution amp,
I had to split 2 way right after the Pre amp CM7777, one to the HD3150+, and the other to different splits for the rest of the analog stuff.

The antenna is aimed south with a compass, alot of other positions with different results ( decided to have an overall 70% signal level ).

With a little bit of time on my hands, i tried to find ABC, re-installed the other half of the VHS antenna ( its 18' long, hard to move around ) and managed to point at all positions i suspected to be good, to no avail

So i just put everything back to it's best performance so far with the above results.

Ohh and with my + hundred scans, at one point there was a 10.1 and 10.2 that came in, just a signal ( no picture ) that was going up and down the same with the SNR. I guess they started to work on it somewhere.

Overall i'm very happy with the results.
Probably would have bought the Panasonic DVDR HDMI DIVX with a dual tuner that scans both analog and digital at the same time.
But hey, i'm still happy and will probably buy it anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-01-29, 04:48 PM
Kro

Quote:
Ohh and with my + hundred scans, at one point there was a 10.1 and 10.2
10.1 10.2 is ABC WTEN Albany. I'm sometime able to lock it.

Quote:
With a little bit of time on my hands, i tried to find ABC, re-installed the other half of the VHS antenna ( its 18' long, hard to move around ) and managed to point at all positions i suspected to be good, to no avail
If you can remove the low VHF (Have a high VHF antenna) part that will help you with overload.
post #48 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-01-29, 05:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
10.1 10.2 is ABC WTEN Albany. I'm sometime able to lock it.
To Bad i did not see the UHF channel when it scanned.
Well that's still pretty good for distance getting such a signal.
So you got a picture and everything, Wow, so another location for ABC is possible
Quote:
If you can remove the low VHF (Have a high VHF antenna) part that will help you with overload.
I did do the switch to seperate the VHS and UHF in the CM7777
I went back to combine because the channel i want to record tonight was getting worst,, it's analog, and i have not had the time to move those recordings to HDTV yet, it will happen
Still bugging me is the interference in my analog UHF ( it being worst on 22 )
There is this some sort of a Static Bar in the middle of the screen, on 22 it's light ( like snow ) others are darker to very dark bar accross the screen ( one bar ) i'll find it eventualy :-)

Last edited by DenisT; 2008-01-29 at 06:02 PM.

post #49 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 09:49 AM
Kro

Quote:
To Bad i did not see the UHF channel when it scanned.
Well that's still pretty good for distance getting such a signal.
So you got a picture and everything, Wow, so another location for ABC is possible
Last summer from may to september I was getting some signal 24/24 and occasionnaly I was getting a lock. By the way WTEN is on UHF 26 and 36 but the one that we can lock on the most often is 26.

Quote:
Still bugging me is the interference in my analog UHF ( it being worst on 22 )
There is this some sort of a Static Bar in the middle of the screen, on 22 it's light ( like snow ) others are darker to very dark bar accross the screen ( one bar ) i'll find it eventualy :-)
This is your pre-amp that is overloading. If you want to clear up thing you will need a notch filter (For UHF 17 and UHF 35) infront of your pre-amp. See the knowledge base for where you can get one.
post #50 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 11:13 AM
Kro

DenisT: For the pre-Amp overload until you get a notch filter you should attenuate the Signal you can try to add one or two splitter before the pre-Amp.
post #51 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 07:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro View Post
DenisT: For the pre-Amp overload until you get a notch filter you should attenuate the Signal you can try to add one or two splitter before the pre-Amp.
Thanks, i'll try to pick up a few splitters today and change my connections in different ways tomorrow. Especially like you wrote adding a splitter before the preamp.

There is another thing, my antenna is aimed toward a Major Transmission tower for Bell and many other equipment on it. The tower is maybe 300 feet from me, so my own antenna is way way under there equipments and my path is maybe 100 feet in front of it. During the rain i lost a few channels and my analog was a little better, (that interference was not present). Maybe i touched something :-)

Hummm this morning my analog 22 is better then ever ( no Bar ) and all my atsc work, Go figure
post #52 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 02:15 PM

I went to RAybel and picked up a CM 4228, I am extremely happy. I picked up all my channels(including 22.1) but with a stronger signal. My first scan revealed a new channel 54-1 but can't figure out where it is from.

For all of you wishing to get started - go for the CM 4228 this antenna is awesome.
post #53 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 05:42 PM

Sorry for the add-on but I forgot to mention that in addition to the channels I was recieving before, I am seeing two channels 54-1(mentioned before) and 23-1. I have no clue as to what these channels are.
post #54 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 10:14 PM

hommegrenouille,

I'm on Ile Perrot, acroos the water south of you and I'm picking up faint signals from Buffalo. (4228 and an in-line amp) I will start working on the system come spring.(adding a rotor and a proper pre-amp if needed.) I'm pretty sure that I will pick up Ottawa, I may try tomorrow or Saturday and post results for you.
post #55 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-02-04, 06:55 PM

Smog,

I have to be in the most difficult area to get good reception. I just purchased a 4228 and one of those GE inline amplifiers. I receive all of the US channels including channels from Watertown NY just south of Kingston.(originally thought it was Toronto/Buffalo)

What I did is use tie wraps to connect the rear screens tightly together, this was a suggestion I found somewhere among the forums, and 22.1 comes in solid, as well as 3.1 and all the others. From what I've read, tying the two sections close helps with VHF reception.
post #56 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-02-04, 09:49 PM

could you link me to the vhf trick, because i'm getting nothing on 22.1
post #57 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-02-04, 10:18 PM

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/cm4228.html

I hope the link is ok? This is one site that I've seen, I'll try to find the others for you. This helps with VHF reception.

Is you antenna outside and where are you located? Are you using amplification? is 13-1 coming in but not remapping?
post #58 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-02-05, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandrakeDar View Post
What I did is use tie wraps to connect the rear screens tightly together, this was a suggestion I found somewhere among the forums, and 22.1 comes in solid, as well as 3.1 and all the others. From what I've read, tying the two sections close helps with VHF reception.
I,ve done the screen tying but I had to weld them as they are now coated with paint.

anyway 22.1 is ok so no problem with VHF but 3.1 is UHF53 and this is where I'm having problems I think it's related to the "boost clipping" induced by the strong 17 and 35.

I get all analogs from montreal, burlington and sherbrooke. (and sherbrooke's are as clean as montreal's channels) so far no 57.x (but I don't care)

People may ask why we get better reception in the Laurentians ? : elevation at my antenna is 263 meter over sea level. This is the trick.

Location, Location, Location...
post #59 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-02-05, 08:24 AM

Smog.

FYI, I had to turn my antenna slightly west of south to pull in all channels. I would have to check to see if it was 44.1 or 3.1 that needed the adjustment.

Quote:
I think it's related to the "boost clipping" induced by the strong 17 and 35.
TQS is broadcasting at 13KW, so I'm not sure as to what you are saying, can you explain?(I am new to OTA)

What type of amplification are you using?

I am using that GE in-line amp, and one indoor distribution amp before my split to the two TV's. I have a long run from my roof, Ughhh!
post #60 of 1110 (permalink) Old 2008-02-05, 11:31 AM

a lot of people have to "notch" the power on some strong channels to allow full amplification on other weak channels. you can read some information about it if you search "Notch" and user "KRO". I have a 26db preamp that I can't use full power as it will saturate the same way an audio amp will create distortion if the input signal is too strong; right now it at half power until I can find a way to reduce signals from 17 and 35.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in