QC - Montreal (Eastern areas), Laval, Laurentides, Lanaudi¯re - OTA - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 1048 (permalink) Old 2006-11-30, 03:59 PM

in Ste-Dorothee too

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealmountain View Post
That sounds strange since WETK WCAX and WPTZ are coming form EXACTLY the same location. Mountain Lake is further wo the west. I am at Samson & Bord de L'Eau and luckily have no house blocking my system, but regardless of what I do I cannot get FOX. I look forward to hearing what results you have when you hook up the preamp.
Ted
I am in Ste-Dorothee too, just down on Bord-de-l'eau from the junction with Samson, I cannot get FOX either...

Also, to get DT channels below 13, do I need a VHF antenna or my 4228 is enough? I do not seem to be able to get a lock on channels below 12.1
Do you have a preamp ? My antenna is in the attic...

For now, I get CBFT-DT(SRC), CBMT-DT(CBC), WCFE(PBS), VPT, WPTZ(is that ABC? can't remember)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1048 (permalink) Old 2006-11-30, 08:45 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotte View Post
Also, to get DT channels below 13, do I need a VHF antenna or my 4228 is enough? I do not seem to be able to get a lock on channels below 12.1
A CM4228 is very good on channels 7 to 13 VHF. A UHF-only preamp will ruin that, but a UHF/VHF preamp will give what you need.

post #93 of 1048 (permalink) Old 2006-11-30, 09:02 PM

To Momotte:
Remember that the digital channel number (like 5.1) is not necessarily related to the actual frequency being used... the perfect example is Ch 5 (WPTZ, NBC) which is actullay broadcasting on UHF ch 14 (but appears as 5.1 and 5.2).
I believe in this area the only VHF digital channel being broadcast is Ch 22 (analog) which is now broadcasting digital on VHF 13... I am trold that the 4228 will cover that frequency... there are some posters on this board that seem to be getting CH 13 with that antenna... I am using a 4 bay bowtie and I get zip.... even WPTZ and WFFF are marginal depending on the weather... if you are getting WPTZ (with its poor signal) you should get WCAX (3.1 and 3.2) as well.
I would like to see your installation...you cannot be too far from me... I am at the dead end of the dead end of Place des Rapides.
Ted

post #94 of 1048 (permalink) Old 2006-11-30, 09:06 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Remapping and PSIP Data

Quote:
Remember that the digital channel number (like 5.1) is not necessarily related to the actual frequency being used... the perfect example is Ch 5 (WPTZ, NBC) which is actullay broadcasting on UHF ch 14 (but appears as 5.1 and 5.2).
Yes that's a very important point about Digital OTA. It is called "remapping" and it is done with PSIP data. The OTA Forum Knowledge Base & FAQ explains both.

In the case above, we say that Channel 14.1 remaps to 5.1 while 14.2 remaps to 5.2 and on and on... only Digital OTA does remapping and PSIP. Someday when analogue is shut down it will be much simpler for consumers to remember!

post #95 of 1048 (permalink) Old 2006-12-01, 10:24 AM
Kro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro View Post
You maybe right it look like Adjacent Channel Interference
see fig 11-4 and 11.5 (http://www.pctinternational.com/chan...stallation.pdf) i'm experiencing both at the same time .

I was not thinking about that because 46 is so low power that it's more difficult to receive than 22 analog.
I checked yesterday and it's SRC! But I cannot find from where it would be broadcast... Let's assume it's comming from the back would putting aluminum foil on the back of my CM4221 would help? I will try it this week-end see if it has any effect on anything.
post #96 of 1048 (permalink) Old 2006-12-01, 10:45 AM

Stampeder... a quick question... can the weather have a severe effect on UHF reception.... there are times when a signal is 90%, then drops to 71%. I am using an EVU 9200 so the signal strength meter does not register below about 55%...a real problem. It seems that WPTZ and WFFF 5.x and 44.x) drop out all the way to zero... while WCAX and Vermont ETV (3.x and 33.x) just show a signal drop.
I assume that 5.x and 44.x are still having problems or running at reduced power, since all these stations come from the same location. Any thoughts?
I have chaged the balun, rerouted the 300 ohm from the terminals to the balun to avoid metal, etc.... all on a Philips / Gemini 1483 4 bay bowtie.
Tnx.
post #97 of 1048 (permalink) Old 2006-12-01, 05:35 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
...can the weather have a severe effect on UHF reception...
Yes, rain and snow can cause signal loss, but in the winter there is also a bit of a rise because trees have lost their leaves. In the case of Burlington stations they are booming north from a mountain valley so if a storm is moving through that valley there might be some signal changes. Generally a preamp will eliminate most of those problems.

post #98 of 1048 (permalink) Old 2006-12-01, 09:05 PM

Kro you get ABC with your VHF antenna or both, and do you also have link for that delhi cause i can't find nothing on it.

thanks i want to get ABCHD so bad
post #99 of 1048 (permalink) Old 2006-12-04, 10:55 AM
Kro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchmaN View Post
Kro you get ABC with your VHF antenna or both, and do you also have link for that delhi cause i can't find nothing on it.

thanks i want to get ABCHD so bad
You could find it on www.wade-antenna.com But there's no gain chart...(Nothing usefull). Anyway I would not recommand it unless your in my situation.(Attic installation and I need Analog Low VHF for the other TV's). I would much more recommand a channel cut to VHF 13, 11 elements (There's also a 5 elements if space is a concern) you can have it at raybel they cost less than 100$ (If i remember well it's 65$ and 85$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchmaN View Post
Kro you get ABC with your VHF antenna or both
What do you mean? The CM-4221 (UHF) and the Delhi (VHF) are join together using a UFH/VHF combiner. The loss is impercetible for UHF (I did not try the VHF alone).
post #100 of 1048 (permalink) Old 2006-12-04, 01:53 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro View Post
I would much more recommand a channel cut to VHF 13, 11 elements
That's a good idea because it will reject local VHF signals, but if you buy a single cut antenna you might have to wait for delivery for it.

If your location is not bothered by VHF channel interference from the local stations you can buy a VHF/FM and get one much easier and you will also get FM radio stations from Vermont too for years and years to come.

Its up to the consumer though. People in Montreal have had serious problems with the local VHF stations.

post #101 of 1048 (permalink) Old 2006-12-04, 04:19 PM

Since there are no plans for DT station in the Montreal area operating in the VHF range I would seriously consider a specific cut CH 13 antenna.

Stampeder do you know if this is available from most providers such as Wade?

If I want to install one on the same mast as my CM4228, how far must they be from each other?
post #102 of 1048 (permalink) Old 2006-12-04, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceHog View Post
do you know if this is available from most providers such as Wade?
Just checked today - Ch 13 5 element is $86 for a Wade 5Y13S... nice and short, too. That was from Montcalm in Laval.... proabaly similar pricng at other Wade dealers. Now the question is: how well will a 5 element work on ch 13 from Mt. Mansfied...
We need a guinea pig to try it out.
post #103 of 1048 (permalink) Old 2006-12-04, 05:03 PM

I bought a 10-element channel 13 antenna for Raybel but still can't get a reliable signal from WVNY with it in Longueuil (near the tunnel).

The one I have was actually a higher-end copper one that they sold me about two years ago for the same price as the aluminium one you guys mentioned (about $80).

Keep in mind though that CFTM (TVA) does intend to use channel 10 for digital service.
post #104 of 1048 (permalink) Old 2006-12-05, 10:11 AM
Kro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceHog View Post
Tried to move the antenna around in approximately 5 deg increments but I was never able to get all US channels along with CBC/SRC. I tried to join the CM4228 with the Silver Sensor but that just opened the door for weird stuff!
Do you have two entry for antenna/cable on your TV? I would try the Silver Sensor indoor plug in the second entry. Never tried it with DT would it work? In analog UHF channel are not map at there normal position but it work.
post #105 of 1048 (permalink) Old 2006-12-05, 02:36 PM
Kro

WVNY

All: Are you able to tune any of these analog VHF
3 (CBS)
5 (NBC)
9 (SRC)

Now try to tune them with your VCR.

Is the VCR able to tune any of them?

What are your result with WVNY (ABC-dt)?

Tags
montreal , pbs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in